Proposed Byway closure (partial) Byway 73 Froncysyllte, Llangollen area.

Timpo

North Wales TRF
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Ok folks, there is an issue that needs our attention. We, UKGSERs use Byway 73 on our trail rides, as we will in May.
Byway 73, which is the first trail used off the A5 when riding the Chirk to Llangollen loop, is a trail of three sections. Usually riders only use the lower section straight off the A5, and then the mid-section which has the concrete steps on it up to Penygraig Cottage, but there is an upper section. There has been some obstructions on the upper section for some time though, but riders have been able to ride up to the fencing obstruction.
The proposed order is to close the upper section to vehicles and horses.
Please take a look at the Order notice below, along with the streetmap image of the route.
I may be running out to do the trail in a few days, maybe easter Sunday. But don't wait for me, go take a look and please send in your objection to the proposal to Martin Wright whose address is below.
Here is a streetmap image of the Byway under threat.

Timpo.

Wrexham County Council
(Byway 73 Froncysyllte)
(Prohibition of all vehicles and persons on horseback or leading horses on foot)
Order 2009.

Wrexham County Borough Council proposes to make an Order under Section 1 (1), 2 (1) and 3 (2) of the Road Traffic Regulation Act 1984 the effect of which will be to prohibit all vehicles and persons on horseback or leading horses on foot from using the length of road described in the Schedule to this Notice.

A copy of the proposed Order together with a plan showing the length of road to which the Order relates and associated documentation may be examined at Council Offices, Crown Buildings, 31 Chester Street, Wrexham Monday - Friday 9.00AM - 5.00pm (4.45pm on Fridays).

Objections to the proposed Order, together with the grounds upon which they are made, should be sent in writing to the undersigned no later than 24th April 2009.

Wrexham County Council
(Byway 73 Froncysyllte)
(Prohibition of all vehicles and persons on horseback or leading horses on foot)
Order 2009.

Schedule

Prohibition of all Vehicles and Persons on Horseback or leading Horses on foot.

Road affected

Byway 73 Froncysyllte

Length affected

From a point 100m southwest of its junction with the unclassified road at Penygraig, Froncysyllte, in a south-westerly direction to its junction with the unclassified road at Garreg Lwyd. A distance of approximately 665 metres.

Dated this 3rd April 2009.

Martin Wright
Chief Transportation and Asset Management Officer
Crown Buildings
Chester Street
Wrexham
LL13 8BG

Letter written, will post later today.

Note to all Llangollen meeting attendees!
This track is part of the proposed route we will be using. If some of you could write just a brief note saying you object to the closure because it's part of a planned legal trail ride you will be doing that would help.

Letter written, will post later today.

Note to all Llangollen meeting attendees!
This track is part of the proposed route we will be using. If some of you could write just a brief note saying you object to the closure because it's part of a planned legal trail ride you will be doing that would help.

I should imagine that everybody who has ever attended a UKGSER trail ride at the Llangollen do would of been up the most of this trail, the upper bit being blocked by fencing obstruction but nevertheless, you will of used as much of the route as possible. If the obstruction wasn't in place, you will probably have used all of the route.
I have definately taken groups up to the obstruction, then u-turned and came down.
So,if your letter can be along those lines (but not copied/pasted) in your own words, that will help our fight.:thumb2

Timpo.

Letter in the post TIMPO, have the local authority taken up the matter of the obstruction with the landowner?, if not is it worth progressing????????

ferret:comfort

Letter in the post TIMPO, have the local authority taken up the matter of the obstruction with the landowner?, if not is it worth progressing????????

Ferret, you have definately been up the lane with me.
I have no info until tomorrow about the reasons for closure, or if the CC had issued notice to the land owner. The whole thing smells fishy to me......

Timpo.

Ferret, you have definately been up the lane with me.
I have no info until tomorrow about the reasons for closure, or if the CC had issued notice to the land owner. The whole thing smells fishy to me......

Timpo.

I will do the letter tonight. Having never done one of these before what do i need to include in it ?

Steve.

Include that you have used the majority of the route but not had access to through passage due to fencing obstruction at the top end. This resulted in a u-turn. Please use your own words.....

I will be doing a trail ride real soon to go take a fresh look, mind you, i was only up there two weeks ago..... if you have some spare time, take a ride up.

Timpo.

Right, I have ventured to the County Office today and talked with a ROW Officer about the proposal.
The landowner has refused to remove the fencing to allow through traffic. He (she) is saying that the 'real route' according to the definative map is no longer there due to a quarry operation, his! The route being used up to the fencing (cul-de-sac) is not the true route but a diversion, which in the eyes of the law, we are entitled to do. But our complaint to the council can only apply to an obstruction on the true route.
So, the landowner removed limestone from a quarry, which caused a road to fall in. He then closed the rest of the road by fencing. The remainder of the road including a diversion around the hole caused by the quarrying is used but users (except pedestrians) must u-turn as through passage is not possible.
I think there should be diversion forced onto the landowners allowing 'all traffic' through passage. The landowners only want to allow a footpath to be diverted.

Please send in your objection to this proposal.

Timpo.

The statement of reason reads:-

Statement Of Reasons
Identified by the Chief Transportation and Asset Management Officer for Wrexham County Borough Council following representations received:-​

1. To avoid danger to persons or other traffic using the road or any other road or for preventing the likelihood of any such danger arising.

2. To prevent damage to the road or to any building on or near the road.

3. To prevent the use of the road by vehicular traffic of a kindwhich, or its use by vehicular in a manner which, is suitable having regard to the existing character of the road or adjoining property.

4. To ensure all vehicular and equine traffic are unable to gain access on the Byway 73 thus providing a safer enviroment for pedestrians.

OK, thanks to all who have sent in an objection.

It is still open if you wish to fire an objection in.

Email is possible:-

You need to send it to webmaster@wrexham.gov.uk for the attention of Martin Wright as named in the notice.

Timpo.

Just come back off holiday and seen this post today. Email sent.

Anyone had a reply to their objection yet? :nenau

"Dear Mr Masters

Thank you for your email, which I have passed onto the relevant department.

Kind regards,

Rob Griffiths
Web Development Manager
Wrexham County Borough Council
"

Yes

Dear Sir

Thank you for your e-mail. I have passed it on to the relevant department, and have asked them to respond.

Many Thanks
Luke Turnbull
Webteam
Wrexham County Borough Council
Tel: 01978 292881
Fax: 01978 292866

Back
Top Bottom