In ear monitors

These things are not 'off the shelf' items, they are bespoke 'made to measure' therefore they take a bit of time to manufacture.

As Judge already explained, the company have experienced delays due to the orders coming in just before the Xmas break, plus staff shortages and supply quality issues, and are working hard to catch up and ensure customer satisfaction.

Maybe we could cut them some slack ??

(FWIW I 'm also waiting for mine to be repaired)

:eek::eek::eek::eek:strewth they fooking better had be:eek

i use the senhieser CX300 in ear jobbies, best £30sovs ive spent:thumb

+ 1 Don't see the point of spending all that money on ear monitors, if you play music through headphones or ear plugs there's going to be some damage to your hearing although less if you don't wear any kind of protection at all. I also make my own plugs from hearing aid impression material but then I'm an Audiologist so I can.....

I have a set of Ultimate Ear 'monitors' and have had mixed results (sorry Judge). The sound quality with Autocom/Mp3/Phone/Satnav is so much better than in-helmet speakers and earplugs and the noise reduction is great BUT......

I bought them at the Beaulieu bike show.They lasted a year before the soft rubber sheathing of the wires split longitudinally where they enter the monitors. I had to send them back and reluctantly pay £50 for the repair. They returned with a hard Vinyl wire but no strain relief (it was requested by me). Within 11 months, the newer hard Vinyl outer wiring sheath had split radially this time, again where the wire enters the monitors.

At the recent NEC show I waited patiently at the Ultimate Ear stand until all customers were served, then discretely complained to the lady serving about my recurring problem. I handed the faulty items over, and had to wait until early January for my sea freight to arrive from abroad before I could get my impressions sent back for the repairs to begin, plus another fee (this time £30).

I haven't abused the product but they do need to be strong enough to resist fraying/splitting with repeated donning and removing of the crash helmet. Ironically my mate had monitors made by a rival company (Headset Services) at the same time for similar money, and his are still perfect and they get used almost daily.:nenau

My monitors have now cost me over £230 with the hassle and cost of repairs included and although the sound quality really is excellent, the cable needs strain relief if it is to last. I hope they fit some this time as it is just common sense and I suspect the 'quality control' Judge mentions may be part of my previous problem(s) along with some minor design tweaks needed to the cabling/monitor interface to make it stronger.

I hope to get them back soon, and be a happy customer once more (touch wood).

My experience has been practically identical, with three slow-boat-to-China repairs to date. I have my iPod hanging on a cord round my neck so there's never any chance of snagging cables when getting on/off the bike or taking the helmet off.

The latest repair has the cable-strain plastics added. Hopefully this will permanently solve the problem. On the positive side, great noise reduction, superb music resolution.

Tim

I would say that most people are not very happy with what they have purchased. You are all entitled to cancel your order and get a refund, as the contract you had with the company has been breached because of the delivery date

Ty
Most people or a few that have posted?
I'm very happy with mine, as are two of my mates who also use them.

if you play music through headphones or ear plugs there's going to be some damage to your hearing

That seems to be a very sweeping statement even given that you are an audiologist.

I play my music through the monitors at "background" level so that I can still hear what is happening around me, i.e. sounds that are still getting past the
monitors.

Would you state that this may/will still result in hearing damage?

This is of particular interest as my father suffers from tinnitus and I believe that it may be genetic.

That seems to be a very sweeping statement even given that you are an audiologist.

I play my music through the monitors at "background" level so that I can still hear what is happening around me, i.e. sounds that are still getting past the
monitors.

Would you state that this may/will still result in hearing damage?

This is of particular interest as my father suffers from tinnitus and I believe that it may be genetic.

It is an incredible statement on more than one level given the expertise an Audiologist is considered to have and people are likely to give credence to it.

Hearing damage is caused by prolonged exposure to noise;

Therefore if you expose your ears to excessive noise you will damage your hearing.

The statement by Beetle2112 over-simplifies matters and assumes the person wearing monitors is putting large amounts of noise into their ears. They could of course, the amount of noise is in their control. A monitor is designed to attenuate ambient noise, that is external noises are reduced, reducing the exposure to noise down to safer levels.

If you reduce ambient noise and the source of the sound you want to listen to is as close as a monitor places it you can listen at very low levels of sound, safely.

This is entirely different to users of normal in ear phones with very little designed-in attenuation like the Sennheiser CX300's mentioned above in this thread.

Because the ear concentrates on the sound nearest to it, these types of earphones give the impression of reducing noise because your ear is focussing on the sound nearest, but you'll find because it offers little in the way of attenuation the sound levels required are much greater to compensate.

If you truly believe in-ear earphones provide hearing protection then do yourself a favour and prove it, put them in your ears and ride for a couple of hours with no music playing through them, then ride home the same distance with a generic hearing product of your choice in your ears and satisfy yourself the protection of the in ear phones with no music provide at least the same attenuation as the generic ear plug.

Assuming because the music can be heard is providing a safe enough environment for your ears is a dangerous thing, the music at the level you are listening to it is masking a real threat to your hearing.

Our monitors attenuate noise by approximately 30dB, better than almost all generic products who's performance is susceptible to the generic product being fitted correctly in to the ear, in many cases people use the wrong size for their ears and as such the performance is reduced.

Additionally the comment about making your own simply because you are an Audiologist needs clearing up. I am as qualified by the British Audiological Society in Otoscopy & Impression Taking and have access to a video otocsope, which allows me to view my own ear on a screen.

Even with this I will never take my own impressions and make my own ear plugs, kits sold for DIY custom ear plugs are probably the biggest risk to your ears than any amount of not using ear plugs, there are plenty of reasons where it would be un-safe to take an impression and I don't believe I could take my own impressions safely and accurately in spite of being trained and qualified to do it for others.

As a company at the Excel show this last weekend we refused enough business on the grounds of safety to have paid for the stand and the staff wages twice over. How would those people have known it wasn't safe to take their own impressions :nenau

I appreciate this is a forum for bikers and not a medical practice discussion forum but people are likely to place credence especially when they associate knowledge/expertise especially when qualifications are dropped into the mix.

wow,
the whole point of in ear monitors is to be able to
1. reduce the amount of external unwanted noise that riding a bike produces
2. allow music or radio etc to be heard at a volume level that does not or should not cause hearing damage
No question that they perform more effectively tham speakers in helmets...oh yes!! (especially where ear plugs are worn so reduce ALL noise...so the wearer has to turn up the volume to hear and so adds to noise levels:blast)

Ultimate in ear monitors have a very good sound quality and reduce external noise very well.
Howver they are too fragile for the use the are supposed to be designed for and the wires will break/split over time. (mine did)
Green leopard use a different design approach and can so survive the use they are put to better than UE. They do rely on on plastic tubes to direct sound into ear canal, so unless you like external rattles and so on, its important to ensure the tubes are not loose around your neck area!!!
AND
if the tube does pull loose from the earplug...repair does not require a second and third mortgage! (Fil S of this site is the man...he will fix:thumb2)

so my vote is for GL FWIW

yes I did over simplify .....Damage to hearing is caused by every environmental sound our hearing systems were never meant to be subject to the amount of sound that ear phones, motorcycles or any modern noise source you can think of...
I could go into all the reasons including Phons curves and Psycho-accoustics but its stuff I learned years ago and I've forgotten most of it. If you feel that you want to spend money on bits of cotton wool anything is better than nowt.

When I said that I made my own ear, plugs it was a throw away line as i have access to the correct silicon based impression material, I never mentioned DIY kits, I wasn't even aware that such a thing existed.

Oh and Judge its the B.S.A ....British Society of Audiologists. Not the British Audiological Society, If you're going to bandy qualifications about at least get the name of the body right.

Oh and Judge its the B.S.A ....British Society of Audiologists. Not the British Audiological Society, If you're going to bandy qualifications about at least get the name of the body right.

I think the advice offered is far more important than shouting whatever my qualification is or accurately recording who it was accredited by.

And its judge not Judge, don't want people to think I'm a qualified one of them either :rolleyes:

I think the advice offered is far more important than shouting whatever my qualification is or accurately recording who it was accredited by.

And its judge not Judge, don't want people to think I'm a qualified one of them either :rolleyes:

You're absoutely correct,but any form of noise attenuation is better than none. I'm also aware now that you are not a member of the Bar, Inner Temple, a Q.C., a Judge or Magistrate. But then you never tried to claim any form of legal qualifications did you? :augie

so are noise cancelling headphones causing damage or preventing damage?

As long as the background noise isn't too loud , the pitch and volume of the BG noise dos'nt change too much, and the sound/music that they're amplifying isn't too loud they should protect your hearing. The problem is, as with all these things the amount of damage caused or prevented is subjective and is hard/impossible to measure accurately. The only thing you really can measure accurately is the attenuation of the sound entering your ear, and, as with most things any manufacturer claims should be taken with a pinch of salt as they usually only give one or two specific frequencies .

But anything is better than nothing .

I'm sorry if this is all a bit vague the whole subject is a nightmare.
and I'm sorry for the hi-jack
Al

Oh well thanks guys looks like iv probably spunked £175............:Motomartin

I think you'll find we'll be looking to prove you wrong. There responses here whilst refelctive of the experiences are not proportional, if they were the company wouldn't still be in business and I wouldn't be associating myself with them either.

I am a customer first - have had products I paid good money for over the last five years and still enjoy them to this day. In that time with 3 products I have suffered one gummed up driver to to wax ingression, down to me for not keeping them clean.

slightly off topic for a mo !

judge , lets say for arguments sake, you buy a set,they need to last a long time !

£175 is a big investment for such an item.

is there a possiblity that over time your ears will change shape thus rendering them not as effective ?? is there a service to cater for this ?

I have a set and think they are great, i have recommended them to others who bought and said they were great, i don't know anyone with a set that does not think they are great. :rob

slightly off topic for a mo !

judge , lets say for arguments sake, you buy a set,they need to last a long time !

£175 is a big investment for such an item.

is there a possiblity that over time your ears will change shape thus rendering them not as effective ?? is there a service to cater for this ?

The ear like the nose is made from cartilage, the only part of our body that continues to grow throughout our lives. But that rate of change is different for everybody, some quicker some slower than others.

If I use my personal experience on this my oldest products are 5 years old, I have noticed no degradation in performance over that time against other moulds/products that have been made much more recently, the last being 3 months ago.

So 5 years for £155 plus £40 for a driver repair at year 3 = £195.

I ride on average 15,000 miles a year and have used them for most of them as well as off the bike (travelling, or just general listening around and about) in short they get a heck of a lot of use.

When they are less good a fit they become less efficient as a hearing protection device, you determine when the product is end of life and act accordingly, use them aware of the fact, retire them from bike use but keep them for non-bike use or replace them.

If mine became end of life now I'd still think for £200 I'd have had good value out of them over 5 years, but they are still going strong are still a good fit and still represent excellent value for money.

It would be fair to say customers who come back for new products are looked after.

Hope that helps.

Thanks judge my comment was tongue in cheek,like most things i shell out my hard earned for, i do research,and from what iv read at various places these items seem to be real good at the job they are designed for.So il look forward to recieving them and put them to the test and hope some of the gremlins others here have experienced will pass me by.......:Motomartin

The ear like the nose is made from cartilage, the only part of our body that continues to grow throughout our lives. But that rate of change is different for everybody, some quicker some slower than others.

If I use my personal experience on this my oldest products are 5 years old, I have noticed no degradation in performance over that time against other moulds/products that have been made much more recently, the last being 3 months ago.

So 5 years for £155 plus £40 for a driver repair at year 3 = £195.

I ride on average 15,000 miles a year and have used them for most of them as well as off the bike (travelling, or just general listening around and about) in short they get a heck of a lot of use.

When they are less good a fit they become less efficient as a hearing protection device, you determine when the product is end of life and act accordingly, use them aware of the fact, retire them from bike use but keep them for non-bike use or replace them.

If mine became end of life now I'd still think for £200 I'd have had good value out of them over 5 years, but they are still going strong are still a good fit and still represent excellent value for money.

It would be fair to say customers who come back for new products are looked after.

Hope that helps.

cheers mate, having never used them its good to be able to gather info from other people experience.
to be honest when funds allow i most likely will give them a go my friend who has had the cable issue with his,still maintains they were a bloody good buy ,just a bit fragile for the motorcycling enviroment.

Thanks judge my comment was tongue in cheek

:blast

I'm still trying to work out if that's you in the avatar how I managed to missed you on the stand as I was there for all four days :nenau

You will also be benefitting from the very latest version of the monitor, having been let down by cable suppliers a number of times we have set about getting our own cable manufactured to our own requirements, they are a drastic change to previous incarnations. Actually had someone observe they might now be too robust :doh

Back
Top Bottom