Thread: K1100LT

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

K1100LT

I'm thinking of buying one - 1993 with 70k miles. I know they're a bit of a tank but do they have any common faults or is there anything I should look out for.

Thanks in advance for any help

1996 K1100LTSE

I had a 96 K1100LTSE in aspen silver, I bought it when it was a year old with 16k miles and sold it five years later with only 40k on it and bought a new 1150GSA. I paid £5800 for the K1100 which was very cheap at the time and sold the bike for £5000, New the bike cost nearly £12000.

I had no problems with the bike at all in that time but if I remember correctly there was a wee mod to the clutch arm. Basically it needed a grease nipple fitted and that was all! It was just regular servicing and I had to fit a new battery. Didn't seem to have any corrosion problems either and a rode the bike all year! It was a bit smokey when you started the bike if you left it on the side stand for any length of time though.

The weather protection was fantastic and you could adjust the electric screen so there was no windblast whatsoever and the K1100 was a great mile muncher but no lightweight!

FP.

UKGSer of 2014 (Dead) Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I've ridden a few. Neil (Steptoe's the man to list their mechanical weaknesses) but from a rider's perspective:

I thought that the Paralever rear was an improvement over the Plain-Jane shaft of the K100/75's, the 16v model brakes were better too as was the use of the "S-type" forks.

I didn't like the fact that the fairing was moved forwards about 3-4 inches (it made it seem much heavier on the front end), the electric screen added weight, wasn't really necessary and was prone to failure. The rubber mounted pegs removed any 'feel' through your feet and the instruments moved from the handlebars to the fairing bracket and rubber mounted made them wobble about alarmingly.

They are seen as bit of a barge, limited options on tyres (Dunlop used to do a Radial but I don't think it's available any more, so it's bias-belted only). However, they can be hustled along pretty quickly and have enough 'real-world' performance to still be a quick and comfortable means of travel.

If you've never ridden an RT/LT BMW-Brick before, throw out all your preconceived notions, give it some miles to get accustomed. These are old-fashioned enough bikes to need a bit of planning in your ride. They don't flatter those who alter their line or speed mid-bend. Smooth is the key to getting the maximum from them and when you do get it right not only are they good fun but they can deceive lesser riders/machines.

Thanks for the replies.

I had a new 8 valve K100RS for a couple of years and it proved very reliable except for 3 new rear shocks in 64k miles. The dealer loaned me a KRT for a day whilst the RS was being serviced and I went for a 600 mile ride on it. I remember really liking it and wondering if I should have bought the RT instead of the RS.

I just fancy a big tourer at the moment and they do seem to be reasonable value for money.

k1100lt

I had four of em one after the other and loved them all.Great mile munchers and soooooooooooo comfy.Reliability ? can honestly say no serious probs at all.I,d have another at the drop of a hat but that would mean losing the gs and thats not an option.

Well, didn't buy that one. I'd even forgotten that I'd posted this thread nearly 8 years ago. I have however, bought a 1998 K1100LT. Needs some cosmetic TLC and a better seat but otherwise seems good. Picking it up on Saturday.

Reality you can rely on...
    Quote Originally Posted by ChasF View Post
    Well, didn't buy that one. I'd even forgotten that I'd posted this thread nearly 8 years ago. I have however, bought a 1998 K1100LT. Needs some cosmetic TLC and a better seat but otherwise seems good. Picking it up on Saturday.
    They are superbly built bikes, and great tourers...

BMW K1100LT (1995).

Harley FXST (1989).

My Photos

More Photos

'What I'm out for is a good time,

All the rest is propaganda!'