***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Conti attack

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Interesting response about Trail Attacks. In the pictures of the old and new, are they really Trail Attacks? I thought trail version would be more knobbly than a tourance type road tyre.

I have always used Tourance (standard ones, not the EXP or 2) on the 1150 Adv and the standard 1150GS and received good mileage out of them and reasonable mpg - does mpg suffer with the Contis or are they near enough the same?

I have been looking for sometime for a good tyre that actually grips off road, the Tourance is absolute rubbish on anything approaching off road - wet grass, mud over grass etc. On forest trails and that type of thing fine, but agricultural growing mediums they just don't work!

What would people suggest? I get 13,000 out of a pair of Tourances, and they both wear out as fast as each other, so always replaced as a pair. I did get over 14,000 out of one set, but I think I ran them a bit thin!

MPG and miles of life are important to me - I pay for them and I need to keep my running costs down as much as possible, even if it means easing off a bit to stay upright. I am broad shouldered enough to withstand the chicken strip jobes - I have ALWAYS had chicken strips, mainly because I ama chicken...I can't afford to risk dropping the bike. My religion won't allow it...devout skinflint.

Tried to edit my post, but couldn't see an "edit" button....just wanted to add, I know the TKCs are supposed to be brilliant at off road, but there is no way I can afford 6000 mile tyres, that is DOUBLE the cost of Tourances.

What would be a good tyre for mucky roads in winter, and mucky off road routes too.

Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post

What would be a good tyre for mucky roads in winter, and mucky off road routes too.
    TKC80 or Heidenhau are what I use, both shite if it's slippy
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    TKC80 or Heidenhau are what I use,

I wouldn`t use those

Dream Maker
    Heidenau K60's seem to be a good compromise
    www.unchainedtours.com

"Of all the forces that make for a better world, none is so powerful as hope.
    With hope, one can think, one can work, one can dream.
    If you have hope, you have everything."

http://www.unchainedtours.com

I ain't got no stinkin' visa! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by King Rat View Post
    Interesting response about Trail Attacks. In the pictures of the old and new, are they really Trail Attacks? I thought trail version would be more knobbly than a tourance type road tyre.
    Yes... they're definitely both Trail Attacks.
    Continental also do a "Road Attack" with an identical tread pattern. Although I've never used them, I would imagine they'd use a softer compound and a shallower tread.
    I like to take my 1200GSA off-road whenever I can when I'm abroad, BUT... I'll never knowingly take it on wet/muddy trails with Trail Attacks fitted.
    On dry, dusty, rocky trails, almost any road tyre will be suitable up to a certain point, you just have to be a little circumspect. On wet/muddy/slippy grass-type trails, it's all too easy to get into a slide and lose control simply because of the huge weight of the GSA... it's not a little trail bike, where a quick dab sorts out a slide

ballistic

Quote Originally Posted by ballistic View Post
    I like to take my 1200GSA off-road whenever I can when I'm abroad, BUT... I'll never knowingly take it on wet/muddy trails with Trail Attacks fitted.
    On dry, dusty, rocky trails, almost any road tyre will be suitable up to a certain point, you just have to be a little circumspect. On wet/muddy/slippy grass-type trails, it's all too easy to get into a slide and lose control simply because of the huge weight of the GSA... it's not a little trail bike, where a quick dab sorts out a slide
    Shock Horror!
    KEA

Tim, these poeple need to get a grip

Quote Originally Posted by BAKERMAN View Post
    Tim, these poeple need to get a grip
    need to tread lightly...
    KEA

I ain't got no stinkin' visa! Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Shock Horror!
    Perfect lane for a GS, that... downhill, not too wet and can't fall of the edge

ballistic

Thanks Bilco, the esteemed editor of 100% Biker uses Heidenaus too, not sure which model.

I think being German they might be OK in the snow then...I am getting to replacement time and am thinking ahead and remembering my slithery winter last year! Not nice, put 50 years on me.

Road Attack or trial attack

Hi

can anyone suggest which would be better for mainly road touring and daily commute. I want good grip and long life pref!

The road attack or the trial attack

Many thanks

Graham Allen

road attacks

Quote Originally Posted by laser173 View Post
    Hi

can anyone suggest which would be better for mainly road touring and daily commute. I want good grip and long life pref!

Many thanks

Graham Allen
    Ive just ordered the road attacks for my varadero which is used just for road work.

I used these guys, I ordered them on Sunday. requested delivery to the garage and they arrived today from Europe. Cheapest I could find and recommenced on another site I use..

http://www.oponeo.co.uk/

Stay Frosty Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    i liked trail attacks on my gsa.

Hi

Many thanks

Graham Allen
    Unless someone can absolutely state the roads

Hi

Many thanks

Graham Allen
    I'll try again, where'd my edit button go?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast