Small RDS Radio ??

Podger

What I want is a small "Walkman" size , Radio with RDS that I can either mount on my bike , or in my pocket and listen to, through helmet earphones.
Sony used to do one (circa £40), but it does not appear in their Catalogue now .......for me personally RDS is the most important feature to stop constant re-tunes.

Anyone got suggestions , along with price, supplier, or web link ??:p

I'll check it out !

whatton63 said:

Thanks for the link to Sony SRF-M48RDS (Walkman),but I thought the part number was familiar , I've checked out and it's been discontinued and none of the newer offering's from Sony have RDF.......any other suggestions, other makes from anyone ??...

The Sony RDS model, I seem to recall, had to have a button pressed to refresh the RDS rather than updating on the fly. Most of the sony personal radios are stereo only which can lead to a lot of hissing in marginal reception areas. The Roberts radio lifetime personal radio range has good quality radio, no RDS though, that have a mono/stereo switch. I find that mono is good enough for radio 4.

It might be usefull to find out if your area is covered by digital radio broadcasts. Check here to see if your post code area is covered and if it is consider a portable digital set. Most of the portables also have FM for those times when you go out of digital coverage. The bonus is the extended choice of stations and, when in range, the quality that comes through.

Regards
Andy80f

Found something suitable !!

Andy80F said:
It might be usefull to find out if your area is covered by digital radio broadcasts. Check here to see if your post code area is covered and if it is consider a portable digital set. Most of the portables also have FM for those times when you go out of digital coverage. The bonus is the extended choice of stations and, when in range, the quality that comes through.
Andy, Thanks for the information, and digital is the going to be the way forward without a doubt.Looking at the information and reports the Perstel DR101 seems to be the way forward, certainly for me.Stocked by Curry's, Comet, and Dixons, at circa £129.00......I thought I found one cheaper on the Web at £99.00 , but when you add on the extra's there's nothing in it.

The link to the DR101 is here is below:

http://www.perstel.co.uk/

Once again thanks ............off to the shops 2morrow !!
:p :p :p

I don't have a personal digital radio myself but looked into them recently, ending up with a portable (Roberts RD3) that I can take into work and out to the garage etc without having to wear headphones. I will end up getting one for the bike though as the BBC do not terestially broadcast BBC6, for music, & BBC7, for drama, comedy, quizes etc.

your choice of the Perstel does get the best reviews and it does seem robust.

Regards
Andy80F

Back
Top Bottom