U Tag - I.C.E.

Keep it under the seat, and have a sticker made up saying ICE tag under seat?

But for what its worth, that would make no difference to emergency services anyway, as we wouldnt take your bike to bits looking for something we cant use.

yep it was used when i was not in a position to speak for my self, take the piss if u like, it doe's the job, hope fully u will never have to find out.rob.

Ambulance Crews in Northern Ireland have no method of retrieving the data on one of these devices in the event of an accident. Any Accident and Emergency department here will also be unable to gain access to the information stored on such devices. A suggestion is to wear a Medic Alert bracelet, the ICE number on the mobile phone and carry a small laminated card in your wallet with list of medication, National Insurance number, next of kin etc. Ambulance crews will look for these first, speaking from experience.

Mr Furry1, can you elaborate a bit on the, ''i used it when i couldn't speak for myself'' part please.
As i am in emergency services, and have no idea how one would use such a device, as i have stated on numerous occasions, we have no way of accessing your information roadside!!

Either that or you use it to communicate as your seemingly lack of basic spelling int tat gud.

Piss taking apart, others and i are genuinely interested.

I've been reading this thread as it has progressed from the start, as my friend sells both the dog tag and the credit card in his shop, just as a sort of unnoficial consumer survey type thing. I also have a professional interest having had to deal with far to many near & fatal road crashes.

I know that different areas of the emergency sevices have different operating procedures and the priorities regarding these mean that different information is needed at the roadside. I would certainly agree that at present there is no method of retrieving data at the roadside from a USB device, however that does mean that this idea should not be brought to the attention of the management structure of whatever emergency service you work for.

As far as identification of someone involved in a road crash. If you are unconscious or worse then even with a photo of yourself and personal details attached to it no confirmation of identification will be made. The information from whatever source, including a driving licence, will be added to that established from other checks of the vehicle registered keeper and other sources to give an indication of who you should be.

As i am in emergency services, and have no idea how one would use such a device

As far as the above statement goes you have to be having a laugh. If that is an honest and serious comment then have you read this thread from the start. Its a USB you stick it in a computer.

As with any form of medical or personal information it can only be used to assist those dealing with you to make a judgement call. Most if not all in the A&E dept will react to what is in front of them inresponse to the information they have obtained through tests they have carried out. Ambulance personel will do their best to get you there.

If you want to carry something with your information on it keep it on you person not in/on the vehicle. Also keep your vehicle record up to date with DVLA.

I personally think the idea of the UTAG is sound but the marketing appears to me to be slightly flawed in so far as the product has been placed without informing the services that would be using it what it actually is. If you want something that can be accessed at the scene then it would have to be written. Your mobile phone should not be accessed by any emergency services.

This whole thread has made me have a rethink about the information I carry or dont as it is at present.

Good luck with anything you decide to do in relation to all this and I hope it never needs to be used.

.. Your mobile phone should not be accessed by any emergency services.
Not being funny C, but do you really mean "should not" or is that meant to mean "would not" be accessed by any emergency services? If emergency services should not be accessing your mobile phone, then what's the point of having ICE numbers on them? :nenau

As far as the above statement goes you have to be having a laugh. If that is an honest and serious comment then have you read this thread from the start. Its a USB you stick it in a computer.

read the rest of the sentence mate - he says there is no way to access the usb stick in the ambulance or at the hospital as the usb ports are blocked, rather than not knowing what a usb stick is

I spent many years working in A&E and to be honest if you have a serious accident the last thing the A&E team would want to do is start trying to get info off a USB stick. The emergency services don't want much info, who you are is a good start but your driving license covers this. Any allergies and serious illness would be useful, but keep it simple an engraved dog tag or medic alert would be perfect and can be read in seconds. You can have you blood group tattoed on your forehead and no one will take any notice. you'll get O-ve until cross matched blood is available. I have looked in phones in the past for info so its worth putting your details in.

I spent many years working in A&E and to be honest if you have a serious accident the last thing the A&E team would want to do is start trying to get info off a USB stick. The emergency services don't want much info, who you are is a good start but your driving license covers this. Any allergies and serious illness would be useful, but keep it simple an engraved dog tag or medic alert would be perfect and can be read in seconds. You can have you blood group tattoed on your forehead and no one will take any notice. you'll get O-ve until cross matched blood is available. I have looked in phones in the past for info so its worth putting your details in.

:thumb This is the way to go, an engraved dog tag and a screensaver on your phone with your personal details.

Swissrob
read the rest of the sentence mate - he says there is no way to access the usb stick in the ambulance or at the hospital as the usb ports are blocked, rather than not knowing what a usb stick is

Mr Furry1, can you elaborate a bit on the, ''i used it when i couldn't speak for myself'' part please.
As i am in emergency services, and have no idea how one would use such a device, as i have stated on numerous occasions, we have no way of accessing your information roadside!!

Either that or you use it to communicate as your seemingly lack of basic spelling int tat gud.

Piss taking apart, others and i are genuinely interested.

