04/05 Flange defect, take note

Full set O cracks, now your just being greedy Mr K:augie

Feel my greed:

flange001.jpg

:(

I hope BT pays you a BIG bonus for Chrissy then you can buy a new thingy.
Then again, Pigs may fly...Good luck Sir.:D and stay safe.
Lyn.

Can you not get it welded???

That's what I'd do if it were mine. Obviously, it needs welding by a welding god, rather than a ham fisted numpty... Thankfully, I know a welding god :D, because I am that numpty :augie

Having just popped my new 2nd hand flange into the oven I noticed the new one doesn't have "sleeved" bolt holes for the wheel mountings.

The fibre washer came as a seperate part, mounted on a metal ring which is an interference fit onto the flange.

Wish me luck.

:eek

All done - the circlip is an absolute bar steward to fit.

I'm exhausted.

:clap

Just had mine replaced on Thursday. The flange was cracked at the wheel bolt heads and not the disc brake end. Mechanic told me that flange was still rideable. But I'm pleased I've had it replaced for peace of mind and all that.

And I'm just right now working on mine...

...but have to be on my way to the hardware store to get a proper long torx for the brake disc bolts, the sockets I have only go at it at an angle,
and those bolts are a bugger to get out.

1200GS 10/2004
Cracks around all 5 bolt-holes that hold the wheel on,
no cracks at the brake disc bolt holes

Siggi

I have just joined the elite group with this problem. Mine let go when I stomped on the brake hard (doing a brake test) and the whole disk detached from the flange.
I've been having rear brake sponginess problems and had bled the brakes twice and installed new pads. I went for a ride, and when close to home tried pressing the brakes hard. An almighty bang, crunch, etc and an over whelming desire to stop the bike fast as I could hear all the grinding and clanking of metal on metal.
It could have been much worse if I had been going faster than 40 kph.

Photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineman1/R1200GS
2005 1200GS with 70k km

I am approaching BMW in Western Australia requesting advice on how to report this formally to BMW as I feel there should be a recall.

It would help if I could get details of
Build date
milage
location (Country.state) and
contact email

for those you you who have had cracks/failures in the rear wheel carrier (flange)

Details can be emailed to kenraine@bigpond.net.au

thanks

Ken

I have just gotten my 05 back from BMW after taking it in with a fault which showed the rear brake light had gone, checked the bul seemed fine so changed bulb with a new bulb any way and it still indicated rear light gone, changed it again same again cleaned contacts checked wiring couldn't find anything wrong, changed battery for a new one, as the other one was 5 1/2 years old and didn't like the cold, nothing changed , so took it in to BMW got a loan bike for the day and waited for the bad news the next day, so they foned said the good news is they found the fault, the light bulb had gone.... but the bad news is while carrying out a routine health check they had discovered the rear disc flange had cracks in, ( i wondered, if it's a part not due for failure why it was part of a routine health check), To be fair they were saying straight away that they were negotiating with BMW germany for them to cover the cost, and as the part took 4 days to arrive from germany any way i asked if they would cover the loan bike cost as well, they said the would try, then it snowed and communication broke down as the person dealing with my case couldn't get to work, ten days later i get a phone call tocollect the bike as it's ready to go, i was a bitpissed off and readying my arguments as i hadn't agreed to any work being done, ( i presumed germany would say no as i hear a lot of negative about there cust serv) low and behold they said the bill was £15 for changing the light bulb, was well pleased and considering the bike has 56700 miles on it no extended warrenty and i never even asked for the good will repair, feel very lucky relieved and confused as to why i got such outstanding customer service, so as for a recall unlikely but if other people are getting good will repairs footed by BMW germany surely a precedent has been set and the gates are a little further opened

A 'bump' for this topic is worthwhile.....there are still bikes out there that could be affected....

by email said:
R1200GS 2006 model
Catastrophic brake failure

Until I read the information on your web page I had no idea there was a problem with the disc carrier on my BMW. So, I never checked it for cracking. Obviously my carrier must have been cracked and I didn’t realize. This lead to a complete failure when I applied my brakes. The disc (rotor) separated from the carrier and was free to do damage while the bike was moving. Fortunately this happened at low speed and not at highway speed.

I am the third owner of this bike and have owned it for approximately 6 years. I had no idea this was a potential problem. If the bike was regularly at a BMW dealer then the problem may have been picked up but as I do my own servicing this wasn’t the case.

New parts have been ordered and the company supplying the parts said they sell quite a lot of these as it is a common failure. I have to replace the disc as well as it got damaged in the incident.

The highlights of your web site regarding this problem were:
§ The fact that this is a common failure on BMWs

§ The carrier is a shrink fit onto the spline shaft and has to be heated to removed.

Please pass this information onto anyone riding this model BMW as my failure could have cause a bad accident if it happened at highway speed.

Regards
Ray W

r1200gs_rear_disc_carrier_flange_failure_002-XL.jpg

r1200gs_rear_disc_carrier_flange_failure_001-XL.jpg

I got my brake disc changed with the FD bearings. Disc carrier was ok but I had expected to be replacing it.

Presumably this is the subject part in the current BMW "recall" / Technical Campaign...

Yes, this is the part subject to the recall.

What have bmw said regarding those unfortunate enough to have already paid to replace it.

I can't see why BMW had to make it with all those complex lugs etc. a simple circular flange would be stronger.
Mk doubt they'll say it's weight saving. Yeah right. The wheel itself could easily go on a diet and safe more weight in more effective ways.

Just got my recall letter today regarding this. It isn't an inspection it's a "will be replaced" although not just yet as they don't have any parts.

Got my letter this morning and the bike is booked in the end of next week for a service at which (the good old boys at NOG have already advised me) the flange will be replaced :thumby:

Back
Top Bottom