***Please Note*** you can not create threads directly in this section. This section is made up of threads that have been moved here from other areas of the site
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switched power - The easy way

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    I will post up a simple plan of how to mix in relays etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Was just thinking that......it would be very easy to wire up a Centec fuse box after a relay switched by this splitter wire......then you'd have an ignition switched aux fuse box without the 5a limitation
    Here you are everyone, courtesy of Gunsmoke's website. He uses a 12 volt terminal block (Red positive + and Black negative -) which is itself unfused, relying on the Canbus to make the fuse for him. You could use a Centec fuse box just as well.

I will also take the liberty of repeating Gunsmoke's advice on the relays:

........ is the relay that switches power to the terminal blocks. I had a small Bosch component (Bosch part no. 0 332 011 007) I which is very small as relays go. I chose to label the wires going to the relay so that I could figure out what went where later. The relay pin layout and schematic are shown below.

As shown in the schematic, the leads that used to connect to the auxiliary power socket now connect to pins 1 and 2 on the relay. The fused power lead from the auxiliary power socket itself connects to pin 3, with a wire running from pin 5 going to the 12 V terminal strip.

Here is a link to some really good information on installing relays, again prompted by Gunsmoke (to whom I remain endebted etc. etc. etc,)
    Relays You will notice that the site prompts you to take power from the diagnostic plug. This makes it complicated in my opinion and brings people back to the fear (quite understandable) of doing something irreversible to damage their bike. Using a splitter from the aux. socket avoids this concern completely, simply as it leaves all the bike's loom wiring completely untouched and is completely reversible in just two minutes, I promise.

If anyone is nervous of relays, don't be. Just think of them as automatic switches, that only turn on (by magic) when conditions are right. Just take a bit of time working out which pin is which and all will be well. Any good High Street auto-electrical shop will tell you, for sure.

Here is a link to how relays work: It's (not quite) magic

I hope the whole thread is useful and will give anyone the confidence to give it a go.

PS For what it's worth I prefer the BlueSea fuse boxes to Centec's. BlueSea Their Terminal blocks are neat, too http://bluesea.com/category/9/36/productline/190

Quote Originally Posted by Fanum View Post
    Was just thinking that......it would be very easy to wire up a Centec fuse box after a relay switched by this splitter wire......then you'd have an ignition switched aux fuse box without the 5a limitation
    And perhaps the orgone accumulator, connected to the electrakaticaky via the beeparb statydoop would work too.

# C2, T1 ,T3 & T4 = Halo Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    This guy has a neat site for electrical stuff.

Small neat relays and the like...fairly quick postage from Japan as well.

Seems hes a Canadian (Beaver) living in Japan (Eastern)

Poise - The art of raising an eyebrow - not the roof.

bolekos

Part for the R1150GS ??

I hope the thread is still active, cause you people seam to have good knowledge of this issue.

Is there a similar accessory (if yes what it the part number and where from it can be bought) availbale for the R1150GS?

I am in need of a solution to power my EVO-2 communication system and still trying to find the best way to have it done.

Cheers!

Unhappy

And I was just quoted £36.. for a splitter to fit an '08 model. Still seems the neatest way tho'. Dave

I have an '08 GSA and fitted the BMW power socket to the 'beak' but can't work out where the power cable connects to the bikes wiring loom.

Its the same lead Baron has ( about a meter long ).

Does anyone know if I can just plug it into a socket on the bike I haven't found or do I need to do a mod of some kind ?

Any advice appreciated.

Chris.
    Ploughing on regardless.......

Campsite Clouseau

www.warpspeedadvanced.com

Quote Originally Posted by phooey View Post
    I have an '08 GSA and fitted the BMW power socket to the 'beak' but can't work out where the power cable connects to the bikes wiring loom.

Its the same lead Baron has ( about a meter long ).

Does anyone know if I can just plug it into a socket on the bike I haven't found or do I need to do a mod of some kind ?

Any advice appreciated.

Chris.
    I do not have an 08 bike but I assume it plugs into the auxiliary socket that is located on the nearside, under the seat?

If so.

Disconnect the existing aux socket's supply. Plug in the extension lead. Reconnect the aux socket's supply and run the 1m of lead forward to the socket on the beak.

dai12gsse
    Thanks for this thread....

I picked up my splitter lead from riders of Cardiff yesterday (£23 inc vat) for my 2009 gs se.

I'm fitting a starcom intercom to the tool tray under the seat and this lead will enable me to do a neat install job and store the power wire under the tray (which is where the aux socket is located).

The lead is a tad long so i'll be cutting/slodering it to suit but better to have too much than too little :-)

Quote Originally Posted by dai12gsse View Post
    Thanks for this thread....

I picked up my splitter lead from riders of Cardiff yesterday (£23 inc vat) for my 2009 gs se.

I'm fitting a starcom intercom to the tool tray under the seat and this lead will enable me to do a neat install job and store the power wire under the tray (which is where the aux socket is located).

The lead is a tad long so i'll be cutting/slodering it to suit but better to have too much than too little :-)

Excellent

Measure twice, cut once, is a good tip when cutting the extension lead. Of course it's easy to trim it again if it's still too long. Less easy to stick an inch back on, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Wapping View Post
    I do not have an 08 bike but I assume it plugs into the auxiliary socket that is located on the nearside, under the seat?

If so.

Disconnect the existing aux socket's supply. Plug in the extension lead. Reconnect the aux socket's supply and run the 1m of lead forward to the socket on the beak.
    That's the one - pulled the tool tray out and felt a bit thick for posting this - it was easier than filling up
    Ploughing on regardless.......

Campsite Clouseau

www.warpspeedadvanced.com

Sultan of Bling... Click here to find out how to Subscribe

Question Fuse question

I'm not bothered about switched power - just want to wire in my Centech direct to the battery for GPS and heated clothing (more than 5 amps). It recommemds using an in-line fuse but what ampage fuse should I use?

The quick ones out there will have guessed that I am not very knowledgeable about electrics....

or mechanics....

or DIY (at least, according to SWMBO)

Sorry! At least I keep sparks and spanner monkeys in employment!
    "..........what a Long Strange Trip it's been."

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn B View Post
    I'm not bothered about switched power - just want to wire in my Centech direct to the battery for GPS and heated clothing (more than 5 amps). It recommemds using an in-line fuse but what ampage fuse should I use?

The quick ones out there will have guessed that I am not very knowledgeable about electrics....

or mechanics....

or DIY (at least, according to SWMBO)

Sorry! At least I keep sparks and spanner monkeys in employment!
    +1

This looks very good.... Aerostich PDM60

It would do away with bulkyish fuse blocks and the like.

http://www.aerostich.com/pressroom/d...713_PDM60.html

A very nice write up on one installed on a 1600GT, too:

http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-...r-glendas.html

Just FYI

Post 08 Models: Part no. 61 12 7 712 581

is £28.50 incl postage from Vines...

Updated link to PDM60 as it's not too easy to find!!

http://www.aerostich.com/review/prod.../category/204/

Looks a fun project this one!

But including postage it comes in a $200!! which is a bit much

The Beaver Power thing is looking good again!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast