Riveting

You may want to think about using a washer on the inside, it will help to spread the load. if the material being riveted is soft the rivet could pull through during the squeezing process. The washer will need a hole the same size as the rivet diameter.

If possible get some practice in using the same materials as the final job. When riveting plastic, some Pop rivet / Gun combinations exert too much clamping force and actually crack the plastic item you're trying to attach - Ref. Plastic Mini wheel arch extensions a long time ago :(

The bigger the rivet, the harder you have to squeeze the gun - to state the bleedin' obvious. And it doesn't take too many rivets to make you wish you had a power gun.

Enjoy :thumb2

Easier way, use stainless nuts and bolts. Hardest bit is then getting the old bits off.

When the panniers came out BM / TT both said contact each other for the bits. Because I kept on asking BM in Germany, = was an awkward sod, and they eventually started selling the corners.

Talk about over complicated. K.I.S.S. should be every Engineerins Moto

I know this is not what you asked about.
But its a Lot simpler , A Lot less Hassle , and will Give a Better Lookin End result. If Possible Get A4 stainless. M4/M5 Fasterners with Nylok Nuts.
Job Done Excellent Result. It will be the strongest part of your Panniers.

Attachments

• Dome head.JPG
    Dome head.JPG
    43.1 KB · Views: 110
Give a Better Lookin End result

But only if you replace the whole feckin' lot. Since it's only a couple of reinforcements needing replaced, using rivets only slightly different in appearance to the originals makes more sense.

IMHO, of course. YMMV...

yep for simplicity i would also use the domed bolts as its far easier and the resulting end product will be nicer if you dont have access to the correct tooling for domed rivets.

And if you need to replace the corner / latch etc another time.

I know which I'd rather use. 5 mins job, including 4 mins for a cuppa, or a couple of hours with the rivet :mmmm

Back
Top Bottom