450x front sprockets

Sammo

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Has anyone fitted a smaller front sprocket? if so was it easy and has it made a big difference?

It will take no more than 20 - 25 mins first time you do it.

Was well easy, follow the manual, but I took the chain off first then the rear wheel. Slacken the three bolts on the swing arm, undo the pivot bolt and withdraw it, move the swing arm back out of the way and then you can get at the two bolts that hold the sprocket on.

Replace in the reverse order.

Makes the bike much easier to ride off-road with smaller gear on the front.

What sprocket did you fit as mine came with the largest one fitted to the bike, i have two smaller ones 13 and 14 teeth.

the people i taked to had the 14/48 for dutch enduro conditions.

I stil ride with the 15/48 but will change also tot the 14/48 for test( for the crosstrack ande enduro conditions in holland. For "rally", long day ride i like the 15/48.

BMW says: For Enduro style riding the ratio should be 13:48 (please shorten the standard chain (108) by one link
to 106).
For Moto Cross style riding use a ratio of 14:50 (use standard chain with 108 links).

Has anyone fitted a smaller front sprocket? if so was it easy and has it made a big difference?

Yes, 25 minutes for the first attemp, by the book.
Though I left the wheel on and supported the wheel/swingarm from over the top of the rear mudguard with a luggage strap...

PA090004.jpg

PA090001.jpg

PA090002.jpg

PA090003.jpg

PA090005.jpg

I fitted the 14 toothed sprocket, and it was a lot easier on the trails, though on really knarly rocky trails, it is still a little to highly geared, so my fit the 13 soon and give it a try.

Timpo.

Back
Top Bottom