which foot down first - stopping

Gets quite interesting if you happen to have an old British bike and a modern bike.

Maybe you decide which bike to ride by thinking which foot shall I put down today.

Doh! That's what I'm doing wrong. Your meant to put a foot down when you stop.
the-simpsons-homer-thinking-100x100.png

Have a looky

I use my left,its the way I was taught and more important it works for me.Have seen plenty of bikers from beginners to Police instructors use both so why not do what you think is best.If you use left or right you can still cover a brake so who gives a sh#t.

Have a look at this:thumb2

Hi,
Had a really good exhange of views to-day, with a couple of other bikers.. (whilst stopping off for a coffee with wife+ gsa) ,on which :
foot should go down first when breaking ( coming to a stop/halt)
I am quite sure and I always do this, is that the left foot goes down first as the right foot covers the rear brake. The other guys were quite firm in that it does not matter.

I am not a newbie biker, been riding for over 15 years, but have I got it wrong all this time ?

thanks
dxtans

which foot does wifey normally tell you to put down:augie:D

I know id put whatever foot down this Italian Police officer told me to put down
:spank

Attachments

• 15507830-O [640x480].jpg
    15507830-O [640x480].jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 287
Hey,I saw her first:pullface.

anyway if it ever happened I don't think you would have to much of a wait:thumb

keep em both on the pegs

Dont really see the point of putting either foot down!:)

Attachments

• home safe.jpg
    home safe.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 325
There is only one foot to put down when you come to a stop, the right one, meaning the right one for the circumstances.

I am an IAM observer and a ROSPA Rider, much depends on the instructor or Observer but in our clubs we dont insist on either foot, we look for a sparkling safe ride end of, you will not fail any advanced test by using either foot, what ever is right or dafe at the time is the correct foot.

Advanced riding is not about doing what your'e told its about analyzing your ride and training yourself to read the information and make a good decision.

There is only one foot to put down when you come to a stop, the right one, meaning the right one for the circumstances.

I am an IAM observer and a ROSPA Rider, much depends on the instructor or Observer but in our clubs we dont insist on either foot, we look for a sparkling safe ride end of, you will not fail any advanced test by using either foot, what ever is right or dafe at the time is the correct foot.

Advanced riding is not about doing what your'e told its about analyzing your ride and training yourself to read the information and make a good decision.

As long as you do whatever the 'system' at the time dictates!:augie

So hoisting a minger of a wheelie is ok, as long as you check your mirrors, ensure that the road is of a suitable surface to obtain the traction required, the crowd are behind a fence and there's no traffic :augie:augie:augie:thumb

but since he's and instructor and so am i, the only foot to put down when coming to a halt is the left foot. End of.

Left foot goes down so that rear brake can be applied untill completely stopped and also if your left foot slips once you stop, you fall to the pavement.....not the road.

Its a simple as that.

:blast

You have never ridden a British bike then, or a Morini, or an early Ducati come to that...you want to cover the rear brake? Put your right foot down for right foot change on bikes, I think the Bonnie finally got left foot gear change in 1977 with the Jubilee edition......I could be wrong.But sometime around then. I don't know about early BMWs, but I only got a left change bike for the first time in about 1985 with my Ducati 900SS Darmah, but i had the Morini then still at the same time. i could get off one and on the other - it was far more natural to ride the right foot change bike - I found I could go back to that faster than changing sides to the left...does that make me a right dresser? Or just a right Tosser?

I agree about the covering the back brake bit - but that does NOT always mean the left foot to go down....so how do you combat that one then?:cool

I was taught to put the gear foot down first as the other should be on the brake. If you have a 1200 gs or another bike with linked brakes it doesn't matter as much, I suppose. I got into the habbit of putting both feet down, especially when carrying a pillion, just for extra stability. Now I have a dakar I've got back into the left foot down right foot braking as I don't really use the front brake when doing 2 mph, I also steer slightly to the right just before stoping to ensure the bike tips the right way.

Back
Top Bottom