Re-spray

motobiker

Reaction score
I have managed to acquire a brand new 1150 tank - which will need a respray in a single (non standard) colour.

Can anyone suggest a paint shop in the area that can do this and for less than the extortionate quote I got from 'Dream Machine' - which is still giving me palpitations.

The beak will need doing too.

Many thanks.

Theres a guy over here in leicester offering painting and stuff thats supposed to be pretty good at reasonable prices. He advertises on ebay. Trying to find it now but cant remember what he had it listed under.

He charges something like £100 for a single colour tank... I would presume maybe a little more for the gs tank as its alot bigger than most.

I have managed to acquire a brand new 1150 tank - which will need a respray in a single (non standard) colour.

Can anyone suggest a paint shop in the area that can do this and for less than the extortionate quote I got from 'Dream Machine' - which is still giving me palpitations.

The beak will need doing too.

Many thanks.

Dream Paint ..... Nightmare prices

Any car repair/bodyshop with an oven will do that job for you i would have thought.

for a decent job try Car Cosmetics Derby, they do small jobs like yours and the owner frequents this forum regularly, and has in fact just 'colour changed' his 800GS

http://www.car-cosmetics-derby.co.uk

Try kevin at K&K in colwick. Tell him carl told you as I've had a bit of work done there. Got an adv tank and beak sprayed for £90. And that included repairing a dent in the tank! He is a biker himself and a great bloke.

Sorry not got his number to hand as I'm away from home.

Just out of interest what sort of money did they want for a tank?

Andres

Are you sitting down?

They quoted me just short of £500 for the tank and beak... a single colour. And that was providing the tank stripped of all its gubbins.

I was in shock... but I think the price was £380 for the tank and £100 for the beak. And that before discussing what kind of paint - oh and just to add insult to injury - an up to 4 week turn-around.

Thanks Carl - Colwick would be perfect as I live just up the hill from there in Mapperley - but I will also look at the other suggestions too.

If the Chap in Derby sees this then feel free to get in touch... Leicester is a bit far - but not 'too' far.

I appreciate the info chaps :thumb2

Ive heard some horror stories about "dream" work before ...*thats heard before anyone starts this slander business off again*

Things like paint runs, unequal stripes and easily chipping etc... not something you would expect when paying over the odds!

My original idea - though i don't know if it's either possible or long-term desirable was to have the tank done in two colours and two finishes.

The area where my knees rest done in a 'satin' finish and the rest in gloss.

This so I wont need to fit 'rubbers' as my thought was a 'satin' finish would be less likely to show the inevitable marks from my knees.

But I didn't get that far in the quote process... for obvious reasons.

Think now I will just have a single colour anyway.

once again thanks all.

Tony

Ive always found matt paint to be easier to damage. Smoother paint allows things to slide over it more easily, preventing damage. Plus have you ever tried to really properly clean textured paint? Pain in the ass. Just ask any gsr600 rider whos matt finish now looks a bit ****

surely if you want to grip it, your trousers would just rub it away :nenau

Why not use some "stomp grip" instead? Or even a bagster tank cover. Ive always found them brilliant for locking yourself in

Ive always found matt paint to be easier to damage. Smoother paint allows things to slide over it more easily, preventing damage. Plus have you ever tried to really properly clean textured paint? Pain in the ass. Just ask any gsr600 rider whos matt finish now looks a bit ****

surely if you want to grip it, your trousers would just rub it away :nenau

Why not use some "stomp grip" instead? Or even a bagster tank cover. Ive always found them brilliant for locking yourself in

No.. not Matte - I was thinking of a satin finish - but it doesn't matter. back to plan A. (2 finish 2 colour was only an idea i was mulling over)

Oh.. and BTW the respray is being done so I can finally be rid of this damaged tank and the Bagster Cover.. which I hate - its done the job over the past few years hiding the damage - which was fine.

But there is no way I would have this new tank resprayed and then cover it with a Bagster. NO WAY ON EARTH.

Took the new tank down to K&K in Colwick today for a chat and a quote.

Kevin the owner noticed a very slight 'bow' on the RHS - which I hadn't spotted.

So... to fix that. and the tiny dent I already knew about. strip, prime and respray the tank and the same for the beask. In a single colour (not a bmw standard btw)

£120.

Left the tank with him to repair and prep then I'm to call him on the 5th and take the beak down. And job will be done within a couple of days.

Marvellous. :thumb2

Ive heard some horror stories about "dream" work before ...*thats heard before anyone starts this slander business off again*

Things like paint runs, unequal stripes and easily chipping etc... not something you would expect when paying over the odds!

They did an insurance repair on a Yamaha ThunderAce tank ... long time ago, paint was fine but the YAMAHA logo wasn't applied correctly ... letters weren't properly aligned ... and I know what I'm talking about, cos I'm a typographer :blagblah

Doh... oh well.. i wouldnt ever get them to work on mine anyways

oh that bloke in leicester has re advertised if anyone is ever interested.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/FAIRING-FAIRINGS-PLASTICS-DAMAGED-SALVAGE-RACE-DAMAGE_W0QQitemZ300282907785QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Motorcycle_Parts?hash=item300282907785&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66:2|65:10|39:1|240:1318

My original idea - though i don't know if it's either possible or long-term desirable was to have the tank done in two colours and two finishes.

The area where my knees rest done in a 'satin' finish and the rest in gloss.

This so I wont need to fit 'rubbers' as my thought was a 'satin' finish would be less likely to show the inevitable marks from my knees.

But I didn't get that far in the quote process... for obvious reasons.

Think now I will just have a single colour anyway.

once again thanks all.

Tony
i looking to change the colour of my R100 GS-PD, would you be so kind and let me know how you get on with place that re-paints your tank. cheers joe

Just as a follow-up.

here it is. awaiting a pair of tank rubbers to complete. I'm not going to put decals on though. (just to be different)

As with any 'off white' the camera hasn't picked up the actual tint - an almost milky pale cream. Cloudy weather I guess. Anyway it's VERY different to the usual 'Alpin White' of the plastic tanked 1100.

tank.jpg

tank001.jpg

Thanks due to Carl for the recommendation (not to mention saving me both time and £360)

And of course to Kevin at K&K for doing the work.

Looks good . Rover 75 white ( olde english white ?) or the same white they put on some of the Minis ?

Absolutely spot on chap inasmuch as it's a Rover colour. the actual shade is called 'Davos white' and was used from 1969 - 1972

I am impressed. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom