Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Siberian Extreme

Road of Bones pics

The Russians havent called it the road of bones for decades, but itt seems popular in the west ... so i will stick with the western populist name.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    nice pictures I've so got the horn for Russia....

hmmm perhaps that was something i should'nt have shared in that manner...

You got through the road of bones with no issues like the road been falling into rivers and things in places?
    (Ie LWR)

Nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by alex-reed View Post
    You got through the road of bones with no issues like the road been falling into rivers and things in places?
    (Ie LWR)

Nice pictures.
    Well the road is constantly evolving ... bits fall into disrepair and older bits become subject to upgrading.. The route that was done in 2004 is impossible now, and the route we took now was impossible in 2004.

The cool thing is a 67 year old from west London accompanied me and did the entire road in 3.5 days ... without hurting his shoulder and climbing on the back of a lorry for half of the road.

We did have 7 flat tyres tho!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cole View Post
    Well the road is constantly evolving ... bits fall into disrepair and older bits become subject to upgrading.. The route that was done in 2004 is impossible now, and the route we took now was impossible in 2004.

The cool thing is a 67 year old from west London accompanied me and did the entire road in 3.5 days ... without hurting his shoulder and climbing on the back of a lorry for half of the road.

We did have 7 flat tyres tho!!
    Hah! 67 years young, sounds like . Good on him, that's some motivation to keep my going.. Just shows that boorman is not man enough.

Glad to hear about the road constantly updating, as I my quick skims had led me to believe something different. But talking from the horses mouth, I have to believe you!

Going to start following your story, good luck with it all. Thanks for the response too,

Quote Originally Posted by Timolgra View Post
    Great images Walter, the Siberia I saw was really growing on me before we headed south to Mongolia and I'm envious of all those whose route allowed more time out there...next time maybe
    Are you back home now? or Istanbul ??

Nice but unfortunate husband.
    I have just spent the past few days catching up on your blog Walter and am enjoying your narrative very much. What an epic ride.

Happy Birthday for today by the way.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan1150 View Post
    Happy Birthday for today by the way.

+1

+2 all the best mate... even though you are fast approaching Friday the 31st over there on the Pacific coast

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks

Cheers for the good wishes and kind words.

We are in Khabarovsk now, just psyching ourselves up for the next stage ... and doing all the bike maintenance we needed to do since Mirny.

Had some feedback that the website is hard to follow for those reading back up on the project. ... I know its hard set up the way it is for someone just reading the whole lot from the start, but for the regulars who have followed from the start, they need to see the latest post at the front of the pile. So naturally its all in backwards order.

Will edit it all properly and put it all in order once the whole project is done.

Cole,

When you get home and at your leisure I too would like a full size copy of the picture Digga asked about if at all possible please. I did download the double size one but it's still a bit blurry at 1680 x 1050

I think that's one of the all time great biking pictures

Hi, Cole,

have just returned from Baikal - saw your sticker in Khujir, it's still there
    Could not help adding one more

Are you back home now? or Istanbul ??
    Got home a couple of days ago, very strange, feel like servicing the bike and heading off again!
    KEA

Quote Originally Posted by easyman05 View Post
    Hi, Cole,

have just returned from Baikal - saw your sticker in Khujir, it's still there
    Could not help adding one more
    It wasnt easy getting it up there ... its about 10 feet off the ground that sign!

Hope you struggled as much as I did to 'mark' the sign.! (high jumping in bike boots is not easy!

It wasnt easy getting it up there ... its about 10 feet off the ground that sign!

Hope you struggled as much as I did to 'mark' the sign.! (high jumping in bike boots is not easy!
    well, I just lifted the wifey and she put the sticker on
    Took 15 seconds - you know those Russian "asimmetric responce thangy"

Smile

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

I've got my sticker in hand ready to add it- but I can't find Khujir on the map I scrounged off Timolgra in Tajikistan - in fact it's a 1:8 000 000 scale so there's not a lot of detail and also it shows rail tracks not roads.

I think I might have a few problems.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast