***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Switched power - The easy way

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Switched power - The easy way

Lots of people ask for any easy way to get switched power on a 1200GS, for powering an Autocom, Centec fuse box or anything similar. Following assorted threads on the internet I tripped over this little beauty:

It is a BuMW splitter. It clips, very simply, behind the standard auxillary power socket (nearside, beneath the seat) on a 1200 GS. I helped ChasMill of this parish install one yesterday.

METHOD

(1) Unclip the power lead plug from the rear of the auxiliary plug. The catch is disengaged by pressing the sides of the plug.

(2) Clip the splitter into the rear of the auxiliary socket.

(3) Clip the power lead into one of the two sockets of the splitter.

BINGO! Power is flowing back into the auxiliary socket, via the splitter. You have now have one spare power outlet available and you know how it slots together.

NOW THE DIY BIT.

(a) Unclip the splitter.

(b) Like the splitter in the picture, ChasMill's splitter came with the leads bound together with tape. Free them. Also remove BuMW's labels, they only get in the way.

(b) Neatly cut off one of the spare sockets, right against the plug, leaving yourself plenty of wire. You can undo the plug itself by simply levering the retaining lugs away with a fine blade screwdriver, if you want to.

(c) Strip back about 3/4 of an inch of the plastic sheath, exposing the bare wires.

(d) The red and white wire is positive (+). The brown wire is negative (-).

(e) Solder suitable lengths of wire to extend the leads. Shrink wrap for good measure.

(f) Here is an excellent guide how to solder wires neatly:

Soldering

And an excellent guide on joining wires and heatshrinking:

Join and heatshrink

(g) Connect the extended power lead to whatever device you wish to power. In ChasMill's case it was a Centec fuse box.

(h) Reinstall the splitter (see 1, 2 and 3 above).

(i) Job done. The splitter is a BuMW part, so it fits together perfectly. No need to worry about upsetting the Canbus. No need to cut into any of the bike's wires at all. No need for nasty clips, joins and sticky tape. Very easy to remove or replace if you have a problem, returning the bike to standard takes two minutes.

TINTS AND HIPS:

As the splitter simply taps into the bike's switched auxiliary socket it will still be limited to a maximum draw of 5 amps.

Make the length of the extended leads longer than you will need them. It is definitely easier to cut wire off later, than to desolder and start again.

ChasMill ordered the splitter from SLM. I think it arived on his doorstep within 48 hours. The parts bloke had never heard of anyone ordering one before.

As it's a standard BuMW part it should be easy to order from any BuMW motorbike or car dealership.

Great article Wapping lets hope people read it. But before anyone asks, cos they will, do you have the parts number to add to your article?
    2006 Yellow R1200 GSA

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunT279 View Post
    Great article Wapping lets hope people read it. But before anyone asks, cos they will, do you have the parts number to add to your article?
    I guess it's one (or more) of the numbers shown in the picture?

That looks like a dodgy answer but it's not meant to be.

ChasMill ordered it, from the picture I had sent to him earlier in the week. I will check with Charlie and post up if it's anything different.

I've used this plug lead on my bike for the last 2 years, its the ideal way to power accessories such as your Autocom ensuring it will be turned off when you switch off the bike, its also auto fused by the bike so you don't need an additional in line fuse, recommended
    Two wheels > Gazelle Orange C7 Electric
    Four wheels > MX5 2.0 RF

Quote Originally Posted by ebbo View Post
    its also auto fused by the bike so you don't need an additional in line fuse,
    That's true.

Centecs are popular (and convenient) but the fuses are not needed. You could wire it just as easily to a simple block distribution board and let the Canbus look after the safety side.

Morning All,

What fantastic weather shame my foot is in plaster, anyway I have an 08/09 ADV and BMW changed the connector design on the wiring from my 04 GS. I have just got a similar splitter although to long (they don't do a short one) so needs to be cut down.
    Numbers on the packet are:
    AD01 2602A
    61 12 7 712 581

On the cable its self:
    K25 07D,
    KSUA
    403562 02
    7 712 581-01
    E523SW
    7 712 580
    E523SW/a
    Apparently its the cable BMW us when adding an addition power socket.
    Cheers and sake riding to you all.

Sorry new to all this have not worked out how to add a photo yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    anyway I have an 08/09 ADV and BMW changed the connector design on the wiring from my 04 GS. I have just got a similar splitter although to long (they don't do a short one) so needs to be cut down.

Thanks for that.

A good heads up that the sockets may / do differ on later models but that a similar lead is available.

I will check the part number(s) with BuMW.

I have sent you a PM. If you could flick me an email with the picture attached I will lob it up for you.

Fat Bikers Bounce Better Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    The part number is 61132316621 and mine cost me a whopping £13.50 plus postage.

My bike is an 04 model so, as said before, this might not fit later models.
    Arrogant Patronising English scum living the dream ...

OK, thank you.

That looks like:

Pre 08 Models: Part no. 61 13 2 316 621 - as per ChasMill

Post 08 Models: Part no. 61 12 7 712 581 - as per Baron

Do though check.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    That's true.

Centecs are popular (and convenient) but the fuses are not needed. You could wire it just as easily to a simple block distribution board and let the Canbus look after the safety side.
    You're right in principle, but not in practice if you want to draw more than 5 amps (I think it's 5). A chocolate block will be fine for an autocom alone, but less good for supplying power to 70 watts of aux lighting and a heated vest.

Your splitter is more useful than you give it credit for!

Darren

OK, thank you.

That looks like:

Pre 08 Models: Part no. 61 13 2 316 621 - as per ChasMill

Post 08 Models: Part no. 61 12 7 712 581 - as per Baron

Do though check.
    I think the change over was earlier as my 54 reg 1200 GS could use the oilhead splitter, but the 07 GSA couldn't

Quote Originally Posted by dazlewis View Post
    You're right in principle, but not in practice if you want to draw more than 5 amps (I think it's 5). A chocolate block will be fine for an autocom alone, but less good for supplying power to 70 watts of aux lighting and a heated vest.

Your splitter is more useful than you give it credit for!

Darren

I did point out that the splitter and a simple block would be subject to the five amp limit, powered as it is from the basic aux. socket's supply. Item one on Tints and Hips.

It is useful - I can only hope - for those bods who worry about powering simple devices, dispensing with their fears over chopping into loom wires.

I will post up a simple plan of how to mix in relays etc.

Quote Originally Posted by John Armstrong View Post
    I think the change over was earlier as my 54 reg 1200 GS could use the oilhead splitter, but the 07 GSA couldn't
    Thanks for that note.

So everyone who wants to do the splits: Check the part number with BUMW.

Toubab Click here to find out how to Subscribe

I will post up a simple plan of how to mix in relays etc.
    Was just thinking that......it would be very easy to wire up a Centec fuse box after a relay switched by this splitter wire......then you'd have an ignition switched aux fuse box without the 5a limitation
    सत्यमेव जयते

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Was just thinking that......it would be very easy to wire up a Centec fuse box after a relay switched by this splitter wire......then you'd have an ignition switched aux fuse box without the 5a limitation
    Indeedy, indeedy.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Quote Originally Posted by Baron View Post
    Morning All,

I have an 08/09 ADV and BMW changed the connector design on the wiring from my 04 GS. I have just got a similar splitter although to long (they don't do a short one) so needs to be cut down.
    Numbers on the packet are:
    AD01 2602A
    61 12 7 712 581

On the cable its self:
    K25 07D,
    KSUA
    403562 02
    7 712 581-01
    E523SW
    7 712 580
    E523SW/a
    Apparently its the cable BMW us when adding an addition power socket.
    Cheers and sake riding to you all.

Here is the Baron's lead in all its glory.

He tells me the lead is over a meter long....

The sockets look totally different, too.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast