Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Siberian Extreme

Some more appetisers

Your trip looks stunning. Good work
    How is the bike coping?

Quote Originally Posted by aspad View Post
    Your trip looks stunning. Good work
    How is the bike coping?
    Bike is awesome. BMW really should consider making a factory based touring version of the X-Challenge. Its a great platform. The engine is the strongest point ... faultless. Followed by the weight. Its a very light touring bike. Ground clearance is awesome.

The mods such as the front fairing, extra fuel tank, super suspension are all essential to the standard bike, but the platform and the engine are as good as anything out there.

If I could change one thing, it would be the front brakes ... they are built for the dirt bike that the X-Challenge starts off as, and I would prefer a second front disc.

Only thing I have really struggled with has been luggage systems. I have good racks built up, but lack the right bags. The bicycle bags (about 22 litres each) I started with do not have a strong enough mounting mechanism and the ortlieb motorcycle panniers (about 20 litres each) are too small to replace them. An ideal compromise would be a pair of 30 litre custom made bags and then the back bag is just tent and sleeping bag.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I'm enjoying following the blog and following the progress, I've dropped the footage of you leaving Touratech to Nick if you need any copies of files, clips etc. please request it from him and he'll sort it out I'm sure.

When are you meeting up with Mac?

all the best from darkest surrey.

regards

Lo

Erik RS

Wink Luggage problems?

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Only thing I have really struggled with has been luggage systems.
    The solution to your problems :

Courtesy of tychoendo at ADVrider

ah yeah thanks.

No further comment

Quote Originally Posted by Erik RS View Post
    The solution to your problems :

Courtesy of tychoendo at ADVrider
    You would not believe the sidecars we saw this afternoon ... stay tuned for fotos.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Fantastic Pics and RR.

What camera are you using?

Never knowingly understood Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Great read, great piccies.... respect

Adventure.GS
    Tours, training or custom made earplugs ... it's all here.

"If you want the rainbow then you have to put up with a little rain" Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky View Post
    Fantastic Pics and RR.

What camera are you using?
    D90 ... relatively light as far as decent SLRs go

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The only good thing about being in a recession, is the fact that I have enough time to read reports like this. Otherwise it would stop me from working, and we know that's a bad thing, right?
    Enjoying it muchly.
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Quote Originally Posted by Lo-IQ View Post
    I'm enjoying following the blog and following the progress, I've dropped the footage of you leaving Touratech to Nick if you need any copies of files, clips etc. please request it from him and he'll sort it out I'm sure.

When are you meeting up with Mac?

all the best from darkest surrey.

regards

Lo
    Thanks mate ... will talk to The Plumbster when I get back

More pics for the far edges of Siberia

Erik RS
    Hi Walter,

Just read your update on your blog. Great adventure trip

Get yourself another battery quickly and as long you can't get one, try sealing the leaking one with plastic and spraying all the gear off with plenty of water as often as possible. That acid is bad medicine

Great images Walter, the Siberia I saw was really growing on me before we headed south to Mongolia and I'm envious of all those whose route allowed more time out there...next time maybe
    KEA

Thanks Tim ... just reached Magadan ... trying to work out how to get out of here now!

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast