U Tag - I.C.E.

Bill do you have a secret sentence for your punters if it really goes bad?

i.c.e tag

hi, info on my use of the ice tag, i had blacked out on the pavment going to work, on that day the only form of information on me was the ice tag, the person who found me did not know me so i have assumed right or wronge that some body in the medical system knew what to do with my tag's. hope this help's. rob.

I bought one at last year's MotoGP race at Donington. I wear it constantly alongside my St Christopher and shwer with it on every day. It still works a treat and I take a lot of medication due to a chronic spinal injury so it might just save my life.

Hope it's never used in anger though!

Just to add further ''dirt'' to this,

OK assume you take medication for whaterver, and on your tag it states 20cc of say xvx to aid your condition,
you go to the doctors, they then remove said medication, and say you need 40cc of vxv, as the previous medication was causing you some other problem.
on your way home you collect said new medication, take it, then get knocked from your bike, and unconscious.
along comes friendly ambulance crew, who assuming they can access ice tag, sees that you require 20cc of old medication, and give you it.
bearing in mind you have just been taken off it and had it replaced, of which you have already taken the new stuff.
oops now deep kaka, over prescribed and probably needing a lot of further medical care, hopefully not the mortician.
all because the medical staff assumed from your details, rather than allowing the natural medical information kept on your medical files once at hospital.

only a thought:rolleyes:

Forgot,

Thanks for that furry1, it doesnt however answer the question of how they used it, if at all.
If i came across someone blacked out, firstly i would check vital signs, airway, breathing, circulation etc, if there was any of those, i would then conduct secondary searches, injury, possible reasons for blackout, and then medical reasons. Possible that person was diabetic and had hypo, or hyper. From the vital signs its fairly straightforward to assess where to go next with help.
Trained medical staff would only use such info from a tag, if firstly they could access it, and secondly they matched up with what vital signs you were showing.

So its possible all they took from your tag was next of kin, of which they could have got from a engraved dog tag perhaps?

Again only my thoughts.

ps, your spelling is better:thumb

Bumped, as there may be more info coming on if these are effective or not from Mort's thread here

(I hope there is, 'cos if they do work as the idea was intentioned they should, they could be great:thumb2)

I didnt think that Morts thread was the place to comment, but I have to say I think that these are a complete con. I am sure that if the emergency services had time, and they had computers at the scene, and they were allowed access to the usb port it may be of some use but as they dont its pointless, the ONLY time the info can be accessed is at the hospital, and USB access for memory sticks is supposed to be barred across the whole of the NHS on their networks, so you have to hope for a hospital with a stand alone computer that somebody A) can use and B) actually has time to use. I cannot conceive of any set of circumstances where anyone is going to bother trying to access the information even if they could, you are very very lucky if you get them to look at a medic alert and that dont need a computer.

I actually bothered to do some checking, NO emergency service in Greater London has access to computers with access to USB drive devices.
I have a few friends who were also interested and between us we are either in or know people in each of the emergency services, I will allow that this is completely unscientific but we could not find a single police, fire, or ambulance service anywhere in England that has the equipment and the ability to use a USB stick at the scene of an incident, so that leaves hospitals as the only place the info can be of any use.

I defiantly think the money is better spent on dog tags or medic alert

WHY dont people read?

update, been discussing this again with people who are in the know, and once again

NOT ONE PERSON IN ANY MEDICAL FIELD THINKS THEY ARE WORTH IT, IF THE INFORMATION TAKES LONGER THAN 20 SECONDS TO FIND, READ AND DELIVER.

IF YOU WERE RUSHED INTO HOSPITAL, REGARDLESS OF WHAT YOU HAVE ON YOU, THESE DOCTORS/NURSES/SURGEONS ALL ARE VERY HIGHLY TRAINED,

EVEN ABROAD, A UTAG IS USELESS AS IT HAS NO MEANING.........

please just carry a card, with name, address, and contact numbers (for the police to use i may add)

i have had my say now, so unless anyone wants to discuss emergency first aid, i have said my bit.:type

Back
Top Bottom