France - the Great '3 Day Bimble'

The meet on 8th sounds like a good idea for me. Will try and make it.

Originally I was simply suggesting meeting on 21st for a general natter for those on the south coast, at which we could take the opportunity to talk about our plans. Are we going to get together on this Sunday 8th March so we can confirm details or discuss plans for Le Bimble ? If so that's fine by me. The Franklin Arms ? 7.30 ?

Now I'm completely confused. :confused: March 21st or March 8th at the Franklin Arms...................whaaaaaa?

Now I'm completely confused. :confused: March 21st or March 8th at the Franklin Arms...................whaaaaaa?

Well I don't mind both :D. I suppose as long as we are all happy with the plans (and I am) we can wait until the 21st.

WindyChuffer: is that ok or do you think we need to get together before then?

Well I don't mind both :D. I suppose as long as we are all happy with the plans (and I am) we can wait until the 21st.

WindyChuffer: is that ok or do you think we need to get together before then?

21st works for me, as does the 8th. I think I may have confused things by mentioning the 8th; I can't recall where that came from now. Apologies if I just slipped it in...

It looks like the 21st is the best date for a pre-trip get together then - I'll look forward to it. I thought that I would bring things up to date. Unless someone else pops-up over the weekend, here is the list of participants:
  • OldRascal
  • Mattrex
  • Windy Chuffer
  • Scuba-Sparky
  • GreatScott
  • Strider (to be confirmed).
I spoke with Jean one of the English owners of Petit-Illyria, (www.petit-illyria.eu.com) our proposed first night stopover in the pretty town of Saint-James, (which is not that far from Mont. St. Michel by the way). I have discussed prices with her and availability. Here is what she said:

"Feck-off you hairy assed bad boys, we know your type and we're not letting you loose near our sweet and pretty young local lassies". :jibberbig

Er..........where was I?

Oh yes, she proposes a room with bathroom ensuite with double beds and breakfast for €65 inclusive. And she also has a family suite with bathroom ensuite which has 2 rooms, one with twin beds and the other with double and she charges €120 inclusive of breakfast. So that's around €30 each which is not to painful. If we are 5, each one has a bed but at 6, someone is either sharing the double or kipping on the sofa/floor. There is secure parking for the bikes.

The hotel does a gastronomique 3-course dinner including aperitif, canapes and wine for €25 per head. The hotel is in the middle of the town so I have no view about eating at the hotel or eating out although €25 won't get you far these days in normal restaurants in France. I suppose it depends if we are collectively hungry or not. Personally, I am always hungry and thirsty in France.:ChrisKelly

She is happy to reserve on the basis of an e-mail and doesn't need a deposit - I said I would let her know one way or the other by Monday March 9th. I have also checked availability of the Newhaven-Dieppe ferry which still shows OK at £40 return per bike.

Then one thing to consider is bad weather which we should check the week before we go, as 5-day coastal forecasts for in-shore are pretty accurate. I don't suppose anyone fancies throwing up for 4 hours so its well worth while taking out cancellation insurance when we book. I think its about £5. We then have the choice of switching to the Dover-Calais route which is much shorter or, at a pinch, Eurotunnel. Anyhow, worth considering and, if it really has become foul for the whole weekend, we could consider delaying the trip for 1 or 2 weeks. But let's think positively and look forward to the empty roads and temperate weather that will surely be ours.:Motomartin

I note that I have inadvertantly removed the Dieppe to Saint James route map from a previous post, so here it is again:

SaintJames.jpg

Hi Everyone :comfort

Still sounding good :thumb2 I see our reputation is proceding us :augie
Can I have some info on where the pre trip meet is being held, makes it sound like were going off on a big long adventure! :drool Oh no thats the following weekend!! :JB :roll
Morroco here I come!! :clap

Scuba :bounce1

Call that far................with all those frightened wee lasses awaiting us in Saint-Jean. :hug

Its a stroll-in-the-park, Scuba-Parky. Its 3 hours of pleasant riding along empty roads with your mates as company - it takes that long to get to Dover for some of us South Coast lads.

