Thread: Road Run details

Nice but unfortunate husband.

Road Run details

The road ride will be leaving from the Palm Bush filling station just one mile outside Kesh. I have attached a waypoint below, but will see you all on Friday evening and explain where to find the station.

The start time for the RR is 10am, so we would appreciate it if you are all there with full tanks and empty bladders by then.

The ride will be 170 miles but a top-up is available en-route for any who might need it.

You will need some Euro for the lunch stop.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Aidan1150 View Post
    You will need some Euro for the lunch stop.
    perhaps a flask and a mars bar then

Quote Originally Posted by Mort View Post
    perhaps a flask and a mars bar then
    They will most likely take sterling at the lunch stop Rob, but I can't say what exchange rate they will offer.
    There are two opinions of the GS. There are those who have ridden one who think its fantastic and there are those who haven't who know its crap.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    How about a grid reference for us non sat nav people (start point) - or even a hint what road it is on .... for those of us who you won't see on Friday night !!

From the hotel in Kesh, cross over the river and follow the road for Pettigo. The filling station is 1 mile outside the village on the right.

Ta for quick response ... Just head for Mervyn Johnston's garage and stop 1 mile outside Kesh
    ... wee buns !

They will most likely take sterling at the lunch stop Rob
    I reckon they'll take any bit of plastic you care to wave at them. And you'll have the benefit of a 'standard' exchange rate
    Just 'cos you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you !

Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often.

Drop off system

Given that we will have a large number of bikes on the road run we will be using the drop off system. Here's how it works....................

One leader (me) is responsible for navigating and leading the route and one sweeper (Jockser) is responsible for ensuring the run stays together. These are the only two riders who keep their position in the group at all times.

At every junction I will signal for the rider immediately behind me to stop and mark the junction. All other riders pass the marker except the sweeper who signals that he/she is the last in the group. The marker then re-joins the group 2nd from the back.

Nobody other than the sweeper is allowed to ride last for any reason whatever. If you want to leave the group you should pull in to the side in a safe, visible position and wave other riders past. When the sweeper arrives he will stop and you can then inform him/her that you are leaving the group and why.

Please arrive with a full tank of petrol and an empty bladder.

There will be a fuel top-up for anyone who might need it.

If another rider stops for any reason you should keep going. The sweeper at the back of the group knows the route and will stop and assist. He will also contact the leader if required.

A roundabout should be marked by parking in a safe visible position on the exit.

When you are marking a junction make sure to park in a position that does not obstruct the other riders who are trying to negotiate it.

If necessary point in the direction that riders arriving at the junction should proceed in.

When you are the marker, wait for the sweeper to arrive even if this takes a long time. There may be a breakdown further back that you are unaware of. If you leave your position everyone behind will suffer and the run will fall apart.

If you're unsure whether you should mark a junction, then mark it anyway. Better to mark a junction that doesn't need marking than not to mark one that does.

Ride your own ride, don't allow yourself to be pulled or pushed along. Ride at your own pace

Enjoy the run.

Given that we will have a large number of bikes on the road run we will be using the drop off system. Here's how it works....................

One leader (me) is responsible for navigating and leading the route and one sweeper (Jockser) is responsible for ensuring the run stays together. These are the only two riders who keep their position in the group at all times.

At every junction I will signal for the rider immediately behind me to stop and mark the junction. All other riders pass the marker except the sweeper who signals that he/she is the last in the group. The marker then re-joins the group 2nd from the back.

Nobody other than the sweeper is allowed to ride last for any reason whatever. If you want to leave the group you should pull in to the side in a safe, visible position and wave other riders past. When the sweeper arrives he will stop and you can then inform him/her that you are leaving the group and why.

Please arrive with a full tank of petrol and an empty bladder.

There will be a fuel top-up for anyone who might need it.

If another rider stops for any reason you should keep going. The sweeper at the back of the group knows the route and will stop and assist. He will also contact the leader if required.

A roundabout should be marked by parking in a safe visible position on the exit.

When you are marking a junction make sure to park in a position that does not obstruct the other riders who are trying to negotiate it.

If necessary point in the direction that riders arriving at the junction should proceed in.

When you are the marker, wait for the sweeper to arrive even if this takes a long time. There may be a breakdown further back that you are unaware of. If you leave your position everyone behind will suffer and the run will fall apart.

If you're unsure whether you should mark a junction, then mark it anyway. Better to mark a junction that doesn't need marking than not to mark one that does.

Ride your own ride, don't allow yourself to be pulled or pushed along. Ride at your own pace

Enjoy the run.
    And remember that it's not required to remain single file throughout.

Ride to your own pace, and allow faster riders to pass if they would like to
    2008 R1200GSA
    "Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much" Oscar Wilde
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe"Albert Einstein
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage, to move in the opposite direction."Albert Einstein

South of the Border

Am I correct in assuming that you guys are stopping somewhere for lunch south of the border on Saturday, if so where and when. Can't read the route file for some reason.

TNX

M

We're stopping in a place just north of Drumcliffe church, on the N15. I can't for the life of me remember the name of it but you can't miss it - big carpark, all smart & unTosser-like with lots of glass.

We'll be coming at it from the Lissadell side & onto the N15 just north of the restaurant. We should be there about 13.00.

Edit : It could be 'O'Reillys' (but there again it might not be )

sorry to be missing this year's event. have a great one lads!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    It could be 'O'Reillys' (but there again it might not be )
    I was right -

It's not O'Reillys

It's Yeats Tavern

Have a good one gents. Off to the Mournes with the wee lad for the World Trials this year Sorry to miss it!
    What we need are clearly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    And remember that it's not required to remain single file throughout.

Ride to your own pace, and allow faster riders to pass if they would like to
    Pass out !!

Quote Originally Posted by Jockser View Post
    I can't for the life of me remember the name of it

Edit : It could be 'O'Reillys' (but there again it might not be )
    Old-timers disease
    "The Gods do not deduct from man's alloted span the hours spent in fly fishing"

Quote Originally Posted by R2D2 View Post
    Old-timers disease