Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Camping food ?

Camping food ?

I'm looking for some advice for someone who's done this before. Do you?

1. Cook nothing but Tea on your stove.

2. Buy provisions just when you need them (fry-up) and cook them then.

3. Have some secret ingredients that last for a week in the bottom of a pannier and cook as required.

Confused in Wicklow (the stove didn't come with a recipe book)

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Tescos do a lovely range of soup in a plastic bag. Alway suseful to keep one or two in the panniers just in case. As its floppy, you can fit them in nooks and crannies in the panniers and a piece of pish to warm up - taste lovely too.
    Link to Headcase - Recognising the signs of concussion

All I'm taking is some Costco pancake mix, maple syrup and (real) coffee. Might go crazy and buy a bananna to have with it as a special treat...

'Boil in the bag', then use the water for a cuppa. I boil the water and cook in a tin mug, basic I know but fecking practical. Cuppa soups are the other stand by, just buy rolls whilst on the road.

undead Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    visit any camping shop and go for the boil in the bag or add boiling water menu by fresh where and when you cantake a few herbs and spices to improve the flavour

always remember that you are absolutely unique, just like everyone else.

Toss'ed about a bit Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    We always carry a few of these incase we don't find a campsite till late.
    Wayfarer
    Going as fast as you can won't kill you ........stopping faster than you want to will

This is a great idea for a thread Think I will buy some of the wayfarer range suggested by bobble to see me by if I forget to buy stuff on route!! Been collecting up my wee salt & peppers + sauces from the work canteen

Aldi do the boxes of foil wrapped cupaccino and latte' range which are handy when stopping for a quick brew, and the baxters packets of soup out the Co-op at £1.30 a shot are ace!

Ok lads,whatever you will need to know about cooking and camping food ask me!!!! I'm a chef and camping and cooking are my favorites hobbies
    Anyway and lidl have a lot of foods suits for cooking in camp..... I do this all the time here in ireland. And yours discussion about food make me laugh I can't wait to meet u all.... 9 days left

Deleted account W
    These are very filling, tasty and can be heated in a pan or chucked in a Microwave if your in a bunkhouse.

One of these and some bread is enough for an evening meal.

Quote Originally Posted by Martas View Post
    Ok lads,whatever you will need to know about cooking and camping food ask me!!!! I'm a chef and camping and cooking are my favorites hobbies
    Anyway and lidl have a lot of foods suits for cooking in camp..... I do this all the time here in ireland. And yours discussion about food make me laugh I can't wait to meet u all.... 9 days left
    So, what's your packing list for the camp kitchen?

Always have some curry powder to spice things up, super noodles are brilliant to have with you and some packets of savoury rice.

One meal which I want to try on a trip is Mussels in a white wine sauce. Its simple to do at home and I can't see any reason why it can't be done on a camping trip. So Taffs Top Tip is:
    • Get a bag of live Mussels or pick your own
    • Clean the Mussel shells, rip off the "beards" and bang them in a saucepan.
    • Pour in say half a mug of dry white wine
    • Cover the saucepan, bring to the boil and leave for say 5 mins - by now the smell is fantastic.
    • Chuck any Mussels that have not opened - they're dead
    • Pour most of the boiled wine back in to the mug - but leave the screggs (grit etc) at the bottom of the sauepan and discard it
    • Pour the wine back into the saucepan (still with the Mussels in it) and
    • Add a small carton of fresh double cream and a squeeze of garlic puree (or crush your own)
    • Stir and gently re-heat
    • Pour the lot into a deep bowl and
    • Scoff with fresh buttered bread and the rest of the white wine.

If you have a eerrr ... "friend" and her pants aren't off within 20 minutes, you've done something wrong.
    Link to Headcase - Recognising the signs of concussion

Quote Originally Posted by Taff View Post
    One meal which I want to try on a trip is Mussels in a white wine sauce. Its simple to do at home and I can't see any reason why it can't be done on a camping trip. So Taffs Top Tip is:
    • Get a bag of live Mussels or pick your own
    • Clean the Mussel shells, rip off the "beards" and bang them in a saucepan.
    • Pour in say half a mug of dry white wine
    • Cover the saucepan, bring to the boil and leave for say 5 mins - by now the smell is fantastic.
    • Chuck any Mussels that have not opened - they're dead
    • Pour most of the boiled wine back in to the mug - but leave the screggs (grit etc) at the bottom of the sauepan and discard it
    • Pour the wine back into the saucepan (still with the Mussels in it) and
    • Add a small carton of fresh double cream and a squeeze of garlic puree (or crush your own)
    • Stir and gently re-heat
    • Pour the lot into a deep bowl and
    • Scoff with fresh buttered bread and the rest of the white wine.

If you have a eerrr ... "friend" and her pants aren't off within 20 minutes, you've done something wrong.
    Hey Taff....tell us more, I'm interested in more good tips on good food and getting girls pants off and not necessarily in that order! Together is sometimes fine as well

(no longer Pink) Click here to find out how to Subscribe
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dogs nuts! View Post
    Hey Taff....tell us more, I'm interested in more good tips on good food and getting girls pants off and not necessarily in that order! Together is sometimes fine as well
    This might work

Banana flakes

4 bananas
    4 cadburys flakes

Start to slice your banana in half across its middle, but make sure you don't cut right through
    Snap flake in half, and carefully push each half down the middle of each banana handle
    Lots of banana flesh will burst out-ignore it
    And if the skin splits here & there, don't worry
    Manoeuvre the banana halves back together as best you can. Wrap snugly in tinfoil.
    Put the bananas in the fire for about 5 minutes
    Unwrap and scoop out the gooey, chocolately mess with abandon

Works best with open fire but have also cooked these on bbq, in oven, on stove etc

From the 'Cool Camping' cookbook which is great

Tip- if you can still find them, use old 35mm film canisters for herbs & spices
    plump ones ARE more juicy!

Quote Originally Posted by bobble View Post
    We always carry a few of these incase we don't find a campsite till late.
    Wayfarer
    I checked out the link - interesting that Amazon gives a price for the USED wafarer ready meals

I always take pasta and rice as this goes with pretty much anything, is easy to store and fills you up with minimum of fuss.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast