What to pack?

Sgt Bilco

Dream Maker
Mod Squad
Reaction score
Packing for the USA summer.​

As this trip is in the summer, you really won`t need to take mountains of kit. We won`t be camping but if you want to bring some camping things and try it out no problem but I will warn you that camping in 100+ degrees is not pleasant in my experience anyway. Campsites are around $20 a night which is not much cheaper than sharing a motel.

The weather is guaranteed to be hot for the most part in July but can still be cool at altitude in June. It can also be pretty cool on the West Coast and in San Francisco. It`s called the June gloom and gets decidedly chilly in the mist around the Bay area. There is virtually no chance of rain but if it does, it will dry up quickly. Please remember that you will have to carry all this on the flight out so pack light. You will also have to pack the same bag for the return flight and we won`t have a support crew in a Toyota following along! My packlist will be as follows:

Bike gear

1 pair Draggin jeans which I like to ride in
1 pair lightweight and comfy bike boots
Vented summer jacket (twat jacket or similar)
Cool base layer
Buff
Crash helmet with black visor (very dark visors can be bought in the US)
Lightweight summer gloves.
Light waterproof trousers (just in case)
Camelbak
Bike spares: I will cover this in another thread.

Personal gear

3 old t-shirts
4 pairs pants and socks
Lightweight fleece (in case it gets chilly at night)
1 pair trainers or equivalent
Flip flops
1 pair of jeans or lightweight trousers
1 pair shorts
1 pair swim shorts
Cap
1 pair good quality sunglasses
Wash bag and light towel
Sunblock and lipsalve.
Credit Card: Mastercard is favoured out there.
Camera (with charger)
Notebook
Maps: (better to buy in the USA and you can get free ones at info centres)
GPS: I will have mine with full US mapping. There is no real need for anyone else to have one unless you really feel the need to look at long straight roads on a 2” screen. Anyway, the Garmin mapping is around £110...!! I use the GPS as a double check of where I am and do not rely on it! I`m old school and love maps!
Helmet or video cam: I have a helmet cam but it`s a great thing for you to have for your own view and of course “your piece to camera” every evening.

You shouldn`t need any more than this. There are laundromats in every town and most motels and are about $2.50 a wash. The reason I take old t-shirts etc is because you are bound to buy those souvenier t-shirts with “I Love Vegas” or something so you can sling the old ones. Please remember that you can buy anything you need in the US at a better price than here. You also don`t need to dress for dinner in the US.

I mentioned that it will be hot. It will get to around 120 degrees in Death Valley and you will be in that for a few hours so you have to be prepared. I`ve learned to my cost how to ride in extreme heat and just because you are riding doesn`t mean it will be cooler. It`s the exact opposite and it`s like riding in a fan oven. The general rules are:

Keep yourself covered at all times i.e no t-shirt and shorts.
Wear a technical base layer.
If your skin is exposed or you have all the vents in your jacket open, the hot air dries your sweat and you WILL overheat and get dehydration.
Lightweight Buff around your neck soaked in water.
Dark visor + sunglasses. The sun is very strong and bright here.
Plenty of sun block on your face as you will get sunburnt even through a visor.
Lip salve because dried and chapped lips are painful and can really ruin your day.

These may seem an over exaggeration but I`ve learned from bitter experience that you have to prepare for riding in the heat in the same way as you would in the cold.

Good hydration is also extremely important. I always carry lots of water. You can have a camelback as well but I`ve found the water gets very hot so keep bottles in my tank bag. The secret is on the morning of a very hot day, drink around a litre of water when you get up (or an hour before you depart), light breakfast with juice but no coffee. This will hydrate you right up and then you will be fine as long as you drink a little and often. Drink Gatorade as well and snack on salty pretzels.

As always, if you have any questions or other observations just let me know.

A very helpful thread Chris. Thanks. :thumb2

I don't drink coffee so am going to take a box of teabags with me. :)

A very helpful thread Chris. Thanks. :thumb2

I don't drink coffee so am going to take a box of teabags with me. :)

No coffee...:eek: A pal of mine has a sticker on his pannier which says "As long as I have coffee, everyone will survive". That`s how I feel:thumb

Yep, tea bags are essential as they really haven`t a clue out there:thumb...:blast

Similar list as I'd use for Himalayan travel,take old pants and T shirts as you say , I did the same and threw each away after 4 -6 days!!:eek: There arn't quite the number of Laundrettes out there!!Travel as light as you can and yes stuff is always available.Absolutlet agree on Hydration 3 litre camel back is a must The Kreiga one especially good . Good Kit List for any trip though!!:thumb

Just a thought...

Won't be able to join you on this trip. but have done parts of it before. A few observations...
Agree with the Sarge - don't underestimate the heat. We rode across the desert into Vegas (on a hired Gold Wing) and thermometer read 117 degrees. Guy we met who came the other way (Death Valley) experienced 126 degrees. For hours. SWMBO got a burn on her leg, cos the sun was so strong on her black textile trousers, it burned the skin underneath...
If you put ice in the Camelback it helps, and Camelback sell an insulated drinking tube that works really well.
I used technical underwear (T-shirts/shorts) - and only needed three of each for the entire trip (3 weeks) - actually could have done OK with just two. Rohan make good stuff - expensive, but lasts for YEARS!. For the hot stuff, I bought a gel-filled neckerchief that you soak in water - cools the neck by evaporation and really did work. Cool the neck, cool the blood supply to the brain, no heatstroke...
Zion is amazing - the ride in is beyond belief... Canyon itself is fantastic - especially if you're on the first bus of the morning - nobody there, even in summer. Later, it's packed.
If you can make it up to Arches NP, that's amazing too...
Having a GPS is not essential, but provided me with a classic line (this was in Wyoming). Turned Betty on, input the destination and she said, "Drive 241 miles, then turn right!" Classic...
Have fun and ... have fun.

