***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new rubber!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

new rubber!!

I have metzeler tyres on my 04 GS and they are about knackered! I have been looking at new ones and need a steer.

Does anybody have a strong views on tyres. I am 90/95% road and use the bike on longer journeys in the main.

The sizes are 110/80/r 19 front
    150/70 r 17 on the rear.

I don't ride like a looney! Help please.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    metzler tourance for your 95%
    bridgeston bt020 100% road
    have ridden down a fair few sets of each good sound predictable shoes imho

Thanks for that. I got the bike 2nd hand and they were on it. Have no base of reference but I had not heard of the brand before.

For such a big/tall bike it can really take a high angle in corners and I have never felt that its going to let go. Bit hesitant in the wet as I am still new on bikes!

It`ll ride much better on fresh rubber too

Senior Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I've got Bridgestone 020 front and 021 rear and these give great grip and feel

crobinson40
    try roundandblack on ebay they do pair deals of tyres good prices as well

I have got prices from black circles - about £150 for the pair fitted..

Can`t go wrong for trhat money

Conti

TRAIL

ATTACKs

Stickier (and a LOT quieter) than them Tourance rubbish on the road. - but still aimed at the same market - road and gentle off road.

Quote Originally Posted by motobiker View Post
    Conti

TRAIL

ATTACKs

Stickier (and a LOT quieter) than them Tourance rubbish on the road. - but still aimed at the same market - road and gentle off road.

I`ve got those but I didn`t want to confuse the guy with a best tyre rant

Quote Originally Posted by motobiker View Post
    Conti

TRAIL

ATTACKs

I've had a pair of these on my GSA12 since the spring - am impressed with them. Great in the dry, done some light lane work & all good, been thru les fords and very secure in the seriously driving rain....
    Bounce

KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    KTM 400 EXC

Deadhead Member Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by AWMotech View Post
    Up for new tyres shortly, very disappointed to see still no 19 on the pilot roads 3's :-(

Tourances again for me I think
    Why go from wanting a road tyre to a pseudo off road tyre?

Other good road tyres are Roadsmarts or (what I use) Avon Azaro/STs. The Avons work very well on the GS. They smooth out the ride, grip is very good wet and dry and,well, they just work well with the bike. They are a bit old hat now but consistently came out as the best road tyre for the GS in reviews at the time.
    You'll get good prices on them which is a bonus and Avon still offer their puncture guarantee.

Andres
    Doris doesn't give a fuck...be more like Doris!

Just fitted a pair if Pilot Road 4's to my 1200 gs ,just done a gentle 10 mile bimble and spotted my mate coming home from work , pulled up at his house , told him about the new tyres at he said "shit your have already got within an inch of the edge !"

An inch? He`s easily impressed

I have used Tourance on both the standard GS1150 and the 1150Adv for the last 8 years and 150,000 miles between them. I ride right through the winter and they have stayed rubber side down wet, dry, snow and ice. I get around 13,000 miles out of a set, but having seen some of the tyres parked at the airport I change mine way earlier than many riders out there.

How do you know the tyres are noisy? I can't hear a thing over the exhaust and the radio blaring in my ears. I am perfectly happy with the ability of the Tourances, solo or loaded. Far more important, has anyone noticed a difference in fuel consumption? An extra 2mpg from a particular tyre would pay for itself over the life of the tyre.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast