3M Scotchlite reflective sheeting?

• Thread starter Deleted account W
  • Start date
Ok, now that's all sorted out, Who want's some black sticky bits for the bike, that turn to white sticky bits at night. I'm seeing my man this week, and I'll get some prices off him. I'll say a copper on the web site said it was alright:D

Vern said:
Ok, now that's all sorted out, Who want's some black sticky bits for the bike, that turn to white sticky bits at night. I'm seeing my man this week, and I'll get some prices off him. I'll say a copper on the web site said it was alright:D

Vern...while you're at it would you mind asking how close they can come to the silver varient of the panniers ya doing for me please??

Cheers

Bill

Re: Legality

oblertone said:

Just a further thought, my black jacket has white scotchlite reflective seams, is that illegal too ?

Good point, my jackets the same, and the misses just got a pair of Textile trousers with reflective material on the back of the legs

~Stef~

Stef,
the regulation are different for things on the person rather than the vehicle. The little red flashing LEDs that push bike riders use are illegal if fitted to the bike, but not when worn on the person.

Vern,
I'm interested too!

Re: Reflective sheet

hops said:
I've done a quick bit of 'digging' on this subject and it appears that any reflective material on the back must reflect red light only.

I'm sure that you're correct about the legislation, but nearly all material reflects some light - even my back tyre is reflective! If it wasn't, you wouldn't be able to see it at all.

I'd like to see the legal arguments against black 'reflective' stuff.

:confused:

Greg

Vern

Yes please, a sheet or two of A4 size would be good.

Andrew

Yes, yes and yes.

I've been looking into this for ages and should have known to look here first.

Prices / colours available would be really helpful.

It's surprising how few people seem to stock reflective stuff and how expensive it can be. I would have thought we would be encouraged to use it...

just got some orange/red strips (as on the back of police bikes) from Bikeseen. He kindly threw in some red/orange stips as well for free!!! quite impressed with them and does make me feel better in the dark.

Yep

I am interested in some reflective sheet.

How much and what size? A4 x 2?

Steve

Just checked out my request for info on this stuff after a work induced overnight trip to Scouse land.

Seem's to have generated a bit of interest.

I'm prepared to risk being pulled for this stuff as well, and would rather place an order with Vern, than buy from an unknown firm.

Vern, could you let me/us know what the damage would be for 2 x A4 sheets. Seems like you could have found an un-tapped outlet for this stuff.

Cheers,
Kev:)

I think the legality issue is (usual disclaimer, info based on experience 19 yrs ago) that any reflector is treated the same as a light. Therefore, in theory, a white reflector to the rear, or a red one to the front would be technically illegal. Whereas there is no guarantee you won't meet a copper who:

1. Knows this AND
2. Hasn't had it for months & therefore is in such a bad mood that he'd book you for it...

I think it's pretty unlikely. The correct stance 'I'm sorry, I didn't realise, I'll take it off when I get home' should solve any zero-tolerance wannabees (along with 'I'll tell you who's supplying it to everyone, his name's Vern, and he lives...':D).

I had the 'Hindsight' stuff on the back of my Jesse panniers for a year with no problem - I expect the copper who bought them from me has still got them fitted :D

Mike:)

Now here's an idea.....
How about cutting this stuff into the exact right size to cover the letters and numbers on your number plate - also the black surround on the plate - then when you get flashed it would (maybe) be a white blur and not legible [ copyright and patent pending ] :D Anyone fancy trying it out under laboratory conditions ??

Paul...we need a new emoticon......'conspiracy to pervert the course of justice' type character.......

Seems to be needed a lot recently :D

It's been done Gecko, and so were the people who did it :D

You can buy the kits pictured at the beginnig of this thread here at just $25 a set. Even allowing for postage to the UK, I think this is fairly cheap at the current exchange rate.

HTH,

Bloody hellfire

I'll ask for the full spec tomorrow then, colours, shapes, sizes, coloured shapes and sizes, sized coloured shapes. He's got a reeeeeeel trick cutter printer, so you can have what you like really. Who wants to look like a copper then, never get pulled I bet:D

Reflective - food for thought

As i must be a B*W motorcyclist as opposed to a biker, i have reflective material all over the back of my bike. Black on the black bits of the panniers and yellow on the mandarin colour-coded pannier lids. Shows up a treat in the dark and next to invisible during the day.

Was going down to Cornwall at 9pm on the A30 at 90mph (must have temporarily over-looked the speed) and had an unmarked VOLVO police car follow me for a bit, then overtake me flash his/her discrete blues at me 3 or 4 times and drive off. Still not sure if it was a "you're speeding, so slow down!" warning, or a "you look like a police bike so i'll say hello" 'wave' (even though i have no desire to immitate a police bike). Either way he/she didn't nick me or pull me (both of which are 'nice').

Always had some sort of additional lighting/reflective on the back of bikes and never yet had any 'interest' from police, including meeting two bike cops on the Isle of Lewis whilst waiting for the ferry, who had a good look all over the bike. No problem.

Johnieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Vern - yes please. I'll have a sheet of this wierd stuff.

Regarding number plates, this stuff is exactly what those "camera-shy" number plate letters are made from. However, they dont work very well as the reflective index (is that right) of the black letters isn't exactly the same as the yellow background so at the distance most cameras work from, the letters are discernable. This can clearly be seen in the pic below:

TobersColour256.jpg

It is for this reason that the oiks who sell these plates at bike shows let you take pics from 2-5 meters away. Any further and they dont work!

Back
Top Bottom