All because the lady loves....

Klanky

Reaction score
...Harrods champagne.

She had some at a friends house earlier this year and it's quite nice - so's their own label Claret and Sancerre. So I thought Id be a decent chap and get her some for her burfday on Xmas Eve.

It's too late to guarantee delivery up to me. so the only option was to go and pick some up....from John O'Groats :eek

So off we went.

I was going to post some stunning piccies of the A9 and The Ord to start with, but it was slashing it down with stunning rain and blowing a stunning hooley - so feck that. The piccies here were taken on my mobile, so they're not brilliant.

Dowm to Brora and turn off past the Clynelish distillery and up Strath Brora, well out of the wind.

Attachments

• IMAGE_019.jpg
    IMAGE_019.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 205
  • IMAGE_021.jpg
    IMAGE_021.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 205
Nice empty roads eventually coming out on the A839 at Rogart. There's some railway carriages converted into a hostel/bunkhouse here.

http://www.sleeperzzz.com/

Attachments

• IMAGE_022.jpg
    IMAGE_022.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 197
Last edited:
And then on to Lairg, I decided to follow a little gllen to see where it went and came to a large shed....owned by Harrods...blimey, what a result!

No slog down to London for me, then.:bounce1

Attachments

• IMAGE_023.jpg
    IMAGE_023.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 195
You forgot to take a pic of ol' Fayed himself (wi his dug) :blast

Falls of Shin is a very popular place in the summer - were there many visiters when you went?

Al :thumb2

So, I've got some time on my hands and decide to head up through Sutherland towards Altnaharra.

Hurry up taking the photies...I hear banjos....

Then turned right at Altnaharra along the side of Loch Naver and up towards Syre.

Attachments

• IMAGE_025.jpg
    IMAGE_025.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 192
  • IMAGE_024.jpg
    IMAGE_024.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 193
  • IMAGE_026.jpg
    IMAGE_026.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAGE_027.jpg
    IMAGE_027.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 192
A quick detour to take a photie of the Garvault Hotel....the mostest remotest hotel in Scotland (good place to stay, too. very quiet and a total chill)at the foot of Ben Griam Mor , then carry on up Strath Naver coming out at Bettyhill on the North Coast...

On to Melvich and the Halladale Inn - home of the worlds best beef lasagne and a regular stop-off of mine.

Back into Caithness (no more banjos - just the sound of drunken brawling coming from Wick)

And then past Dounreay...hurry up taking the photies - I'm starting to glow.....

Attachments

• b17 2nd lot 013.jpg
    b17 2nd lot 013.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAGE_029.jpg
    IMAGE_029.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 189
  • IMAGE_030.jpg
    IMAGE_030.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 191
  • IMAGE_031.jpg
    IMAGE_031.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 187
And finally back to Keiss, jus' sarf of John O'Groats.

Home of Klanky's secret bunker...170 miles round trip...mission accomplished.

A good day out, and I've worked out that you can get lots of bottles in a set of Vario panniers, gonna fill 'em right up next time.:ChrisKelly

Attachments

• IMAGE_033.jpg
    IMAGE_033.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 186
You forgot to take a pic of ol' Fayed himself (wi his dug) :blast

Falls of Shin is a very popular place in the summer - were there many visiters when you went?

Al :thumb2

He'd taken his dowg fer a dump...

I was there yesterday (Monday), it was very quiet about two in the afternoon. But i know that if you go at the weekends on the run up to Xmas it is heaving. But they always have something on to entertain the kids etc.

I guess any time during the week would avoid the majority of the Great Unwashed.

It was bloody cold down Glen Shin, down to freezing.....4-5 degrees everywhere else.

Harrod's Champagne got trounced by a bottle from Aldi (£9.99) in a recent tasting in some fancy magazine that I was reading in a Chinkies recently whilst waiting on my low calorie Chicken Curry Fried Rice.

Sorry for thread Hi Jack...:ronno

Harrod's Champagne got trounced by a bottle from Aldi (£9.99) in a recent tasting in some fancy magazine that I was reading in a Chinkies recently whilst waiting on my low calorie Chicken Curry Fried Rice.........................

Wouldn't suprise me at all, Ronno.
Having said that, the Harrods label stuff is reasonably priced £22 for the Champs, £10 for the Sancerre and £7.50 for the Claret (I'm sure they charged me the wrong price for that - I thought it was a tenner)- so although I'm sure you pay for the 'label', it's not a bad price.

And wot the Lady wants...she gets.:bow

cheers for posting the pics,
some great wee roads up there.
Ive no been naver/altnaharra/ben hope roads for too long now, aboot 4 months.
cheers again,
capt.

Nice empty roads eventually coming out on the A839 at Rogart. There's some railway carriages converted into a hostel/bunkhouse here.

http://www.sleeperzzz.com/

We had a GS outing up there a few years back and its ideal as there is a pub about 100 yards aways serving fine food and ales...maybe we should go back there in the Spring as its a great part of teh Country as well:thumb:thumb

AndyT:thumb

Back
Top Bottom