Autocom and earplugs???

shready

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
OK I've now fitted the Autocom crash helmet speakers and mic, everything is spot on and sounds great. Not been out on the bike yet mind.

Anyway, as per the instructions I didn't wear earplugs to set up the speaker positions etc. If I then wear my usual earplugs with the Autocom the music is way too quite and the I cannot hear my voice when I speak through the mic.

Am I right in thinking that when you have the Autocom fitted and in use you don't bother with earplugs?

The helmet in a Schuberth S1, so a pretty quiet lid to start with.

I use ear plugs as well without any problems. Tried seeing if music is any louder?

I can hear the music but not my speech through the mic.

The speakers are in the best position that I can get them without making the helmet uncomfortable on my ears. Tried moving them round but believe they are in the optimum position anyway.

Mic not disconnected from the rest of the headset?

Vox not turned down too low?

Volume (if adjustable on the Autocom) not turned down too low?

5 to 5 pin or 7 to 7 pin connectors used?

Mic not disconnected from the rest of the headset?

Vox not turned down too low?

Volume (if adjustable on the Autocom) not turned down too low?

5 to 5 pin or 7 to 7 pin connectors used?

Mic is connected and works fine.

VOX is factory set and OK.

Volume on MAX.

7 pin, brand new purchased on Thursday.

Without earplugs it's fantastic It's just that the earplugs make the speech inaudible.

Perhaps I'm going deaf.

Ahh, running from a battery as it's not fitted to the bike yet, job for tomorrow.
Plus the battery is out of the kids remote controlled car and is old:blast

Am I right in thinking that when you have the Autocom fitted and in use you don't bother with earplugs?

You could always buy some cheap disposable ear plugs & punch the middle out of them to make them a bit less dense.

I can supply the punch (cylindrical steel cutter) free of charge.

I use this method to fit 'Classic' ear plugs to my aftermarket headphones to use with my ipod & it works well cutting out any outside noise.

I set my audio levels up with the autocom with earplugs in as I always use a set when riding with the autocom on.

When I fitted the autocom speakers originally I could not wear my custom moulded plugs and had to use foam ones. Since I fitted the speakers into my next S1 I can now where either moulded plugs or foam ones. I think it is all to do with the way in which I fitted the speakers in the check pads.

That depends on how long you want to preserve your hearing for. But if the answer is for as long as possible then its a big fat no. Your S1 is a quiet helmet but not quiet enough to not need to protect those ears. And yes the problem you will have with the Schurberth (and many others is) optimum speaker placement for comfort is not optimum for performance.

Talc your ears up, put your helmet on and see where the talc mark is on your helmet lining, then look at the instructions to see where the 'bullseye' of the speaker is - that's how you line them up. If thats not comfortable you need to work harder at getting the speakers recessed further but positioning is critical or performance suffers greatly.

Its fun getting it all sorted, but ride without hearing protection and say goodbye to hearing and hello Tinnitus. :rob

I've recently bought a Schuberth and am hugely impressed with its fit and comfort, but I cannot find a comfortable way of fitting my Autocom to get the best sound from it, no matter how much I try. I've had the Autocom in Shark, HJC and Arai lids before with no problem and always use earplugs. I think 1 of the reasons the Schuberth is a quiet lid is because its very tight fitting over my ears, but that leaves no room for the Autocom.

For me, I've refitted the Autocom to my older Arai and am going to use that when I want the Autocom and my nice, shiny, new Schuberth when I don't.:(

You defo still need the earplugs, don't risk your hearing.

the problem you will have with the Schurberth (and many others is) optimum speaker placement for comfort is not optimum for performance.

Talc your ears up, put your helmet on and see where the talc mark is on your helmet lining, then look at the instructions to see where the 'bullseye' of the speaker is - that's how you line them up. If thats not comfortable you need to work harder at getting the speakers recessed further but positioning is critical or performance suffers greatly.

Its fun getting it all sorted, but ride without hearing protection and say goodbye to hearing and hello Tinnitus. :rob

I have the speakers in the right place, moved them and the sound is no better:nenau Great without earplugs but as soon as you put them in it's shyte.

To be honest I cannot be arsed farting around with it, seems too much trouble.

I think I'll remove it and put it on the For Sale section, I've lived without one for this long:blast

I think I'll remove it and put it on the For Sale section, I've lived without one for this long:blast

The Autocom team will be at the Excel show this weekend and will fix your problem

or

you could ride to the factory and they would fix it....but it's a long way from you in Surrey

or

you could return to the shop where you bought it, hook your helmet up on their demonstration rig and get them to sort it

or

there might actually be a fault with the unit which needs returning to the factory.

what about a pair of these; I find them pretty good and 15 eur is not a bad price. They have monitors so you can still hear your motor and surroundings which is safer, you can still hear music/autocom but it cuts the sounds down to safe levels.
motosafe_voorkant_web.jpg

Well an update, this morning I replaced the battery with a fresh one, it's not wired to the bike yet.

Tried my helmet on with my regular ear plugs (foam disposable ones) and got my missus to speak through her headset. I could hear her fine and the music too, but I wasn't on the move on the bike so we put the vacuum cleaner on next to us and I could still hear her OK. Not sure if that is a good test or not?

I could hardly hear the vacuum and it is a loud bugger, so perhaps the Autocom speakers do a good job of cancelling outside noise?

The iPod was on full though, as was the Autocom, so I have no scope to up the volume any more.

i have noticed that the passenger and rider volume is turned up by turning their respective knobs anti clockwise, which goes against any logic i've ever heard, more volume usually means clockwise to me, is it just me or does this sound mad to anyone else???:nenau

autocom duocom

I went the route of having a set of duocoms made up and connected to the autocom. fantastic. been using it for the last 5 years

I just had Autocom install a 300 kit on my R12GS, Nolan 102 & pillion N101. Music and phone sound great with (custom) earplugs for both rider and pillion (so far tested up to 90mph), so I'd guess yours is simply an adjustment problem: increase the gain on the iPod input.

Achim

Tinnitus - now there's a word with a ring to it.

Listen to what this person is saying, I suffer from Tinnitus and it is a direct result of playing music too loud on the stereo when I was a lad. You don't want that suffering believe me.

My speakers were too quiet to hear the intercom at anything above 40mph, but could hear the i-pod ok with it turned up to full, with earplugs in.
In the summer my helmet lining was getting a bit ripe, so took it out for a wash. When putting the speakers back in, it became apparent that I had put them in the wrong way originally (ie facing outwards :blast). With them the right way I can hear Denise at silly speeds, and the i-pod needs to be turned right down.
Not suggesting that anyone else could have done something as dumb.....:augie
Mark

My speakers were too quiet to hear the intercom at anything above 40mph, but could hear the i-pod ok with it turned up to full, with earplugs in.
In the summer my helmet lining was getting a bit ripe, so took it out for a wash. When putting the speakers back in, it became apparent that I had put them in the wrong way originally (ie facing outwards :blast). With them the right way I can hear Denise at silly speeds, and the i-pod needs to be turned right down.
Not suggesting that anyone else could have done something as dumb.....:augie
Mark

No, right way round I did check:augie

Back
Top Bottom