No GPS, No Motorways

Don't be so bloody patronising and presumptious. I've been using GPS in cars for the last 10 years all over Europe with all the options you describe. It doesn't change my opinion of its usefulness in this trip.

This is about biking in the Alps with very few road options. It's about the overall riding experience NOT which system you think is more efficient.

We won't be riding at night either.

If you can't be arsed to read a map maybe this isn't the trip for you, not that you were even an "maybe".

:popcorn

:Motomartin

Don't be so bloody patronising and presumptious. I've been using GPS in cars for the last 10 years all over Europe with all the options you describe. It doesn't change my opinion of its usefulness in this trip.

This is about biking in the Alps with very few road options. It's about the overall riding experience NOT which system you think is more efficient.

We won't be riding at night either.

If you can't be arsed to read a map maybe this isn't the trip for you, not that you were even an "maybe".

:clap

I'm all for a laugh, taking the pish, and making flippant remarks, but Magnum has a point.:comfort

His original suggestion has been misunderstood in the spirit of the event.

I have decided to procure a map and see how I fare, but for personal reasons, such as a slight fear of heights and therefore imagining that the first time I'll look down at the map is the time I will miss a turn and bowl over the edge of a cravass and plummet to a grisly end, means I will be relying on my GPS.

That will probably yield the same results, but at least it will be an exit accurate to within 10 metres...:D

However, if I can use the map, I will - I was using maps years ago, when the latest GPS was called a sextant, so I know how to use them, but now just have an aversion to taking my eyes off the road unnecessarily.

Mind you, I suspect that if and when we do get lost, we'll actually be stopped and off the bikes, arguing and poring over the map, anyhow!

I'm a Novice as this kind of big, road-trip-kind-of-thing, and appreciate Magnum's help and time in even suggesting this trip, let alone managing it.:bow

Rant over.:topic

JB

I'm all for a laugh, taking the pish, and making flippant remarks, but Magnum has a point.:comfort

I have decided to procure a map and see how I fare, but for personal reasons, such as a slight fear of heights and therefore imagining that the first time I'll look down at the map is the time I will miss a turn and bowl over the edge of a cravass and plummet to a grisly end, means I will be relying on my GPS.

That will probably yield the same results, but at least it will be an exit accurate to within 10 metres...:D

However, if I can use the map, I will - I was using maps years ago, when the latest GPS was called a sextant, so I know how to use them, but now just have an aversion to taking my eyes off the road unnecessarily.

Mind you, I suspect that if and when we do get lost, we'll actually be stopped and off the bikes, arguing and poring over the map, anyhow!

I'm a Novice as this kind of big, road-trip-kind-of-thing, and appreciate Magnum's help and time in even suggesting this trip, let alone managing it.:bow

JB

Totally agree with Yoy.

Magnum, Your aim for the the spirit of the trip is respected. :thumb2

The attendees opinions are really all that matter in this thread. :rob

JB
Thank you mate. Have a beer :beerjug:

About the fear of heights thing - I actually suffer in the same way although having lived out here for the last year has helped me conquer it. The key point here is that when you are riding mountain passes, the turnings are few and far between, so you don't really need to take your eyes of the road to look at your map or GPS for that matter. Just enjoy the riding :JB

Totally agree with Yoy.

Magnum, Your aim for the the spirit of the trip is respected. :thumb2

The attendees opinions are really all that matter in this thread. :rob
Nice one. Have a beer too pal :beerjug:

I'm filling up, sniff :D

I'm not too bad with the height thing - I've done a number of "management" training things in the past, like abseiling off waterfalls, climbing telegraph poles, and stuff, but sometimes get a bit...crazy???

I don't quite get dizzy by stepping off a high kerb, but had a bit of a moment in Andorra, when, looking ahead round the hairpin (as you do), I noticed that the road was attached to the side of the 400mile high mountain by lolly sticks.

Clearly, the lolly sticks had been there since Mr Whippy was a mere lash of a boy, and were not due to collapse anytime soon, but the irrational thought process took over.

Needless to say, until then I was haring along at 60+, then dropped to 20ish for several miles, until I was at the bottom of the mountain!

I should be absolutely fine, but if we're following someone, they can look at the map/GPS/star charts :D

Yoy

PS - the GVA trip was cancelled due to lack of budget, and now I don't get to go to Montreal in August, either. BUM. I have 4 or 5 trips to Paris to arrange, though.

and 4 -

untitled.jpg

:D:D

JB

Is the horse dead or should we flog it some more?

Maps 4 GPS 4

I think it's a draw. :nenau

Personally I think it's time for a nice cup of tea.

Bandit
:)

PMSL!

I think it died long ago, but it's fun waiting for the next snipe! LOL

Personally, so long as we get where we're going, I'll be happy.

And the tea's on me :beerjug:

JB

I'll get me coat...

Point well made. And I agree this should be the EOSATD Tour 2009.

Bandit
:)

ps This one's for you Yoy

EOSA Tea Drinking Tour 2009 of course..

There are so many nice teas in the world and riding is such thirsty work.

Bandit
:beerjug:
:beer:
:ChrisKelly
:thumb

Back
Top Bottom