How many wear a neck brace?

and do you wear a back/spine protector in your jacket?

Yes - that doesn't interfere with my enjoyment either.

I don't give a flying f*ck what I look like when I ride, as long as I am comfortable, can be seen and have done what I can to reduce the risk of gaining special parking rights for the rest of my life.

I've tended to many bikers with spinal injury - it is ironic that one very poor prognostic sign is an erection post injury - not that you could ever use it thereafter!!

I've looked carefully at the medical evidence as the Leatt Brace was being developed, and genuinely believe it is "a good thing" .

any new bit of kit get's the same response,not that i'm old enough but it was the same when compulsory helmets came in or in the offroad when leather was replaced by textile clothing,full verse's open face helmet

MX boot's on the road is another one for some,25yrs ago n old lady in a motor opened the door as we filtered up to the light's and caught me across the foot and my G/F on the knee,if the peg on the 1100 kwaker did not shear off the door would have cut my foot in half

worn the biggest strongest mx boots ever since

prevention rather than cure:thumb

loz

I must have the adventure one - I bought it from Bath road BMW, Bristol a couple of years ago.

It really does not interfere with your riding even at 45'c, and as a surgeon I genuinely think it is an advance. Once air-born off your bike in a crash you have lost control and are relying on physics - it takes 5lb of force to break your neck. So you gotta ask yourself "do you feel lucky - well punk!" ;-)

If you look at racing car drivers these days they all have neck braces to prevent forward flexion - that was developed in the states. One crusty old driver poo pooed the notion and soon after crashed into the wall and pithed himself (as in died severing his hindbrain) - thereafter all the drivers wore one.

I must have the adventure one - I bought it from Bath road BMW, Bristol a couple of years ago.

It really does not interfere with your riding even at 45'c, and as a surgeon I genuinely think it is an advance. Once air-born off your bike in a crash you have lost control and are relying on physics - it takes 5lb of force to break your neck. So you gotta ask yourself "do you feel lucky - well punk!" ;-)

If you look at racing car drivers these days they all have neck braces to prevent forward flexion - that was developed in the states. One crusty old driver poo pooed the notion and soon after crashed into the wall and pithed himself (as in died severing his hindbrain) - thereafter all the drivers wore one.

ok thanks for you info :thumb2

all very well and good in races but on the road could never happen.

HOW THE FECK WOULD YOU DO YOUR LIFESAVERS

cheinhospital.jpeg

Getting the helmet on is a bit tricky as well.

Anyone who would reject safety gear simply because they feared it made them "look like a twat" probably is a twat who hopes to remain undiscovered. I for one would rather "look like a twat" than spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair... or worse. My guess is that we will see neck braces gain acceptance and wide use on the road in the years ahead. When I started riding back in the day, nobody wore a helmet on the road. :rob

Anyone who would reject safety gear simply because they feared it made them "look like a twat" probably is a twat who hopes to remain undiscovered. I for one would rather "look like a twat" than spend the rest of my life in a wheel chair... or worse. My guess is that we will see neck braces gain acceptance and wide use on the road in the years ahead. When I started riding back in the day, nobody wore a helmet on the road. :rob

If I had such concerns over my personal safety while enjoying myself, I wouldn't ride a bike. Or go out. Or breath without a filter mask. Or eat anything which might have been produced using pesticides. And I'd always use a condom, in case of infection. The list is endless.

If you need to use a neckbrace, or anything else for that matter which you believe makes you feel better about yourself, then that's good. For you.

Me? I'll just ride my bike and enjoy myself. :augie

I'd been thinking about a neck brace for a while and this thread convinced me. My Leate Adventure arrived last week but I'm having trouble using it. The problem is it sits so high on my jacket (Aerostich Darien) that turning my head for life-savers isn't easy and getting a clear look on oblique junctions (ie where the road you're joining is more than 90 degrees to your original direction of travel) is very difficult. This latter problem forced me to stop a couple of times where I'd normally just slow, risking being rear-ended. The resistance to turning the helmet also results in my specs getting shifted around.

I'm far from huge and have tried both the medium and large pins with no improvement - any (constructive) suggestions?

I use the neck brace and have an aerostich Darien. The helmet sits snugly on the brace (which can be comfortable on a long motorway journey)but I have not found that it restricts my neck movement. Try adjusting the angle of the rear brace so it sits lower down your back.

I had a near nasty accident trail riding a couple of years ago, a fallen tree trunk just at head hight I managed to duck at the last minute, my brandnew helmet took the brunt on the top, splitting the case.

I hade painfull whiplash for about 2 months, a couple of inches lower and it could have been a potential broken neck.

Its taken me 2 years but i have finally bought one, (prompted by the death of a friends son last month following an accident on his motorbike) which i shall be using off road.

Maybe will use it on road as well.

Back
Top Bottom