BMW Don't Recommend HID - I have some questions?

Some ballasts used in HID conversions cause electrical interference (they are 'pulsey' inverter things after all) and could conceivably give grief to canbus type systems. A suitable filter in the supply line to the ballast (choke and capacitors) should prevent this.

Nick

Strange. Ocean fitted mine back in 2004 before the bike left the showroom. :nenau

Yes they told me they used to fit them but they don't anymore and they strongly discourage anyone fitting them now :rob

WOW HID is a compelling upgrade. Has anyone one done Main, Hi Beam and Aux lights on an Adventurer?

What about MOT's?? Will they fail because of HID?

Looking at HID50.com I'd be interested in the HID50 on all my lights, but which is the better kits to go for 5000K or 6000K?

Surely fitting HID would only invalidate the warranty if the HIDs were shown to be the cause of the fault you are making a claim for?

I can't see HIDs to be at fault if your final drive packs in!!!

Fit them! It's the best possible mod you can do to the bike if you ride in the dark regularly and it couldn't be simpler to complete. I got my kit from zerocool as they were almost half the price of those being offered by Les Wassal. They work a treat, I've had no CAN bus faults and my only complaint is the reflected glare I get when riding in drizzle and heavy spray conditions, which is just about everyday right now! Crikey, am I moaning about something being too bloody good? I'd better have a word with myself!

WOW HID is a compelling upgrade. Has anyone one done Main, Hi Beam and Aux lights on an Adventurer?

What about MOT's?? Will they fail because of HID?

Looking at HID50.com I'd be interested in the HID50 on all my lights, but which is the better kits to go for 5000K or 6000K?

Yep mate have HID50w 6000K in both low and high Beam and my Aux lights on my 1200ADV. :D Been on there now for nearly 2 years and no prob, great bit of kit :thumb2
My girl friend also has them fitted in low and high beam on her 1150gs :comfort

Yep mate have HID50w 6000K in both low and high Beam and my Aux lights on my 1200ADV. :D Been on there now for nearly 2 years and no prob, great bit of kit :thumb2
My girl friend also has them fitted in low and high beam on her 1150gs :comfort

I'll have a look at yours on the Devon rideout if I don't buy them by then!

What's hi beam like??

Just got some info back from Les Wassall. £399 for all lights HID50 6000K plug n play kits with alittle work on the aux bulb plugs. Was wondering how much work is involved and estimated time to complete?

Just got some info back from Les Wassall. £399 for all lights HID50 6000K plug n play kits with alittle work on the aux bulb plugs. Was wondering how much work is involved and estimated time to complete?

Hi no prob have a look at mine if you don't get before, time fitting half a day should see you up and running. Mounting the ballasts takes the most time and Les does a good mounting bracket to handle the 4 ballasts that you will need to fit. To be honest don't use high beam much at all as low beam so good :thumb2 My bike goes to Ocean for servicing and never been any problems there so as mods go HIDs one of the best in my book.:blagblah

Indecisives comments.

Worthy of a move to "The rant" section I'd say.

Indecisive? :blast

Yeah, I didn't really pick up on any decisive anti :ronno comments in that post. Anyone else?:rolleyes:

Hi no prob have a look at mine if you don't get before, time fitting half a day should see you up and running. Mounting the ballasts takes the most time and Les does a good mounting bracket to handle the 4 ballasts that you will need to fit. To be honest don't use high beam much at all as low beam so good :thumb2 My bike goes to Ocean for servicing and never been any problems there so as mods go HIDs one of the best in my book.:blagblah

Fitted my main and hi beam today, even with the suggested tea breaks in the destructions supplied by Les it only took 2 hours and believe me when I say I am useless at stuff like that. Tested tonight and WOW! why aren't these fitted as standard?? Had to adjust the beam height to stop burning the retinas of on coming drivers even on low beam, definitely no need to add any spots now! Highly recommended. :thumb

yes me!
i have a new gsa, i also fitted them to my 07 gs
i bought 2 of the cheapest sets from ebay..20 quid a set, fitted them in a few hours and no problems, aux, main and dip, i cut off all the plugs and soldered all the joints using shrink wrap etc, i cant see what all the fuss is about with this canbus, it scares people shitless! it's been on cars for years all who have hid option, my bro paid well over 350 quid for his hids for the same bike and they are no brighter than mine

I was quoted £399 from Les for 4 sets, Low, Hi, 2x Aux lights all rated at HID50 including postage. Seems expensive when you look at ebay? Came across this site...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product.php?productid=147

and one kit HID55 only costs £83 compared to Less Wassall which is £159 for HID50. Any reason why so many seem to be loyal to Les and pay more? Is it because Les supplies plug n play kits and require very little to no modifications?

OK this might turn some heads!

Upon research HIDs further I came accross these two websites both saying NO...

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/Hid/conversions/conversions.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVuSSdZNsZw

Seems that it is illegal to convert an existing halogen light to HID. Now I'm not poo poing the idea, infact i'm sold on the idea in order to have better lights, but I don't want to spend £400 then be stopped by the police or fail a future MOT which seems probable accord to this info I've posted!

For those who may slam me for this - please read the articles first especially the youtube clip!

I don't want to spend £400 then be stopped by the police or fail a future MOT which seems probable accord to this info I've posted!

Don't do it then.

Leave the rest of us to live on the edge in peace.

I was quoted £399 from Les for 4 sets, Low, Hi, 2x Aux lights all rated at HID50 including postage. Seems expensive when you look at ebay? Came across this site...

http://www.hids4u.co.uk/product.php?productid=147

and one kit HID55 only costs £83 compared to Less Wassall which is £159 for HID50. Any reason why so many seem to be loyal to Les and pay more? Is it because Les supplies plug n play kits and require very little to no modifications?

The £159 is of the www.hid50 site which has to pay for itself, the £399 was a miss pushed key as they are never that much for a kit, even of the hid50 site, but if you quote you are a UKGSER member then you get a disscounted price, :blast get a lot of tyre kickers of hid50 :D

Cheers

and one kit HID55 only costs £83 compared to Less Wassall which is £159 for HID50.

Correct 1 hid kit £83 mine are for 2 hids at £159 price, less to forum members :thumb2, also the Ultra Slim ballasts, no mention of Slim on there add :augie

Back
Top Bottom