Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 04/05 Flange defect, take note

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    michnus

04/05 Flange defect, take note

If you own a 04 1200GS, go check the flange on your bike, might be 04 and 05 models, just possibly be one of the flanges that will have cracks on the lugs securing the rear brake disc to the flange.

On my 04 1200, the flange which secures the rear wheel and rear brake disc some how got some cracks on all the lugs securing the rear brake disc. It is not a common problem and from the things of it seems to be 04 specific, not confirmed. It is suspected that it is either a design fault or metal fatigue.

This is a safety critical item and on a bike like this must never happen. You need to take of the rear wheel and inspect the flange properly. If you intent buying a 1200GS/GSA let the seller/ dealer take off the rear wheel and confirm it does not have cracks on the lugs as this item will cost you around $280 to replace.

Nowt worse than cracked flange.

My back wheel comes off when the new FD oil arrives. I'll have a good look. Thanks for the warning.

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    I recently fitted a new wavy rear disk to my '04 and didn't notice any cracks/defects with the carrier but will remove my rear wheel in the morning and inspect it more closely.

Thanks for the heads up.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

I`ve just checked mine and it`s ok Mines a 54 plate with 18k. If you have alloy wheels you can check them without having to take the back wheel off not sure about the spoked ones

THANKS VERY MUCH

Michnus,
    a very big THANK YOU.

Just went out to check my '04 bike. The three 'arms' I could see easily on my rear brake disk/wheel bub were fine (as I expected). Turned the wheel and to my horror, the other two arms have the cracks.

When I recently changed my rear disk due to warping with a tight spot, I did a cursory glance rather than a proper good eyeball. I'm normally a stickler for all things engineering, can't believe I didn't find this earlier (unless its only just occurred).

In hindsight, it may have been the cracked brake disk hub that allowed the disk to warp?

Either way, I'm off to Bahnstormer Motorrad this afternoon on a rideout so will ask them about possible goodwill or discount on a replacement hub. This is not good on a component which is meant to stay together for the life of the bike, and its failure could have potentially life-threatening consequences.
    ADAM

2008 R1200GSA
    2011 Yamaha Tmax

raineman
    I have just joined the elite group with this problem. Mine let go when I stomped on the brake hard (doing a brake test) and the whole disk detached from the flange.
    I've been having rear brake sponginess problems and had bled the brakes twice and installed new pads. I went for a ride, and when close to home tried pressing the brakes hard. An almighty bang, crunch, etc and an over whelming desire to stop the bike fast as I could hear all the grinding and clanking of metal on metal.
    It could have been much worse if I had been going faster than 40 kph.

Photos at http://picasaweb.google.com/raineman1/R1200GS
    2005 1200GS with 70k km

I am approaching BMW in Western Australia requesting advice on how to report this formally to BMW as I feel there should be a recall.

It would help if I could get details of
    Build date
    milage
    location (Country.state) and
    contact email

for those you you who have had cracks/failures in the rear wheel carrier (flange)

Details can be emailed to kenraine@bigpond.net.au

thanks

Ken

I have just gotten my 05 back from BMW after taking it in with a fault which showed the rear brake light had gone, checked the bul seemed fine so changed bulb with a new bulb any way and it still indicated rear light gone, changed it again same again cleaned contacts checked wiring couldn't find anything wrong, changed battery for a new one, as the other one was 5 1/2 years old and didn't like the cold, nothing changed , so took it in to BMW got a loan bike for the day and waited for the bad news the next day, so they foned said the good news is they found the fault, the light bulb had gone.... but the bad news is while carrying out a routine health check they had discovered the rear disc flange had cracks in, ( i wondered, if it's a part not due for failure why it was part of a routine health check), To be fair they were saying straight away that they were negotiating with BMW germany for them to cover the cost, and as the part took 4 days to arrive from germany any way i asked if they would cover the loan bike cost as well, they said the would try, then it snowed and communication broke down as the person dealing with my case couldn't get to work, ten days later i get a phone call tocollect the bike as it's ready to go, i was a bitpissed off and readying my arguments as i hadn't agreed to any work being done, ( i presumed germany would say no as i hear a lot of negative about there cust serv) low and behold they said the bill was £15 for changing the light bulb, was well pleased and considering the bike has 56700 miles on it no extended warrenty and i never even asked for the good will repair, feel very lucky relieved and confused as to why i got such outstanding customer service, so as for a recall unlikely but if other people are getting good will repairs footed by BMW germany surely a precedent has been set and the gates are a little further opened

A 'bump' for this topic is worthwhile.....there are still bikes out there that could be affected....

Quote Originally Posted by by email
    R1200GS 2006 model
    Catastrophic brake failure

Until I read the information on your web page I had no idea there was a problem with the disc carrier on my BMW. So, I never checked it for cracking. Obviously my carrier must have been cracked and I didn’t realize. This lead to a complete failure when I applied my brakes. The disc (rotor) separated from the carrier and was free to do damage while the bike was moving. Fortunately this happened at low speed and not at highway speed.

I am the third owner of this bike and have owned it for approximately 6 years. I had no idea this was a potential problem. If the bike was regularly at a BMW dealer then the problem may have been picked up but as I do my own servicing this wasn’t the case.

New parts have been ordered and the company supplying the parts said they sell quite a lot of these as it is a common failure. I have to replace the disc as well as it got damaged in the incident.

The highlights of your web site regarding this problem were:
    § The fact that this is a common failure on BMWs

§ The carrier is a shrink fit onto the spline shaft and has to be heated to removed.

Please pass this information onto anyone riding this model BMW as my failure could have cause a bad accident if it happened at highway speed.

Regards
    Ray W

04/05 Flange defect, take note

I got my brake disc changed with the FD bearings. Disc carrier was ok but I had expected to be replacing it.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Presumably this is the subject part in the current BMW "recall" / Technical Campaign...

Yes, this is the part subject to the recall.

What have bmw said regarding those unfortunate enough to have already paid to replace it.

I can't see why BMW had to make it with all those complex lugs etc. a simple circular flange would be stronger.
    Mk doubt they'll say it's weight saving. Yeah right. The wheel itself could easily go on a diet and safe more weight in more effective ways.
    08 R1200GSA
    76 Suzuki GT750

Just got my recall letter today regarding this. It isn't an inspection it's a "will be replaced" although not just yet as they don't have any parts.

opinionated, me? Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
    Just got my recall letter today regarding this. It isn't an inspection it's a "will be replaced" although not just yet as they don't have any parts.
    Wot he said.
    Mark
    Just when you've got this rat race licked, here come faster rats!

Got my letter this morning and the bike is booked in the end of next week for a service at which (the good old boys at NOG have already advised me) the flange will be replaced
    2016 BMW R1200 GS Triple Black
    2017 BMW R Nine-T Scrambler X
    1996 BMW R80 GS Basic
    1980 Kawasaki Z1300
    1962 BSA Gold Flash
    2002 Triumph Bonneville (Desert Sled)
    2003 Triumph Daytona 955i (Rob North Replica)
    2001 Yamaha T-Max Mk1

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast