Camping food ?

One meal which I want to try on a trip is Mussels in a white wine sauce. :drool Its simple to do at home and I can't see any reason why it can't be done on a camping trip. So Taffs Top Tip is:
  • Get a bag of live Mussels or pick your own
  • Clean the Mussel shells, rip off the "beards" and bang them in a saucepan.
  • Pour in say half a mug of dry white wine
  • Cover the saucepan, bring to the boil and leave for say 5 mins - by now the smell is fantastic. :drool
  • Chuck any Mussels that have not opened - they're dead
  • Pour most of the boiled wine back in to the mug - but leave the screggs (grit etc) at the bottom of the sauepan and discard it
  • Pour the wine back into the saucepan (still with the Mussels in it) and
  • Add a small carton of fresh double cream and a squeeze of garlic puree (or crush your own)
  • Stir and gently re-heat
  • Pour the lot into a deep bowl and
  • Scoff with fresh buttered bread and the rest of the white wine.
If you have a eerrr ... "friend" and her pants aren't off within 20 minutes, you've done something wrong. :D

Taff why do you have to take the 'beards' off, I always prefer them on when eating clams:nenau:augie

What I usually try to take:-

Easy cook long grain rice.

Small shape pasta.

Tins of tuna.

A few onions.

Tomato puree (in a tube).

Pesto (to go with pasta).

Vegetable stock cubes.

Mixed herbs.

Encona chilli sauce.

Curry powder.

Add to that lot fresh bread, cheese, salami etc. and I never go hungry :thumb2

Camping Food

If you go on to Ebay and look for Army Rations you'll see that it can be quite cheap. For a day's ration you get boil in a bag for the main meals, you also get fruit and savoury biscuits,a tin of Liver Pate a bar of chocolate, instant tea & Coffee and Boiled Sweets,Packet of Paper handkerchiefs, and some waterproof matches.The price is usually between £6 & £9.Try a bag at home, if you don't like it it's only £6 wasted. :beerjug:

I am lucky as I like MRE's as does the wife (Ex Army) but she is a veggie so they don't always suit her taste.

You can buy pre cooked rice in a bag and heat it then add the hot water to powdered soup and mix, sounds bad but after 14 hours on a bike it is a life saver.

Get some insulated cups as well, great for eating the above from and they keep the tea/coffee warm in the morning.

These are very filling, tasty and can be heated in a pan or chucked in a Microwave if your in a bunkhouse.

One of these and some bread is enough for an evening meal.

41-130-h-home-chicken.jpg
41-130-h-home-beefstew.jpg
41-130-h-home-lanc.jpg

:)

Tried one with some bread on my field trial, verdict: :thumb2

Also took a 'full monty' breakfast in a tin, Verdict: :thumb2

Mix up cooked pasta shells with Campbells meatballs and heat.

One pot cooking:thumb

Pick up a hot cooked chicken while riding past a tesco etc. They even do the same in supermarkets across europe. Feck all the cooking and washing up lark .

Pick up a hot cooked chicken while riding past a tesco etc. They even do the same in supermarkets across europe. Feck all the cooking and washing up lark .

Nae Tescos after the Snecky:rolleyes:

The only hot chickens up there are still running around clucking.

Hey Taff....tell us more, I'm interested in more good tips on good food and getting girls pants off :D :D
Aha .. just remembered another one. :bounce1
Garlic Mushrooms. :drool

This one is simple (even my 8 yr old can do it) and can easily be done on a camping trip. So Taffs Top Tip is:
  • Get a bag of fresh Mushrooms or pick your own (Don't eat wild mushrooms unless you know which ones are good and which ones aren't). I'm not confident enough to try unfamilar mushrooms, but any mushrooms bought in a supermarket will be edible.
  • Clean the Mushrooms and cut into coarse chunks (ie not too thin) and bang them in a saucepan.
  • Add a generous dab of butter and heat gently for say 2 minutes. Don't over-cook them otherwise they go "mushy" so
  • Just as they're browning add a small carton of fresh double cream and a generous squeeze of garlic puree (or crush your own) to the mushroom and juice mix
  • Stir and gently re-heat for say 1 minute - again don't over-cook them
  • Pour the lot onto fresh buttered toast (or just eat them with fresh crusty bread) and
  • Scoff with and a bottle of your favourite drink - personally I prefer red.
NB. You will almost certainly over-cook this the first time you try it, but bear in mind that everything in this recipe could be eaten uncooked if you wanted to. It should take about 5 minutes. Again, the smell of this is fantastic. :drool

If you have a eerrr ... "friend" and her pants aren't off within 30 minutes, you've done something wrong. The sharp eyed will notice that this takes 10 mins longer than the Mussels - simply because in my experience women tend to prefer the Mussels. :D

Back
Top Bottom