Overland Adventure day

XT500 a classic or so I'm told (old piece of crap which is someone's pride and joy):blast there's some dutch bloke who loves'em my mate had one sold it for £500 I fancied the idea but it would have been another pile of pieces in the shed I get moaned at for and I already have a so called classic which I must put back together one day....:augie

Had a DT175mx when i was 18. Left it sitting in the shed for years and sold it for £50 just to get it out the way. I've now seen them selling for up to £2800 restored :blast.

shame I didn't take a picture but I was very taken with the 8.5bhp diesel Enfield with Ali boxes, apparently he dont get anywhere in a real hurry but he does get their and it dont cost him much to run !!!

They still make it for the African market

You don't want one, great in 1980............but 60-70mph top speed - in the 80's we were all riding them

Just thought it would be a fun bike for pottering around in the city. Look cool and not go very fast :D

I saw a Ducati that looked very similar to these at WDW a couple of years ago.

Probably this, A XT660z Tenere

Too big .. might as well ride my GS.

It looks great though

There was a pre-loved version there

469783482_ZDiPC-L.jpg

Yamaha XT500 and quite a nice one too. :thumb2

IMG_0288.jpg

Sorry guys, it's not a XT500 but a DT125 or 175 MX. Still a classic though :thumb2. .

Sorry guys, it's actually a DT400 MX - (MX were the monoshock versions), you can tell it's the 400 by the radial finned cylinder head, the 125, 175 and 250 versions all had straight finned cylinder heads.

The XT500 was a 4-stroke, all the DT's were 2 strokes.

Sorry guys, it's actually a DT400 MX - (MX were the monoshock versions), you can tell it's the 400 by the radial finned cylinder head, the 125, 175 and 250 versions all had straight finned cylinder heads.

The XT500 was a 4-stroke, all the DT's were 2 strokes.

Had the 400's not the exhaust on the other side?

Had the 400's not the exhaust on the other side?

It's definitely a 1978 DT175MX

1978 version (T reg) with the first type of sidepanels (larger), plus the early ones had the black tubular swingarm and later ones had a silver square one

However the tank is wrong for that year (it's from a 1980 version)

Very anal..................but I had plenty and only sold my last in 2006

No way is it a 400 or 250, just look at the engines cases

And whoever said it was a XT500, doesn't know his strokers from his thumpers:blast:aidan

Shame on you:aidan

DT400MX had righthand silencer, that is a either a 125 or 175 DTMX, and an early one, as they went to a square section silver coloured swingarm after a couple of years of release.
Difference between 125 and 175 was bore diameter and the 175 had electronic ignition.
I had a number of these bikes in my youth....... took some catching by the coppers.
Take a look below at some pics of the models....... not mine though.

http://www2.yamaha-motor.fr/actu/IMG/jpg/ym50_doc-13-dt400mx.jpg

http://www.j-and-s.net/Images/old-bikes03.jpg

http://www2.yamaha-motor.fr/actu/IMG/jpg/ym50_doc-14-dt125mx-noir.jpg

Was there about 11:20 for an hour and a bit.
Had to dismantle both my front brakes on the A2 on the way to the Ace as they had seized and the discs were glowing. Discs now a nice shade of black rather than shiny.
Don't know anybody from this forum but I was the one walking around in the orange hi-viz over my jacket if that narrows me down a bit. To help even further I was the one on the blue and white 1150!!

Back
Top Bottom