Any advice for someon going to Romania

My advice is to be alert all of the time..if drivers want to come in they will give you one, or two flashes on the winker (if there feeling generous), then just pull infront of you:eek:

this is bloody scarey at 1st , but you soon get the feel of the traffic, the GS is pretty big , so they seem not to bother ye too much , the lorries and taxis rule the road..

if ye do get lost and head up into the carpatian mountains and get lost , like we did:blast

pic of the mountains we rode through it was raining very heavy , as you can see from the photo

P1010012 carpatian mountains.jpg

like a said if ye get lost up the mountains GPS 10% coverage , isnt ver good, buy a local map at least.
the trick is to stick behind the large lorries, they are very good drivers and usualy know where there going.

stopping behind lorries serves two purposes, one there too big to cut up and push off the road, second they dont drive too fast and if ye keep a reasonable distance behind, the psycho drivers wont try to cut in too much..

we went up the badlands , at night , not safe to stop , dodgy guys with big guns and dubious wimin (hookers) starin at yer , we passed Mad maxes "Barter town " somewhere up those bloody mountain passes, not safe to stop..(we would of got shot or buggerd or sumat so we rode on):eek:

there was ditches at the side of the road very deep concrete and if ye went down , ye was down for good. we saw a few cars shoved in these ditches..

traffic jams half hour stops waiting for the bloody lights to change..loads of road works. one time we were over three quaters on an hour , the lorry drivers got pissed off and drove through the red temporary red lights, we followed of course:D

most roads were very bad , especially out in the backwoods , some in town were even that bad i though i had a flat or my wheel was wobbling off or sumat...

we were stopped yet again on an iron and wood bridge , every wagon passes the bridge shook violently , bloody scary:eek:

One very good point is the petrol stations , theres loads of them

pic
IMAG0027.jpg

we had just come down from the mountains in one piece and needed a brake:comfort notice the bright colours painted on the buildings.

look out for the white powder on all tree and building bottoms, ye will find out what thats for when ye get there:D

the toilet conveniences are very modern , up to the latest European spec standards:augie ha, ha, a local lass pointed this out:D

IMAG0026.jpg WTF:eek:

We headed towards constanta, on the way we saw a sign for SEBES here is another petrol stop (and a ,not very good pic of the road sign), an attendant took offence to me taking the foto for some reason:nenau

pic
IMAG0032.jpg

the petrol station attendants are usualy very helpful and they will even clean ye bike screen for ye, this was a God's send because it rained hard after setting of to constnta and visibility was very bad

pic
IMAG0033.jpg digger06 in his "take the bloody pic ye nob" , pose..:D

Because we decided that it wasnt safe to stop in the mountains with no where to stop and camp at the side of the bad roads , bears in the woods etc

we rode on all night 22hours with only a few stops ,to the next morning arriving in Bulgaria we only covered 800k :eek:

most of that was getting lost , my map had died and digger06 satnav was very basic..

the tourist board says NOT to travel at night, so it up to you, the sitiation makes up your decisions at the time.

In towns the zebra crossings seemed to be there just for show, most are nearly worn away with heavy road use..

when we got to our 1st big city, Timisora i think, we stopped at a zebra crossing to let an old lady cross, the other drivers just sped up and drove across the crossing , the old lady dodging the traffic , and a taxi nearly ran into the back of me because i stopped for the old lady..

so we just went with the flow and drove like every one else , do as they do...ye will find out:rolleyes:

some will read this and say this is not a good refection of the country , but
this is not slagging off the country , its just a lil snippet of our journey, which was very hard with the monsoon rain conditions .

One city Constanta was flooded that deep the water came up over the high curbs , it was like driving in a large paddling pool:eek:

It wasnt all that bad tho, as it dried out you could see the countryside was very diverse , from flat lands , to folk sellin fruit on the side of the road's.
To the mountains wi heavy greenery and deep valleys and gorges bellow.
you looked down on lakes you can see from the road above..and got an idea of how the country grew on you ,the more you drove though the changing scenery.:thumb2

do ye research, check out the terrain, and keep ye whits about ye and ye will enjoy a very diverse and striking country...

ugg's n digger06
Bulgaria road trip 2008

For me it is safety place, I traveled one bike with my wife. We had never problems with people , no problem in the night, also we meet one guy from England Peter in Shigishoara , he also traveled himself with old BMW (LT or RT) . He was writing a book "wrong way round" and he was also a bit afraid. When you doesn't look for troubles , people are friendly . When we went there first time our friends also told to us , they will kill but we are still alive. I am afraid that in 10 years all toalets will be clean and nice but without ambiance if you understand what I mean.

Regards

In April last year we were going to Dracula's Castle near Brasov and entered Romania from southern Hungary. The road was absolutely desperate. Unbelievably bad surfaces, jam packed with lorries, horses and carts - really just a constant convoy, and the standard of driving was diabolical.

Someone said the lorry drivers were good and knew what they were doing....:confused: Not where we were!:nenau There were smashed up lorries and cars pushed to the side of the road all over the place, and I mean really smashed up! :eek:

The overiding memory of that part of the journey was vehicles continually overtaking towards you with nowhere to go but into the space you were in! It was too difficult to do much sightseeing here due to having to keep constantly alert to what other drivers were about to do to you!

We left Romania from the north, where the roads were much better - but a lot of local police with radar guns in the towns and villages.

For overnight accommodation, there are lots of truck stops all along the main roads which look quite smart with their yellow paintwork and are quite cheap. But the toilets and washing facilities are consistently filthy and not to western standards. We didn't even wash in them....

Overall it was a great place to visit, everyone was really friendly and trying to sell you cheese or garden gnomes - and don't miss the Blue Train Blues Bar in Brasov, really cheap drink and terrific atmosphere. We had a great time!:D

This gives some indication of the volume of traffic in the south of Romania - here the road is good, and there's some space between the lorries. Usually they were running about 10 feet apart....

Attachments

• Arad [50%].jpg
    Arad [50%].jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 238
Arad, yup been there twice:blast same day:augie

as for wagons , it must be the knight riders on the mountains that are good.

as for towns FEK ME:eek:

we sort of did arad , timasora, headed south , to lugog , then well your guess is as good as mine , sibu , sebes ,Carpathan mouintais , bucaresti , constanta, in a round about way , sort off ,well duno realy :blast

we got to mangalia by the skin of our teeth, the motorway to constanta is very smooth.

ps dont piss the cars off wi blacked out windows...:augie

ugg

Hahaha We chose not to even pause in the gypsy villages - the folk there just looked very scary...

We stopped in a wee town, dunno its name where there was a festival going on. But look at the cops with the electric batons, ready for anything!

Then the billboard ad for a security firm in Brasov. Their presence would certainly stop you getting drunk in a disco! :eek

Attachments

• cops [50%].jpg
    cops [50%].jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 232
  • security [50%].jpg
    security [50%].jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 230
i enjoyed my trip there but gotta say, bulgaria is a lot easier and better, so much so, i got a house there now (if anyone needs a stop over:thumb)

i got a house there now (if anyone needs a stop over)

is that a banjo i can hear in the background, :augie

"pliky, plink , plink . plinggg, dum ,dum ,de,de, dum de dum"

"you got a purrrdy mouth ther city boy"
:ymca:help:hack:smokeboun:fiddle

Hi,

I did four days trip in Romania last summer. I highly recommend this country for road and offroad riding. My trip is on the picture.

Note: Sorry, I tried to attache picture to this message without succees. Can webmaster help me?

Hi
Sorry not been on line for a while - but Romania is a wonderful place , the main road quality is getting better n better all the time. Avoid the DN1 that everyone moans about ... it is a busy transnational route!!

If anyone is after advice and help - give me a shout ! I am based in the Saxon villages - have a look at www.discovertarnavamare.org my email is gavin((AT))fundatia-adept.org

You wont regret a visit....

Gavin

I went there 3 years ago and again last year :thumb2
I thought it was more interesting 3 years ago before it joined the EU

Don't drink the water :eek:

P7030335Large.jpg

Keep a eye out for small holes in the road

P7050462Large.jpg

And big ones

P7030340Large.jpg

And if you see someone selling honey

P7050464Large.jpg

Approach with care and keep you helmet on

P7050468Large.jpg

I didn't :blast

P7050470Large.jpg

Hi
Sorry not been on line for a while - but Romania is a wonderful place , the main road quality is getting better n better all the time. Avoid the DN1 that everyone moans about ... it is a busy transnational route!!

If anyone is after advice and help - give me a shout ! I am based in the Saxon villages - have a look at www.discovertarnavamare.org my email is gavin((AT))fundatia-adept.org

You wont regret a visit....

Gavin

head south to the badlands:blast erm bloody rain:(

how do gavin :thumb

ugg

Did I go somewhere else then?! Was in Romania last April and the roads were mostly ok. Bulgarian roads were much worse. We entered Romania from bulgaria at Ruse, then rode north to Bucharest. The road was quite narrow, potholed and full of lorries till we reached Bucharest, then straight across the city (horrendous traffic) - stop for dinner at the amazing Bikers bar & Grill next door to the airport, then up the E60 thro Ploiesti to Sinaia. Roads were ok, just beware of the enormous amount of stray dogs - they do chase. We stuck pretty much to the E60.

I can highly recommend staying a few days in Sinaia - it's fantastic (and you can get teabags-albeit Liptons!!) Loads of accomodation (ski resort). We stayed at the Casa Noastra - very basic but you get a double room, balcony, tv and en suite shower room/toilet/sink for less than £15 a night (if I remember rightly). Visit Peles castle (girlies may prefer Pelisor - loads of art nouveau) - both are gobsmackingly beautiful, altho the camera pass is expensive you won't regret buying it.

We continued along the E60 to Brasov (nice shopping centre but the day trip to Bran is a must), then to Sighisoara which for me was my favourite place in 6 months of travelling. Dinner in Dracula's old house (at least drink some red wine there), then after 9 days (loved it that much)we wrenched ourselves away thru Targu Mures, Turda , Cluj Napoca and west , still on the E60 to Hungary via Oradea. Just outside Cluj there is a fantastic bike shop on the left www.motoland.ro - the owner's son is twice Romanian national motocross champion.

Anyway I'm jealous aqs hell, I LOVED Romania and can't wait to go back.:)

Hi Kirst,

Glad you liked it! All the bad road stories come from DN1 arad - Brasov... coming in via Oradea is much nicer!

Look forward to seeing you here next time! Only 20km from Sighisoara .....

Gavin

http://www.discovertarnavamare.org

Bugger! Wish we'd realised at the time, but if I remember rightly we moved on before realising how close you were. :blast IT WAS AMAAAAAAAAAZING!

Next time :beerjug::beer:

Riders Rest - absolutely brilliant photos !! I am envious already.

Did you use a Gramin for the route sat Nav and if so would you be willing to share the route?

Failing that if you have the names of the main routes / hotels that would be great.

Truly excellent.

Riders Rest - absolutely brilliant photos !! I am envious already.

Did you use a Gramin for the route sat Nav and if so would you be willing to share the route?

Failing that if you have the names of the main routes / hotels that would be great.

Truly excellent.

Try here I have saved it in a zip file but it is a GPX GPS exchange format you open the gpx file in Mapsource and then douple click on each route in turn and recalculating them to get them to follow the roads according to your mapping software version... Hope it is of use.

The only accommodation we booked was the 1st and Last night with 2 wheels moorings (Incidently they were the people who inspired us so much that we gave up life as we knew it and set up our own B&B in the Central Massif) everywhere else we found accommodation on speck also our route was for guidance and we used local maps to get us off the major routes.

I rode there and back from the UK in 2007 - no problems.

Highlights included the Transfagaran Pass (?sp) and the ghost town of Copsa Mica.

Back
Top Bottom