Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: 04/05 Flange defect, take note

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
    Depends if it is a manufacturing or design fault and who did what. If the manufacturer did what they were told to it isn't their fault.
    It does look like an overly light weight part considering what it has to do for a living. Common sense would have made the flange bigger and taken some weight off the lardy wheels.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

I would agree with you Bendy but that was the whole ethos of the hexheads. Everything was done to a weight limit and some of it has bitten them. The whole FD should have been binned and redesigned probably after 2007 but they never did until the WC came along. Other than being the other way round I have no idea what the difference is but they do seem to be holding up, assuming it is the same as the K1200-K1300 FD

The bike has many such issues but compared to anything else it's still great.

So many parts on the 1200 look expensive to make for no benefit to anyone. This is a great example. A few grams at the hub wont affect handling and the same weight could have been be lost from the cast wheel (if not the wire) with no effect on quality.

The front swing arm is the opposite end of the scale. It weighs more than the back swing arm and the (costly) needle rollers get messed up due to the less than 5 degrees rocking action. The arm could be lighter anyway, but the front shock could have attached close to the ball joint and saved even more weight and polybushes cost 2-1/2p. Costs and weight could have come down even more, had they used a Hossack front end.

We have a handy clutch inspection cover, blocked by that massive air/battery box and the afterthought throttle cable splitter. I'd love to see the bike with a single throttle body under the fuel tank with inlet port injectors. There's a good chance of no power loss but a great cost and complexity saving. But its a bike so tradition says it must have a throttle per cylinder and hence we get that clunking great airbox.

Hossack conversion for K bikes. Other versions had a lie down shock for additional suspension travel.

08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Recall

Hi All

Received mine a couple of days ago 2013 RT TC .......all good fun

Quote Originally Posted by Bigboy View Post
    Hi All

Received mine a couple of days ago 2013 RT TC .......all good fun
    You might want to check that before taking it in. I was told on Friday it doesn't affect bikes after 2011.

Cheers

Happened to be in Bahnstormers Alton yesterday picking up some parts and asked what they reckoned on the lead time - June they reckon. I still haven't had the fuel pump recall done but having checked that and the flange on my bike there's nothing visibily wrong with either so will wait till its convenient.

Mikeyboy raised a point that for removal the wheel/disc flange has to be heated to 120C. That could risk overheating the grease packed wheel bearing seal. So unless the flange is cracked its probably best left well alone.

Watch UKGSer for a spate of failed rear wheel bearings.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Quote Originally Posted by Beemerman59 View Post
    Happened to be in Bahnstormers Alton yesterday picking up some parts and asked what they reckoned on the lead time - June they reckon. I still haven't had the fuel pump recall done but having checked that and the flange on my bike there's nothing visibily wrong with either so will wait till its convenient.
    I'm booked in 30th May at Alton, I they had earlier spaces, but I wanted a weekend

Any one had the recall done yet? any chance of a before and after pic of the old/new parts. Just had a look at a friends 2011TC and it is noticeably more substantial with a thick casting rib running all round the edge. Our bikes, 09, are smooth and appear machined all over.
    Dont think I will rush in, told June anyway, let the techs practice on a few first
    Money isn't everything.But it keeps the kids intouch

Mine is at the dealers now and being flanged up tomorrow
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1
    2016 KTM 200 EXC

Going to Williams Manchester tomorrow to get my flange done...

Mine changed efficiently on Thursday by CW in Dorchester and I enjoyed a sunny trip to West Bay on a courtesy bike of my choice whilst work carried out. Top service.

Click here to find out how to remove these ads

Can't beat having your flange serviced.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567