We'll look after you, don't you worry.:comfort

Call that far................with all those frightened wee lasses awaiting us in Saint-Jean. :hug

Its a stroll-in-the-park, Scuba-Parky. Its 3 hours of pleasant riding along empty roads with your mates as company - it takes that long to get to Dover for some of us South Coast lads.

We'll look after you, don't you worry.:comfort

Hi Old Rascal. sorry to mess you about on this one! Looks like i wont make the dates now, or at least it will be difficult to arrange. It might still be ok, but i dont want to mess you about any more than i have so will pull out this time.

Hope to see you on the next one (please PM me with plans for your next trip). Wishing you an excellent 3 days on the road!! :beerjug:

Hey Strider, thanks for the update, although it looks like you won't be coming along. :( That said, as we have a spare place in one of the rooms for the first night, you are welcome to decide at the last minute if you have a change of plans and can find the time or even peel off back to Blighty on Saturday if that helps. :augie

Either way, I'll keep you up to speed on all forthcoming rides. Cheers mate.

Hi Oldraskel

You dont have to worry about distances and me in France, have done quite a bit over there :rolleyes: And still love it over there!! :drool :thumb

:beerjug:

:beer:

:ChrisKelly

:JB

Right, here is the final list for the April 3rd to April 5th jaunt:
  • OldRascal
  • Mattrex
  • Windy Chuffer
  • Scuba-Sparky
  • GreatScott
If Strider manages to juggle his obligations, I've suggested that he join us wherever he can, but in any case, I think that we should lock in the riders by the end of today. And on the basis that we are all happy with our first night's layover in Saint-James, I have to let Jean at Petit-Illyria know about our requirements and ETA so its decision time. :ronno

I am PMing a copy of this post to each of you in case you don't notice it but, if the trip is definitely a 'goer', we should book our return ferry fares as a first step. I recommend taking out cancellation insurance at €8 just in case we need to - er, cancel. :augie The total return price including cancellation is £47.80 and here is a link to the relevant booking page.

The later we leave the reservations and hotel confirmation, the more likely that everything starts to become booked - bear in mind that it is the week prior to Easter and the French always travel at this period. I don't want to make the hotel booking commitment, obviously, without everyone having a place booked on the ferry first. :blast

So let's hear from you. :D

It seems that the link to the LDLines ferry booking page has expired so its best if you just go to http://www.ldlines.co.uk/ and then fill in the dates and times manually.

I have taken a screen grab to confirm the times and cost:

Untitled.jpg

GreatScott has suggested that we base ourselves for both nights in Saint-James. I think that is a cracking idea as the town is bang in the middle of some great biking country. I might even be able to get a discount for 2 nights.

I suppose if the hotel turns out not to be the summit of local hotellerie but a whore house, for example, we could always refuse to stay the 2 nights and - er, make it 3. :D

So, Scuba, Windy and Mattrex, let me know if you are up for it.

Booked the ferry.

Staying in same place for 2 nights sounds sensible; and seems likes a good base.

I didn't bother with the cancellation insurance as it's travel insurance (I have an annual policy); you can't cancel if you feel like it, has to be something serious i.e. job loss, breavement etc.

So, until beers on the 21st then; I'll be kipping in the pub car park in my camper van.

Just got a PM from Mattrex who is unable to make the trip after all. Tough call mate but we will hook-up next time, I am sure. :thumb2

So that leaves the following confirmed:

• OldRascal
  • Windy Chuffer
  • Scuba-Sparky
  • GreatScott
As we are all now booked on the ferry, I will email the hotel with confirmation of the 2-day booking. But we have a choice. If we keep the family suite at €120 per night, that works out at €30 each. But the suite has 1 x double bed and 2 x singles, so that means 2 of us sharing the double or 1 in the double bed and 1 on the sofa/floor.

The alternative is keeping the Family Suite and Double Room arrangement at a total of €165 total which is €46 per person per night. But that does give us each a bed and is my personal preference. Can you let me know which option you are happy with, bearing in mind that those who opt for the Family Suite on its own option should, in fairness, share the double bed. :D

Back
Top Bottom