Map holder

franco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A mate was saying he went to the Ally Pally bike show, and there was a round the world GS there which had a map holder on it. He thinks it was Touratech. It fixes to the handlebars and the map essentially sits on the tank, though not sure of fixings etc. Sounds pretty useful, and cheaper than a GPS. Anybody know if this really is a Touratech offering? I've scanned their website, but couldn't find it. Got a catalogue through the post, but my sons were reading it and the little feckers have 'tidied' it...I'm gonna kill them....
:mad: :mad:

Cheers.///Rob

franco said:
A mate was saying he went to the Ally Pally bike show, and there was a round the world GS there which had a map holder on it. He thinks it was Touratech. It fixes to the handlebars and the map essentially sits on the tank, though not sure of fixings etc. Sounds pretty useful, and cheaper than a GPS. Anybody know if this really is a Touratech offering? I've scanned their website, but couldn't find it. Got a catalogue through the post, but my sons were reading it and the little feckers have 'tidied' it...I'm gonna kill them....

Cheers.///Rob

Franco,

Ask Judge for the web site of the Overlander Company in Kent which prep bikes for adventure journeys, they do all sorts of things such as that, it may be one of theirs.

Mick

:beerjug:

Re: Re: Map holder

Mick_rw said:
Franco,

Ask Judge for the web site of the Overlander Company in Kent which prep bikes for adventure journeys, they do all sorts of things such as that, it may be one of theirs.

Mick

Cheers Mick...let's see if this works...

Judge, that wouldn't be Bracken, on the Old Kent Road would it? If so, I could have one of my London colleagues pick it up and ship it free...:))

Rob,

Me thinks you may have seen this combination. Tank harness with map case attached with velcro. They are Touratech items available for fistful of your finest euros at a shop in Orange.

Attachments

• touratech.jpg
    touratech.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 446
Cheers Andy

You're obviously way more familiar with the Touratech site navigation than me...give it time though....

Cheers. If I get this, and use it successfully to find my way to the Picos, remind me to buy you a San Miguel.

Cheers../Rob

map holder ? try this one

You could look at this one - Hein Gericke magnetic map pocket. Large size, absolutely reliable magnets, you can also order a sticky plastic sheet to protect you tank's paintwork. So extremely useful that like you I wonder if I can justify a GPS.

Attachments

• img_1366cut.jpg
    img_1366cut.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 443
Not too shabby.

Another option. How much was that in your Earth pounds? Cheers gasman..../Rob

Rob,
£13.99 [plus £4.99 for the protective film] from the catalogue.
Order numbers 21002026 and 25000049 respectively. Order Phone No is 0800 165165.
Can't really go wrong at that price ! I do note that the GS1200 has a plastic tank though. so if you're getting one of them...
Peter

vive la France !!

Not too shabby.

That sounds a great deal given how little I'd likely use it (I like getting lost round here)...I'll go into Nice this week and see if it's in the Hein Gericke shop there. It's not as big as the one I used to go to in Welling, so they don't carry all the stock.

Thanks for the info..../Rob

franco said:

Cheers.///Rob

I got one based on Helge's Pederson's recommendation in his new GS maintenance DVD. I like it. Displays enough of the map for your ride, and holds it at a position above the fuel tank opening and swings out of the way for re-fueling. Difficulty with re-fueling is why I did not like the BMW tank bag.

It's called an BP-1 (Bar Pack) in Europe, over here they call it a BP-4. I'm not sure if they're different or not, but would like to know.

NJ_Bob said:
I got one based on Helge's Pederson's recommendation in his new GS maintenance DVD. I like it. Displays enough of the map for your ride, and holds it at a position above the fuel tank opening and swings out of the way for re-fueling. Difficulty with re-fueling is why I did not like the BMW tank bag.

It's called an BP-1 (Bar Pack) in Europe, over here they call it a BP-4. I'm not sure if they're different or not, but would like to know.

Here's my BP-4:

Attachments

• bp4.jpg
    bp4.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 241
Re: Re: Re: Map holder

NJ_Bob said:
Here's my BP-4:

Surely this flaps around like a St Georges cross on a Vauxhall Vectra. :p

Attachments

• screenshot034.jpg
    screenshot034.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 233
Re: Re: Re: Re: Map holder

whatton63 said:
Surely this flaps around like a St Georges cross on a Vauxhall Vectra. :p

That's what I thought it might do too! But, remarkably it does not. There's almost no air flow right there behind all the cockpit gear, and it stays put. As you know, most of the airflow comes up around the sides of the tank.

NJ_Bob said:

Look here for more info.

Hein Gericke map holders...

Cheers for the info Peter, had one of the Hein Gericke mapholders sent from the UK (cheers G). Stayed on the bike all the way from Nice to Potes and back (over 3000kms) and stuck fast the whole way. Only slight complaint is that it's a bit small to stick a whole Michelin map page into, so you end up practising Origami to get the thing in. Having said that, I found my way there and home without any trouble. The Itineraries you can print out from www.viamichelin.fr fit straight on...perfectly.

Thanks for putting me in their direction.../Rob

gasman said:
Rob,
£13.99 [plus £4.99 for the protective film] from the catalogue.
Order numbers 21002026 and 25000049 respectively. Order Phone No is 0800 165165.
Can't really go wrong at that price ! I do note that the GS1200 has a plastic tank though. so if you're getting one of them...
Peter

vive la France !!

Back
Top Bottom