French Pyrenees

Lord Snooty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Me and a couple of mates are heading for the French Pyrenees for the first week in September.

Anybody got any advice on the best route from Cherbourg that will take in a combination of some interesting roads and some autoroute when we need to blast it and any advice on towns, hotels etc to stay in.

Merci mes ami!

We went from St Malo to Montolieu ( Nr Carcassone) on the N137 this runs parallel to a motorway should the need arise, stop off at St. Emillion a reasonable days run we stayed at the Hotel Jardin I think it was right in the town reasonable price and has a lockup garage for the bikes, then go on to Limoux where they make a very nice red and sparkling white wine, stay somewhere round here there is a plethora of excellent biking roads one of which is the D 613 from Quillan to Ax-en-Therme about 35 miles a superb road lots of twisty sweeping bends on the way to Andorra, go all the way to Andorra la Valle wher you can do your shopping, leave plenty of room for Jack Daniels #7 at 21 euros for 1.75 ltr and Golden Virginia rolling tobacco at 2 euros per 50 gm ( £1.30) its £9.50 here, even if you don't use it there are plenty who do.
On the way back stop at the El Paso restaurant in Encamp for lunch, its on your right as you go up the hill from Andorra la Valle, an excellent spot and biker friendly.

I'm told the roads around Biarritz are also excellent if you fancy that area.
Bon Route'

Hi Mike,

We did a nice route due south from Cherbourg last year. Only went about half way to the Pyranees but would recommend the route.

Only problem is I'm at the bottom end of a bottle of rouge and am off to Baskerville Hall tomorrow so it will be next week before I can dig out my records!

Otherwise, pick up the Michelin road atlas, draw a line south from Cherbourg and choose the closest back roads to the line.

have a good trip,

Iain

Report from my trip.....

11.05.02 - 21.05.02

Day 1 : Derby to La Rochelle - 3am start for 7am ferry Portsmouth to Cherbourg - 550 miles - 5:30pm end. Nice town for a stop-off.
Day 2 : to Cahors to sidestep rain moving up on Bordeaux - hit a bird (splat!). Stayed in a hotel on river. Nice but quiet & yes it all shut at 10pm.
Day 3 : to Luchon. Brill sunshine. Excellent ride. Beautiful mountains. Nice town - but again all shut by 10pm, except 1 bar (guess where we were). Cable-cars didn't start 'till following weekend for the season.
Day 4 : up-&-over to Ainsa on D173 (all passes open) brill sunshine. What a road! Then headed for the coast - Salou - not my cup of tea but Mo wanted her day on the beach, so I conceded. Went from throwing snowballs at her at 11am, to on the sand by 4pm.
Day 5 : full day on the beach - 0 miles. Hot & lots of wobbly bits.
Day 6 : to Barcelona. Arrived midday - 30 degrees. A few bars - some tapas - & off to Gaudi's Cathedral. Hotel just off La Rambla. Parking was dodgy - but since mine was the only bike secured to anything (most just had disk locks) & looked like a bag of sh*t (bugs & feathers) I think it was safe enough. Had a snooze & got up about 9pm to meet friend. Dinner at 11:30pm. Bed by 4am.
Day 7 : my head hurts. Intention - Andorra or Foix. Actual - Ax les thermes. Tried for ages to leave Barcelona in suicidal traffic with no road signs for anything other than local tourist sites. Eventually went out in wrong direction but didn't care. Head sorted - right road to Rippoll. Then the high road towards Andorra (N152). Rough isn't the word. It was ripped apart by this winter's ice. The only other things moving were 4x4's & a couple of GS's. Amid all the twists, turns, ups, downs I get a tap on the shoulder & pull over to let Mo be sick (still suffering) & the bike rolls off the sidestand. Argh! Another sick stop & we decide not to go into Andorra but head for the nearest civilisation - Ax. Book into 1st hotel & Mo gets her head down while I have a beer & muse over the incredible roads I've just ridden (N20). Thermal springs - bloody hot swimming pool in the town square - just right for tired bikers pinkies.
Day 8 : the 1st rain. Head out on the twistiest route I can find 'cos it's my last chance to enjoy these mountains. Over to Carcassonne & onto the Peage (rain stopped) to Toulouse, Cahors, Sarlat. It's a bank holiday & we try 5 hotels before finding a room. Nice old town full of Restaurants & Bars. Recommended.
Day 9 : to Saumour. Busy with Brit bikers from the GP up the road. OK for a stop-off.
Day 10 : to Cancale. Busy with French tourists. Choose our most expensive hotel yet, overlooking the harbour, €60. Seafood extravaganza. Expensive town. Bike gets covered in sand overnight (looks even worse now).
Day 11 : to Cherbourg for 11:30 crossing. Jag driver tries to kill us on A38. Home for 4:30. 5pm Pub.................................
Day 12 : my head hurts again. Back to normal - ah well....

Total mileage 2450.

France - open from 12-2pm & 6-9pm
Spain - open from 2-4pm & 9-4am
Strange.......
(Everywhere in France was very quiet except for the Bank Holiday.)

TRANSPYRENEEN, nr. Bourg Madame on Fr/Sp border east of Andorra. Just a cool hotel.

Most Logis-de-France (www.logis-de-france.fr) establishments are excellent hotels. Except the one in St. Lary, but the road up from Spain is well worth the effort (the TdF cyclists did it last year poor devils). The road from St Lary over the Col de Peyresourde to Bagneres-de-Luchon is a cracker, especially for those of off-road taste, then into Spain under the Pico d'Annetto. then take any little road (C13/C26??) to the left and follow towards Andorra.

Back into France down the Col De Quillane (and spot the hobbit homes in the banking - round green doors, really!). The town of Quillan has an old hotel in the square where the landlady (in negligee) seemed suprised we wanted a room for the whole night!

Following the N915/N918/N618 along the length gives a good contrast, St Pee sur Nivelle for the name and the pipperade (scrambled eggs, tomato and bayonne jambon cru) through to the Col de Jeu(? - it was a long time ago) which had little in the way of surface when I did it.

Oh yes and if you pass La Rochelle and head to Oleron there are a couple of good hotels. Next day down to ther Gironde and get the ferry across. Its flat and fast and very hot from there to the pointy bits but the surf is worth a stop and splash about.

Enjoy and if you see a big red Guzzi trailie, wave and sympathise!

Thanks...

...everyone for your advice and help. I have printed everything off and now I just hope I can take in all of the roads that you have recommended.

Will post some pics when I return

Au revoir mes amies

Mike

Was that you on the green GS at the bottom of the pass up to Prades?

Back
Top Bottom