P.S if anyone needs photos, let me know...

Packing for the USA summer.​

As this trip is in the summer, you really won`t need to take mountains of kit. We won`t be camping but if you want to bring some camping things and try it out no problem but I will warn you that camping in 100+ degrees is not pleasant in my experience anyway. Campsites are around $20 a night which is not much cheaper than sharing a motel.

The weather is guaranteed to be hot for the most part in July but can still be cool at altitude in June. It can also be pretty cool on the West Coast and in San Francisco. It`s called the June gloom and gets decidedly chilly in the mist around the Bay area. There is virtually no chance of rain but if it does, it will dry up quickly. Please remember that you will have to carry all this on the flight out so pack light. You will also have to pack the same bag for the return flight and we won`t have a support crew in a Toyota following along! My packlist will be as follows:

Bike gear

1 pair Draggin jeans which I like to ride in
1 pair lightweight and comfy bike boots
Vented summer jacket (twat jacket or similar)
Cool base layer
Buff
Crash helmet with black visor (very dark visors can be bought in the US)
Lightweight summer gloves.
Light waterproof trousers (just in case)
Camelbak
Bike spares: I will cover this in another thread.

Personal gear

3 old t-shirts
4 pairs pants and socks
Lightweight fleece (in case it gets chilly at night)
1 pair trainers or equivalent
Flip flops
1 pair of jeans or lightweight trousers
1 pair shorts
1 pair swim shorts
Cap
1 pair good quality sunglasses
Wash bag and light towel
Sunblock and lipsalve.
Credit Card: Mastercard is favoured out there.
Camera (with charger)
Notebook
Maps: (better to buy in the USA and you can get free ones at info centres)
GPS: I will have mine with full US mapping. There is no real need for anyone else to have one unless you really feel the need to look at long straight roads on a 2” screen. Anyway, the Garmin mapping is around £110...!! I use the GPS as a double check of where I am and do not rely on it! I`m old school and love maps!
Helmet or video cam: I have a helmet cam but it`s a great thing for you to have for your own view and of course “your piece to camera” every evening.

You shouldn`t need any more than this. There are laundromats in every town and most motels and are about $2.50 a wash. The reason I take old t-shirts etc is because you are bound to buy those souvenier t-shirts with “I Love Vegas” or something so you can sling the old ones. Please remember that you can buy anything you need in the US at a better price than here. You also don`t need to dress for dinner in the US.

I mentioned that it will be hot. It will get to around 120 degrees in Death Valley and you will be in that for a few hours so you have to be prepared. I`ve learned to my cost how to ride in extreme heat and just because you are riding doesn`t mean it will be cooler. It`s the exact opposite and it`s like riding in a fan oven. The general rules are:

Keep yourself covered at all times i.e no t-shirt and shorts.
Wear a technical base layer.
If your skin is exposed or you have all the vents in your jacket open, the hot air dries your sweat and you WILL overheat and get dehydration.
Lightweight Buff around your neck soaked in water.
Dark visor + sunglasses. The sun is very strong and bright here.
Plenty of sun block on your face as you will get sunburnt even through a visor.
Lip salve because dried and chapped lips are painful and can really ruin your day.

These may seem an over exaggeration but I`ve learned from bitter experience that you have to prepare for riding in the heat in the same way as you would in the cold.

Good hydration is also extremely important. I always carry lots of water. You can have a camelback as well but I`ve found the water gets very hot so keep bottles in my tank bag. The secret is on the morning of a very hot day, drink around a litre of water when you get up (or an hour before you depart), light breakfast with juice but no coffee. This will hydrate you right up and then you will be fine as long as you drink a little and often. Drink Gatorade as well and snack on salty pretzels.

As always, if you have any questions or other observations just let me know.

I'm not packing ALL THAT Chris :augie :D

:aidan

don't underestimate the heat. We rode across the desert into Vegas (on a hired Gold Wing) and thermometer read 117 degrees. Guy we met who came the other way (Death Valley) experienced 126 degrees. For hours. SWMBO got a burn on her leg, cos the sun was so strong on her black textile trousers, it burned the skin underneath...

Feck. :eek::eek:

And you though the Irish summer was hot:eek: We`ll cross Death Valley in the early morning so no real worries.

It`s all about the preperation but early June won`t be so bad. It will be in the high 80`s and low 90`s across the mid west so get used to it:Motomartin

And you though the Irish summer was hot:eek: We`ll cross Death Valley in the early morning so no real worries.

It`s all about the preperation but early June won`t be so bad. It will be in the high 80`s and low 90`s across the mid west so get used to it:Motomartin

I bought my first bit of technical clothes this week, hoping it doesn't rot in Morocco....:(

Back
Top Bottom