Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chaz

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Sorry i've been out of touch for a while, started plans for my Ireland run and so been busy for a bit!:aidan

In that we are now 10 weeks away from our departure :tarkaI thought it was about time we put up an equipment thread to enable us to gather equipment we don't have but need, or don't need and would just like to have, there are quite a few novices going on this trip and everyone can benefit from a little advice from the veteran campers/adventurers amongst us!:rob (cue Wully):bow

So the aim of this thread is to try to help us be more organised by way of equipment, a little planning and organisation goes a long way to ensuring an enjoyable trip.

We are looking at listing practical ideas for both camping and personal equipment, some of us can carry more than others so I will start with my initial thoughts and you can all add or take from them!

Remember however, the campsites I have chosen for us are near or provide some facilities for food so pots and pans may not be a must! Beer on the other hand is down right essential :beerjug:

As a reminder:

Sat night - campsite in Castle Douglas (restaurant for evening meal, cafe for breakfast.

Sunday night - This campsite is approx 3 miles from St Andrews but about half a mile from pub grub i'm told for the evening meal. Ronno tells me that St Andrews has a few good curry houses so we have a choice, also the campsite has a camping kitchen we can use if you want to cook your own. The woman running the campsite said she will organise sausage and bacon rolls for breakfast for those who want them at a reasonable price. Job done!!

Monday night - Inverness centre. Loads of choice for evening meal, premier inn brecky!!:thumb

Tuesday night - Durness campsite has a camping kitchen available to us for those who want to cook their own. This is a night where i don't know of any facilities for food apart from the camping kitchen so I intend to load up with supplies in Inverness for that night, i'll probably buy a wee disposable barbecue, burgers, rolls, cheese slices!! Sausages and more rolls for brecky!! Remember this will be an early start for the Cape Wrath crossing.

Wednesday night - Gairloch campsite. I am in the middle of negotiating a rate with the local hotel (at the campsite entrance) to give us a bar meal and a fully cooked breakfast for those who want it. I'm told we are under a mile to the wee local village and 5 minutes walk from a chippy....that'll do me:thumb

Thursday night - Don't know Portree at all, I would imagine the hostel has cooking facilities and we should be getting there early enough to source somewhere to eat and get supplies for brecky!:clap

With all that in mind here is a little of what I will be looking to take:

1. Tent - Always a good start when camping!

2. Tarp - Don't have one yet but if I can source one I think they are a good bit of kit to have!

3. Sleeping bag - I'm hoping to find a nice silk liner for mine as they are supposed to be ace.

4. Self inflating matt.

5. Inflatable Pillow - Told they're worth their weight in gold!

6. Folding Chair - Need to source one that folds down neetly!

7. Exped or Orlieb - Waterproof bag with a roll down top.

8. Skin so soft - midge repellant, lets hope we don't need it but have it in case you do..... those not from Scotland trust me!

9. Flask - always nice to have a cuppa on-route!

10. Wide mothed empty bottle - to piss in, you don't need it, but try finding your way back to the right tent when disoriented and drunk in the middle of the night!:blast

Peronal

2 x t-shirts

2 pair of boxers

4 pair of socks

Pair of jeans

Fleece

Wooly hat

Shoes

Toiletries including toilet roll!!

Think i've probably missed loads, kind of watching a movie whilst doing this so my concentration is split:augie

1. Taking my new Coleman Phad 3... Only ever been pitched in the hall:eek If I can find the time I'll spend a night in it before leaving- just to be sure it all works..

2. Tarp? Usefull if it's wet- but not windy. Hmmmm

3. Sleeping bag - Nice Rab down jobbie + a silk liner. Any twat can be cold at night- I'll be a warm twat inside that lot.

4. Therma rest- as above

5. Squashy camping pillow thing- on top of some bundled clothes as I like a decent pillow

6. Folding Chair- winging it's way to me as I type:D Was going to take a Thermarest chair kit but I'd have had to sit it on a pannier as I don't lke sitting on the ground with my legs straight out in front of me as it gives me a sore back. So, the famous Kermit chair has been ordered. Better be good 'cos it wisnae cheap.

7. Exped or Orlieb stuff sacks. Loads of them. Doss bag and clothes will be kept dry!!!

8. Boatle 'o good whusky - for a wee night cap:beerjug:

9. Jetboil, filter press mug,ground coffee,wee pan to make breakie pancakes. GOT to have a cup of coffee in the morning:bounce1

10. Wide mouthed empty bottle - to piss in. Fekin hate staggering about in the dark, drizzle,sheep shit in the middle of the night for a wass...

11. Platypuss fold flat water carrier- to ensure No10 gets used...

Some clean keks, semmit 'n soaks.

Wolly bunnet, spare fleece, Tilley hat, beer money, tooth brush, pack towel.

Oh aye - and whit ever I've forgetten:augie

Taking my new Coleman Phad 3... Only ever been pitched in the hall:eek If I can find the time I'll spend a night in it before leaving- just to be sure it all works..

Might be an idea to take it camp somewhere other than the hall right enough Wully:augie...even the garden would be an improvement:D

As this is the first time, this is great advise....:thumb

I must "pitch" my tent in the garden soon, just to be sure i know what to do:augie

It a 3 man tent.. so a bit on the large side...

Also advised to take a torch & a small mallet for the guide wires....:eek:onyack

Good ebay shop

Just bought some stuff from a good wee ebay store at really good prices!!

Got a couple of expeds, an ortlieb and a silk sleeping bag liner....£54 delivered:thumb

Here's the link, the lassie (Pauline) says she does all the snugpak range as well!!

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Baxters-Military-Direct

It's all going up by 20% when she updates the shop apparently so get it quick:)

Bike spares

What are you guys taking for your bikes besides the standard toolkit?

I'm planning on picking up one of those 'pluggy' puncture repair kits. Local BMW dealer wants 25E for it so I'm hoping to find one cheaper before the trip.

Anything else?

What are you guys taking for your bikes besides the standard toolkit?

I'm planning on picking up one of those 'pluggy' puncture repair kits. Local BMW dealer wants 25E for it so I'm hoping to find one cheaper before the trip.

Anything else?

I'm taking a puncture repair kit, Leatherman and my BMW assistance card:blast

It a 3 man tent.. so a bit on the large side...

You'll probably find it's just big enough... Once you and all you kit is inside it:augie

Me and fruitcake have tried camping in a two man tent and that's far too small.
We just about manage in a 3 man tent.

youdont need to take a pillow use a semi inflated stuff sack:thumb2
you dont all need to take tarps 1 tarp with 4 tents leading from it

Getting Close!

Not long now people, time to tighten up on details:eek

I think it might be handy to know who will be using sat nav on the trip, i'm sure I have asked this before but can't find the details:blast

As my computer is still dead I am having to rely on others to help me put the final details onto mapsource (that'll teach me to be disorganised), this shouldn't take too long though so if I have a definate list of those who need the route for their gps I will get it off asap:aidan

Also, it might be an idea to know who will have bike to bike communications! If we are going to use a drop off system such as that used in the boreen run it will be handy to know who has comms.

As pointed out before the group is now 17 or so strong and so separate groups might not only be a good idea but one that will inevitably evolve. In this case it would be advantageous to have a couple of people with radios on each group (if possible). One at the lead and one at the tail!:thumb

One last thing....thanks to Wookie for putting the contacts link up http://clikboard.com/w/790239410.
I recommend that each rider makes a note of the details on Wookie's site and takes them with them, either by simply writing it all down in a wee pad for the back pocket, or inputting the details to their mobiles....or both!

GPS and Bike to Bike

I would like the routes for my Zumo 550 if at all possible. I am a mac user though so I'm not sure if it is possible to send me the routes. If I can get them onto my SD card I would be able to use them. If anyone has any idea how to do it I would really appreciate some advice.

I don't have bike to bike.

Otherwise I'm fully tooled up with camping kit and ready to go. I just need to try it all on the bike.

Oh and maybe I ought to practice camping!

I would like the routes for my Zumo 550 if at all possible. I am a mac user though so I'm not sure if it is possible to send me the routes. If I can get them onto my SD card I would be able to use them. If anyone has any idea how to do it I would really appreciate some advice.

I have the same setup (550 and Mac) and I use the Garmin RoadTrip tool to manage maps for the Mac. You can download it at http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/

I don't have bike to bike.

Me neither.

Charlie,
No GPS & no comms. I'll just have to be one of the sheep and follow:D

Charlie

No GPS, No Comms, No Maps (note to self, buy map:D), and still waiting to get the bike back:D:D

Looks like i`ll be one of those followers:blast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom