04/05 Flange defect, take note

And me...........................will let me know when they have the stock !

Heres the letter I've received for my 09 GSA.

(And no, I didn't chuckle when I saw that BMW had written the word 'flange and 'cracks'':D)

670d0991-bce0-4529-862d-c7a33969357e_zpsnnfwxjkr.jpg

Chester Motorrad told me today that they have lots of the parts in for this recall, mine's in for next week.

Chester Motorrad told me today that they have lots of the parts in for this recall, mine's in for next week.

I'll nip in tomorrow if that's the case, my letter arrived today for my 2006 GSA.....

Mine quoted it's free of charge. Not sure how that works with a 150 mile round trip to Plymouth.:confused:

I received a letter for a 2008 bike that I traded into a bmw dealer 3 years 8 months ago. Beware that it seems Bmw are using their own data base rather than dvla. If you own a second hand bike you may not receive the letter - if in doubt, best check with a dealer with your vin number.
Alan R

Got my letter today,BMW don't know l own the bike so they must have gone through the dvla. I'll give NOG a call tomorrow to see how soon they can fit me in as we are off to France in two weeks.

My 09 GSA wet in for the fuel pipe collars to be fitted last week, got a phone call a couple of hours later saying it was ready so I said I'd be up in n hour or so. 20 minutes later got another call asking me if I wanted the rear flange replaced as they had the bike already and they had the part in stock.

Not bad, fixed before I have even received a letter about it! Thanks to Motoradd Central in Dalkeith :)

My 2007 K1200s with 6k on the clock has just had this recall, new flange ordered, must be critical as first post was in 2009, 6 years to action a safety recall, I've no hope in my lifetime of getting my ineffective grips sorted out on my WC..

I was in Bahnstormers this morning and asked what years this recall applied to. Was advised 04-11....that's allot of bikes. Which means BMW were still manufacturing the part well after the first issues were raised. Ignoring the customer is going to cost them quite a bit!

I was in Bahnstormers this morning and asked what years this recall applied to. Was advised 04-11....that's allot of bikes. Which means BMW were still manufacturing the part well after the first issues were raised. Ignoring the customer is going to cost them quite a bit!
Nothing new there really.

This is global as well so yes, big money involved.

Depends if it is a manufacturing or design fault and who did what. If the manufacturer did what they were told to it isn't their fault.

It does look like an overly light weight part considering what it has to do for a living. Common sense would have made the flange bigger and taken some weight off the lardy wheels.

I would agree with you Bendy but that was the whole ethos of the hexheads. Everything was done to a weight limit and some of it has bitten them. The whole FD should have been binned and redesigned probably after 2007 but they never did until the WC came along. Other than being the other way round I have no idea what the difference is but they do seem to be holding up, assuming it is the same as the K1200-K1300 FD

The bike has many such issues but compared to anything else it's still great.

So many parts on the 1200 look expensive to make for no benefit to anyone. This is a great example. A few grams at the hub wont affect handling and the same weight could have been be lost from the cast wheel (if not the wire) with no effect on quality.

The front swing arm is the opposite end of the scale. It weighs more than the back swing arm and the (costly) needle rollers get messed up due to the less than 5 degrees rocking action. The arm could be lighter anyway, but the front shock could have attached close to the ball joint and saved even more weight and polybushes cost 2-1/2p. Costs and weight could have come down even more, had they used a Hossack front end.

We have a handy clutch inspection cover, blocked by that massive air/battery box and the afterthought throttle cable splitter. I'd love to see the bike with a single throttle body under the fuel tank with inlet port injectors. There's a good chance of no power loss but a great cost and complexity saving. But its a bike so tradition says it must have a throttle per cylinder and hence we get that clunking great airbox.

Hossack conversion for K bikes. Other versions had a lie down shock for additional suspension travel.

hossac10.jpg

Recall

Hi All

Received mine a couple of days ago 2013 RT TC .......all good fun

Back
Top Bottom