First Aid Training

I've done a weeks first aid training - the Health and Safety at Work one. Very good, I learnt a lot (most of which I've forgotten a year later). One of the instructors was a biker, so he also showed me how to safely remove a helmet (only to be done if patient not breathing).

One thing he did say is that even without training, if you see a defib unit hanging on a wall nearby, use it, even if not trained. He say's you can't go wrong.

One thing he did say is that even without training, if you see a defib unit hanging on a wall nearby, use it, even if not trained. He say's you can't go wrong.[/QUOTE]

He obviously means an automatic machine. The thing is you still can go very much wrong--if you are touching the pads or patient when it goes off, you're gonna fry too!:rob

B

One thing he did say is that even without training, if you see a defib unit hanging on a wall nearby, use it, even if not trained. He say's you can't go wrong.

He obviously means an automatic machine. The thing is you still can go very much wrong--if you are touching the pads or patient when it goes off, you're gonna fry too!:rob

B[/QUOTE]

helps if you listen to the instructions the defib gives in this case :D.
and yes training helps and first aid, trauma (in my case) training are to very different skills and training and regular practice are necessary to maintain skills.

dont forget to do a handover when professional/medical help arrives.

SAMPLE.

Sorry to tell ya dude, but there is no such thing as a jump start kit. A defibrillator , contrary to common belief, does not restart the heart- it actually stops it and the heart then restarts itself. That of course means it can only be used in certain cardiac conditions, and not the flat-lining one we see on TV.

As regards CPR, it actually includes the air-in bit. If someone is just pounding on the chest, it aint CPR (in the same way 2 bits of bread together aint a sandwich with no filling--they're just 2 bits of bread!)

If you're heading into the boonies, you should have someone with some medical skill. The problem is, learning it isn't enough--it also needs some practice, because when you come face to face with the real thing, the biggest difficulty is keeping cool enough to actually do something. The other thing is that 1st/ambulance aid can only do so much. You still need a doctor/surgeon somewhere not too far down the line--dont forget your "Golden Hour".

Brendy

:clap:clap:clap

Someone knows their stuff!

To be fair any of you keel over on me and I'm just gonna hook you up to the battery on my 1150 and crank it over.

interesting read this.

just goes to show that a little bit of knowledge goes a long way.

ps, CPR is now 15 to 2, and not everyone wants to give mouth to mouth, so as long as the airway is clear, the head tilted back (unless c spine injury, in which case you would need to do a jaw thrust) then keep compressing the chest to 1/3 of the body, should be sufficient until medical help arrives.

Important note, is that before doing ANYTHING ring 999 whilst your making sure YOU and OTHERS are clear of danger.
I also wouldnt recommend removing helmets. Its a two person job. And those two persons should be highly trained.

I am hoping to put together a 'First on Scene' training package for motorcyclists, it wont be an approved certified thing, its more awareness and action.
Iv seen too many accidents to last a lifetime, and seen enough poorly managed casualties, all because we have a desire to help, or muck in.
Im not knocking first aid training im all for it, but for us we need something a bit more focused.

harry

im due for my third "appointed first aider" coarse , we have to do em every year, last one was at kellingnley pit near knottingley.

previous to that was miners rescue near cliffe selby north yorkshire

carry a stun gun that will get em goin again,:eek: he ,he ,he

ugg

Basic Life Support / NWAS Preston.

30 compressions to 2 rescue breaths.

:thumb2 Correct, The Resuscitation Council (UK) endorses this statement on BLS -

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width=550 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=25>

</TD><TD width=525>[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bystanders who have been trained in Basic Life Support (BLS) and who witness a sudden collapse in an adult should immediately initiate rescue actions by providing 30 chest compressions of adequate force and depth at a rate of 100 per minute followed by two mouth-to-mouth ventilations. The rescuer(s) should ensure that ventilations cause minimum interruption of chest compressions. At the same time, other bystanders should alert the Emergency Medical Services. This sequence of chest compressions and ventilations should be continued until professional help arrives. For lay rescuers who have not been trained in BLS, or who are not willing or unable to give mouth-to-mouth ventilations, an acceptable alternative is to give uninterrupted chest compressions at a rate of 100/minute. For those rescuers without BLS training and who receive telephone instructions for BLS, the preferred instruction is to give uninterrupted chest compressions until professional help arrives. [/FONT]

Note, change with a willing bystander every 2 mins if possible to avoid personal exhaustion, if your on your own - continue untill you are unable to carry on.

There are many difficult situtions/problems that can arise at the time that BLS is required or when dealing with an emergency situation, & by learning/training in First aid, it could go a long way to reducing the effects of illness & injury, & indeed save someone's life.

I have attended 2x First Bike on Scene (FBOS) courses & other courses delivered by North West Ambulance Servive (NWAS) at Preston & would recommend there excellent services without question. Courses are usually held at there office in preston (great modern place, private yard for bikes) but they offer to come to train groups anywhere in the country, if you have a venue & some GSer's they should sort something out......
I have no links to/family involved in/payments from this place, just want to pass the info on :thumb, John Ward is recommeded - He's a great teacher.

Web linky - http://www.firstaid-training.com/firstbikeonscene.asp
Email/Phone John Ward - john.ward@nwas.nhs.uk or call 0870 8330 999.

NAB. :bow

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Back
Top Bottom