Poland in the footsteps of the 51st Highland Division

Tim, my Dad was sent to XIB/357 two weeks before they got let out

The Last Escape is a very good book detailing the experiences of POWs on the 'Death March' that many undertook in Winter 1945.

Back in the UK being a POW wasn't exactly an honourable situation, consequently this subject was ignored for many years.

Tim

Personally i love Warszawa. Its full of history from WWII! The old town is brill and its a unique city as no other city in the world has plaques explaining how many people were shot or hung on the very spot or on that street. Its covered in monuments which are dedicated to the Powstanie warszawskie (warsaw uprising).

Hi

I live in Warszawa and I'm not big fan of the town ;) specialy if you have to drive a car every day to work with huge jams. But there are some lovely places to see / visit. Old town, Wilanow, Lazienki park. Not many people know that right side of the Warszawa (Praga) is full of mistery and old buildings that remember II World War. Part called "Saska Kępa" is called little Paris and in the street named Zabkowska (that used to have very bad opinion) where many restaurants and bars were recently opened, art galleries etc.

The best time to visit is summer when traffic is less (holidays) and of course weekends :). Never travel in the week-days around 9 am and 5 pm when people going to / back from work - it'a a disaster! There is saying - if you learned how to drive in Warsaw you can drive everywhere in Poland :thumb

J.

Back
Top Bottom