Dr & Mrs J's Tour of Spain - Bilbao to Conil

Light intermittent rain and dickie clutch notwithstanding, we had a good easy run to Bilbao. We're staying at the Lopez De Haro which is a very plush five star establishment. But €19.00 to park two bikes in the garage overnight? In one space?

Oh well. The architecture here is something else. Here's Puente Zubizuri, the pedestrian bridge over the Ria de Bilbao...

Attachments

• Spain 2009 235.JPG
    Spain 2009 235.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 184
...and the awesome Guggenheim Museum.

We loved the spider sculpture...

Attachments

• Spain 2009 277.JPG
    Spain 2009 277.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 181
  • Spain 2009 225.jpg
    Spain 2009 225.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 182
...and we came across these sculptures on Paseo Campo Volentin...

Attachments

• Spain 2009 237.jpg
    Spain 2009 237.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 182
...and finally, the rather beautiful and ornate street lights on the Puente del Ayuntamiento.

Tomorrow, we set sail for Portsmouth, arriving there on Saturday late afternoon and should arrive home on Sunday after another overnight stop in Birmingham.

It's been a blast, all of it. Great fun, though sometimes tiring and trying, but isn't that what touring's all about? Totally worth every penny spent, and doing it with Mrs J has been fantastic.

Attachments

• Spain 2009 238.JPG
    Spain 2009 238.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 182
Excellent report
:clap

Oh, and finally thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread with words of appreciation or encouragement or advice about stuff. It's been hugely appreciated, so thanks. I'll try and remember the Franco and the goat joke too!

What I've tried to get across is that Mrs J and I aren't the most experienced bikers, and haven't been doing this for years. Mrs J is especially nervous on her bike at times, even now. But what I have tried to convey is that two relative newcomers to motorcycling can have a hugely rewarding experience touring. The planning has been the key here. We've used everything we packed except the things we never wanted to use like the puncture repair stuff. We never felt like we'd forgotten anything vital.

The Garmin Zumo and the Scala Q2 bike to bike comms were almost essential, making the trip so very much easier, working faultlessly for the 2,000 miles and were especially useful in helping us both navigate to the hotels in the town centres. The Q2 worked well all day every day, in both heavy rain and the 30°C heat of Southern Spain, and permitted constant and easy chat between us both.

And finally. Touring with your mates is great. I toured Scotland with Alby last year and had a fantastic time. But touring with the missus is just brilliant, it just adds a whole different dimension to the experience.

Cheers

J

Fantastic report Jonathon,
I can't wait until Joanne and i are off on our adventures on our own bikes.
You and Mrs J are an inspiration.Hope you have many more great "Adventures"

Steve

Take it easy on the last stretch Jonothan and Mrs J...
Look out for a fat tosser in a Shogun with Trailer on Sunday :) should be coming back from Scotland ourselves then :thumb2

Well done,you two :thumb2

Brilliant report and great photos throughout.

Really pleased you both enjoyed yourselves so much. :beerjug:

So then.........where next ??? :augie

Excellent really enjoyed your ride reports. Me and Mrs are off to Our Europe tour in July (Croatia '09) can't wait. Sue has her own 1150 Rockster and really enjoys riding it!!
Have a safe trip home.
Seamus.

Arrived home...

...all in one piece and shiny side up.

Last few pictures you may enjoy.

Here's myself (minus the Hi-Viz vest, you might care to note) on P&Os Pride Of Bilbao about to sail for Portsmouth. Pride Of Bilbao? Pride Of Shite, more like. Not that I'm a snob or anything, but the Foxy Bingo Mini Cruise was aboard for the sailing home, which made for an interesting demographic of passengers on the return sailing. Add into that a very rough crossing across the Bay of Biscay, and Mrs J feeling a bit on the old queasy side, and a cabin that was grubby in spite of the high cost, and a toilet that was temperamental to say the least and all I can say is they need to upgrade the ship.

All Mrs J wanted was a cup of tea and a slice or two of lightly buttered toast at about 9.30pm that night, what with her feeling Uncle Dick and the ship pitching and rolling like Thunder Mountain at Disney World. Could I get her that? Could I hell as like. Come on, P&O, it wasn't a big ask. Was it? Four restaurants and no-one could oblige.

But a stonking breakfast in the Langan's Brasserie restaurant the following morning helped a bit.

Met some nice bikers on the return crossing, including Tanya, a 30-something lawyer on her yellow Ducati returning from a solo tour (go girl!), and a couple of lads in their 20s on Kawasaki sports bikes who were great fun.

Attachments

• Spain 2009 (E) 155.JPG
    Spain 2009 (E) 155.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 100
Arrival in Portsmouth. Here's HMS Warrior and that big tall sail like building, dunno what it's called but it looks good...

Attachments

• Spain 2009 (J) 143.JPG
    Spain 2009 (J) 143.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 100
  • Spain 2009 (J) 138.JPG
    Spain 2009 (J) 138.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 100
Final Picture

We disembarked at 6.00pm and rode up to stay with my Dad in Birmingham before riding home today.

Here we are, having filled up on the A34 just before heading North on the M40.

Today was pouring with very heavy rain all the way to Derby but the Scala Q2 and the Garmin weren't in the slightest bit fazed by the inclement weather. Mrs J was, however, and was pleased to get home and get a hot bath to warm herself up.

Would we do it again?

Too bloody right we would!

Might help if I posted the photo.

I know, I know, it's just two bikes at a petrol station. But they're our bikes and we are so proud of them!

Attachments

• Spain 2009 (J) 149.jpg
    Spain 2009 (J) 149.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 125
Nice one...welcome home guys.:thumb2

How about starting a new Thread?

Called.... 'Show us the pile of utility bills,junk mail and free papers that you come home to?' :D :D

Back
Top Bottom