new rubber!!

On Tourance EXP's which seem pretty good at moderate pace and feel fine in the cold weather and no problems running over odd damp patch.

New to bike from sports bike past, can highly recommend Roadsmarts which fit the GS and are brilliant wet or dry and the current press favourite, will almost certainly fit these for next summers tour.

Like look of Trail Attacks as they seem to have more tread ratio, pity it goes right to the edge, years ago sports tyres started to go slicker (or slick) near edges as manufacturers realised riders do not lean right over in the wet.

About time someone came up Dual purpose tyre with much narrower grooves for last inch or so at the edge of the tyre to give a bit more feel and grip near the limit.

Really cannot see the Tourances I have being a lot better than a Roadsmart / PR2 ? BT023 etc in the dirt, yet it probably carries quite a penalty on-road, only really the "look" that makes me desire a DP tyre as I feel the GS may look a bit "odd" on sticky rubber.

Conti

TRAIL

ATTACKs

Stickier (and a LOT quieter) than them Tourance rubbish on the road. - but still aimed at the same market - road and gentle off road.

trailattack_pic.jpg

I've had a pair of these on my GSA12 since the spring - am impressed with them. Great in the dry, done some light lane work & all good, been thru les fords and very secure in the seriously driving rain....

I was on a recent rideout 2 up in wet conditions recently on my 2010 GSA. The rear stepped out twice and the front once. I'm an IAM Observer so I like to think that my cornering technique is OK! The Tourances are fine in dry conditions but certainly do not inspire confidence in the wet! I'm thinking of putting a set of road tyres on as I don't do any off roading (yet). This is my first 'duel purpose' bike having had many sport, sport tour and full on tourers. I found Pilot Road 2's to be the best all round tyres, unfortunately, they don't this tyre fitting for a 19" wheel! any recomendations?

I find that hard to fathom. I've done 75-80,000 miles on Tourances and they offer excellent wet grip. Better than BT020's and Bridgestone Battlewings both of which I tried but went back to Tourances because of the superior wet weather performance. I've not tried the EXP version of the Tourance so can't comment on them.

Dave

Conti Trail Attacks are the dogs, everybody has their own take on what's the best tyre, however I think the pro's in Germany's Motorrad mag know what they are talking about.

Not many of us can ride a bike to it's limits like bike testers can, ( some Tossers like to think they can ) lets face it most journalists are wannabe or ex racers and they know how a tyre reacts better than the average Jo who perhaps rides 6000 miles a year.

OK, some Tossers can ride like the pro's but most can't!

Read this... After having 4 sets of tyres I took their advice and tried the Conti's, and I totally agree, best tyres I've ever had! :thumb
http://www.conti-online.com/generat...ycle/general/links/news/cta_testwinner_en.pdf

I agree with Dave. Regular Tourance front and back for 42,000 miles and they are fine in the rain. Not bad in slush either :thumb2

I read through the report from Mottorad... Funny that they were impressed by the German tyres.:D
Would one of our mags. try and push Avon? Especially if the advertising was good?:augie
Anyway - v. happy with the Contis but the review says made in Germany. Mine are made in Korea. :nenau

Just fitted Cont road attack 2's to my 01 GS1150, done approx 150 miles on them seem to be good in the wet so far and quick to steer while feeling planted, but i dont think the rear will last long as i've worn off the word attack in the tyre already!! :eek:

As long as they grip like a b***tard i dont care!!
:thumb2

I was just looking to see what I should be paying for a set of Tourances, and came across this one:

http://www.metzelermoto.co.uk/web/TouranceRecall_UK_en.page

Question is, what should I be paying for a set for a GS 1200??

first quote £260 fitted.....yikes!

zappa

Had a pair of Tourances fitted at Alan Jeffries yesterday, great service, ride in/out for £237, little more expensive than Sirrels/Bike Tyres Leeds but as they are not yet open at the weekends, I chose to go to AJ's.

Tentative ride home in appalling conditions but in the dryer conditions today felt like night and day from the rather square and 6 year old originals.:thumb

Hoses for courses.

I was just looking to see what I should be paying for a set of Tourances, and came across this one:

http://www.metzelermoto.co.uk/web/TouranceRecall_UK_en.page

Question is, what should I be paying for a set for a GS 1200??

first quote £260 fitted.....yikes!

zappa
Just got some from universal tyres on eby gumbay, £184 delivered, should cost no more than £25 fitted and balanced to loose wheels,ps they are tourance vrp or whatever the latest name is, lot about tyres can be in your mind , thats why i have bought metz cos i trust them. good luck. ride safe:flag

tourance

Heads up on the old tourance 163 a pair on fleabay delivered, I have them on my 17 / 19 combo on my KTM 990 and will be my replacement on 1150gs, have been known to ride like a twat come rain or shine and really rate these tyres, never had a prob, I think its just each to their own tho when it comes to tyre choice once you have a slip or two it plays tricks with your head

I was on a recent rideout 2 up in wet conditions recently on my 2010 GSA. The rear stepped out twice and the front once. I'm an IAM Observer so I like to think that my cornering technique is OK! The Tourances are fine in dry conditions but certainly do not inspire confidence in the wet! I'm thinking of putting a set of road tyres on as I don't do any off roading (yet). This is my first 'duel purpose' bike having had many sport, sport tour and full on tourers. I found Pilot Road 2's to be the best all round tyres, unfortunately, they don't this tyre fitting for a 19" wheel! any recomendations?

Were these original or Tourance EXP's.

I've had EXP's on the last two new GS's that I've bought,first one I swapped them after very few miles.They felt awful

Second one,they had improved slightly but still didn't like them swapped back to original Tourances.

Steve

You are not Spadger,you imposter. :augie

My Border collie is spadger.:thumb

Steve

they're mad those collies:pullface, good name tho, I had a one we called fetch which made it even :pullface:blast, yea mine are the old tourances, personally think they're great rain or shine , dont seem to last long tho

Tourance

I'm on standard Metzler Tourance with my 1200GS. They've done 10,000 miles so far, the rear has squared-off a bit but it's still ok. I'm guessing the rear probably has 2,000 miles in it, maybe less. Overall, I feel OK with them and have not had any moments when I've smelled the adrenalin, despite the lovely weather we've been enjoying since last April...

My previous bike (GSF650 Bandit) had a succession of sets of Michelin Pilot Road 2 - great grip, excellent wear - and before that, Battlax BT21's which were similar but not as good, either in terms of grip or wear.

Anakee 3

Were these original or Tourance EXP's.

I've had EXP's on the last two new GS's that I've bought,first one I swapped them after very few miles.They felt awful

Second one,they had improved slightly but still didn't like them swapped back to original Tourances.

Steve

give these a try just launched Anakee 3 £182 a pair:thumb

Had a set of Tourance Next fitted 2 weeks ago, about 800 miles on them now, loads of grip and seemed good on damp roads too
Ride the GS like a sports bike and these are the best tyres so far!:flag

Cheers for that - was looking for user views on them as getting new rubber this weekend.

DS

Back
Top Bottom