Weds: Dover-Calais, stopover near Dijon

Joybringer

Reaction score
I've been thinking a lot about this (and it still hurts), but whilst I don't want to appear a miserable, unsociable git, I feel there will be more than enough time from Vevey onwards, for me to strike up friendships and a bit of male bonding...:eek:

...so, taking a slightly cheaper option, I'm setting off early from the MK area, and I've booked on the 07:45 from Dover (arriving 10:15) on Wednesday 9th, with a view to getting to the Dijon area by 16:00 (or earlier), taking the péages for speed and convenience. I normally hate blatting along m-ways, but needs must...:augie

This will, of course, attract tolls of around £20, but I'm planning on getting to a seemingly 'nice' hotel here (for about £42) and spend a couple of hours before dinner having a wander around and fulfilling any photographic urges or desires. The bar may also take a small pounding if the mood strikes...:ChrisKelly

Anyhow, that leaves a not-too-early start to take more of a bimble into Cuckoo Clock Land, using non-motorway/péages, and arriving in Vevey around 16:00 on the Thursday. I've planned a route that deliberately takes in the lakeside road, along Lac Léman. I don't have the final destination address for the hotel in Vevey, yet, but here's the Garmin route file:
View attachment Joybringer's Jaunt to Vevey.gdb

Coming back, I've booked the 15:25 on Sunday 20th from Calais to Blighty (arriving 15:55), and I'll probably follow the same route home from Vevey. Then again, I might wander into Belgium if time permits.:ymca

Anyhow, I haven't yet booked any accommodation for the Saturday night stopover, but was thinking of probably staying around the Chalons-en-Champagne or Saint-Dizier area(s). I'll do that later and post up.:)

The door is open for anyone to join me for the complete ride down (you'll need to book your own room(s)), or to meet up with those of you coming from St Malo and Zeebrugge, near Dijon or somewhere. My final route into Vevey isn't cast in stone, but I have a distinct preference for bimbling and seeing some of the French countryside I've never ridden in. If anyone has any better suggestions for a route there, please holler, but my mind's made-up to take a slow-ish meander into Vevey! :pullface

Yoy

Don't ignore Yoy. You wouldn't like him when he's angry :forry

:D

um, I'm slightly red (after a sunny w'end outside) - if you don't think we'll clash, I like your plan and would be delighted to join you. :)

Cool! :thumb

Chat nearer the time for final arrangements (unless you're up for a ride soon??), but you'll need to book the ferry and room soon, to avoid disappointment :)

You may have read elsewhere that I believe I snore like a bastid, so it's single rooms only, to save my embarrassment!

Anyhow, maybe catch-up in person, soon???

Yoy

Ps that's a lot of 'soons'....

Last edited:
Looks like it's me and DomB getting the Dover-Calais special, and meeting up with bbbvito, BM Bandit, Norm and Rivendell coming in from Hull-Zeebrugge, and staying overnight here.

Anyone else up for meeting for the ride into Vevey?

Yoy

Back
Top Bottom