I have read it again and with the punctuation he has in his post I read it as

1 - As i am in emergency services, and have no idea how one would use such a device

2 - as i have stated on numerous occasions, we have no way of accessing your information roadside

Any ambulance personel with whom I have dealt with at the roadside has only taken details which have been confirmed there by others who know the injured party.

Taff
I cant say what protocols are in place for ambulance or fire service regarding accessing mobile phones. As far as our dept is concerned we should not and do not access mobile phones for ICE or any other details. Answering incoming calls is a judgement call depending on the circumstances.

As far as what is the point of ICE numbers someone probably thought it was a good idea, a bit like UTAG.

... The emergency services don't want much info, who you are is a good start but your driving license covers this.
But surely most people don't carry their driving license on them. Mine for example stays at home in the filing cabinet, and very rarely sees the light of day.

But surely most people don't carry their driving license on them. Mine for example stays at home in the filing cabinet, and very rarely sees the light of day.

most do carry a wallet or something, id think theres usually enough in there to say who you are ?

But surely most people don't carry their driving license on them

Taff

I know that most who have the photocard style carry it as its quite easy. As someone posted earlier maybe something along the same lines would be more easily accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Loveday
... The emergency services don't want much info, who you are is a good start but your driving license covers this.

Of course not everyone has their driving license with them all the time, but keeping it in your wallet is a simpler and better solution than a USB stick. If you arrive at A&E after a major crash your kit will be removed in about 20 seconds with a pair of tuff cuts, the resus team will look in your wallet and pockets to id you, they will not go looking for a PC. If you really have important info you need the hospital to know then write it down and keep it in you pocket/wallet/round neck etc etc above all keep it simple

Sorry guys. Not read all 5 pages of this thread my apologies if the link has been in a previous post.

This one has been around for a while

http://www.sostalisman.co.uk/

quick simple and I would imagine easily recognised by medics.

Just trying to help :thumb

As your on the slab the doctors will be thinking your spares for someone else and be measuring your up for the much smaller coffin you'll need once they've nicked your liver, kidneys, heart, lung and eye's apparently they can now transplant arms, legs and noses. Whatever is left will be sold in the Hospital shop for JU-JU charms. So I recommend you best stay awake after a crash and tell'em to farkoff.

mean while at the time who ever is rifling your pockets won't care a jot about a USB key they'll be more interested in any cash, jewellery and yer gold teef.

I welcome you to the modern NHS....

Your bike has a license plate? The bacon will know who you are soon enough and who to phone, and if your that far out of it I'd rather give that time for the honest well meaning qacks to work their magic than have my family heading for the MSRA wards at speed, in a state of distress and likley to have a crash themselves. Needing yet more usless USB sticks that no one would bother looking at under the circumstance described.

I like the idea of having information when on a big trip in one place but have always found it's simpler to have it in a ziplock bag, plus scanning and emailing everything to myself or have it on the back of my website with a secure log on. Rather than something that's been dreamed up by some freelance puppy of war:blast

I like the marketing and website that his team have come up with but there has to be a simpler way to earn £3.00 per unit sold while your writing a real life account of being at the frontline waiting your turn to appear on dragon's den.:augie

ok columbus, my meaning was that in my fire engine, we have no way of using a USB device, as its a fire engine, and usually we are first on scene at a RTC. So a USB is useless, also the ambulance crews who attend dont have computers either, so again, as i have said many many times, these devices are not meant for roadside assistance.

As it stands right now, the NHS wont allow a usb device to be installed into their network, due to corrupt files, etc etc, so its a no there then.

I understand the product completely, but a dog tag is by far the best roadside knowledge assistance, if the rider is unable to answer for themselves.

As Ian Loveday says too, we are not wanting much info, and this devise seems far too tech, when cheaper simple easier items are available.

And i was really looking forward to furry1's reply as he seems to have used it when he couldnt speak for himself:confused:

I've followed this thread with interest, 'cos it's an issue which has concerned us professionally.

I was given a U-tag last year and had a good old poke around it with a view to using it for all of our customers- Riding in Morocco is potentially quite dangerous and we were looking for a way of trying to deal efficiently with the worst-case scenario if it ever happens:(

We rejected the U tag for pretty much the reasons above- that it wouldn't be used by those who would need the info and therefore it probably wasn't worth the effort or cost of supplying them and encouraging their use.

Instead, we produced a PDF form that we ask each customer to fill in- it lists name, contact details, allergies, current drugs being taken, GP contact details and various other things- we then keep a copy in the support vehicle for the duration of the trip (destroying them afterwards) and encourage the riders to keep a copy with their other documents on the bike.

Fortunately we've not had to refer to one yet and I sincerely hope we never will, but it's there and if we have to use it, hopefully it'll work.

I like the idea of making it into a wallet sized document though- might well put some thought into producing one of those soon :thumb2

i think this needs moving to a poll, to gauge if we would buy and use one or not, as we keep going over and over the same old stuff:blagblah

Back
Top Bottom