My Bums Numb!!

Mr Stiggy

Hi Guys,

I have had a few issues with my 1150 Adventure of which the worst is the lowered seat.

I have had the bike for the last 5 years and I really enjoy it however the last two years I have found that i can't do anymore than 150 miles straight riding without getting arse ache where as before I used to bang out a tank without any effort. Before anyone suggests it - no my arse hasn't changed much and I had the piles sorted last year!

I guess that the seat has finally given up the ghost and lost all its support so my question is this. Guess I have sat on my arse too long!!!

What is the best alternative?

I am considering the Corbin as my brother has one fitted to his Tiger and it is the most comfy of seats I have ever tried although a little wide.

The next option is the Seargent Seat but I have no experience of their products

I have considered trying a full height version - would buy one if someone has one for sale that goes with the Silver and Red Adventure colourscheme

Finally I could try and have my existing seat reworked but I don't have a clue who by.

Can anyone out there please offer some sensible advice for me as I am going away three times in the next few months and need to sort it out.

Tx Mr Stiggy

PS - the other issue, on which I will start a new thread are Spotlights, Shock Absorbers and HID Lighting kits

Bodies change :rob

How about getting off every 150 miles? Five minutes with your feet on the ground is worth a lot in terms of safety and comfort ... and its free.

I have tried the tested excercise of standing on pegs but feel like a twat showing off, especially as I have the dakar suit all liveried up etc. umm perhaps i am a twat - anyhow - Yeah I understand what you're saying, however I rode back from Gloucester to Hampshire yesterday and at just over 113 miles on twisties I found myself having to stop after an hour. Only after I had been uncomfortable for around 15 mins with a sore bum did I have to stop.

Perhaps I am too single minded but I like to just ride and ride and would happily bang out tank after tank notwithstanding a break after two hours or so.

I really just need to know what peoples personal experiences are with the various options of seats available. don't mean to be dismissive if I come across like it

I really just need to know what peoples personal experiences are with the various options of seats available. don't mean to be dismissive if I come across like it

Doesn't worry me :)

You're probably posting in the wrong part of the forum really but since we're here anyway I can heartliy recommend Sargent seats. I did about 50k miles on a Sargent on my old R1150GS and it was excellent. Though nowadays I ride a Varadero and use an airhawk (think I've bruised my coccyx so I need all the comfort I can get!) :thumb2

There's two types of airhawk - the cheaper one is made of plastic and the more expensive is made of neoprene. Have a look in the for sale section as they do come up from time to time, or have a look here

Try an Airhawk.. it worked for me.

after reading reviews and my knowledge of Ewan & Charlie boyz tour I have also considered an airhawk but at £100 or so for an add on I was wondering if the extra cash would be better spent on a complete seat replacement.

I know that some people try sheep skin and a couple of people have suggested that - any thoughts anyone?

Try posting in the regional section where you live to see if there is anyone who lives close by who has either a replacement seat or an airhawk that you could try???

Or grab yourself a mug of tea and get comfy then do a search for 'sargent', 'corbin', 'airhawk', 'alaskan butt pad' and 'sheepskin'. There's a lot of different opinions and what suits some folk doesn't suit others.

So many bikes, so many tossers, so many backsides :D

Thanks for your comments guys. I will do as suggested and try within my region to see if anyone has the different seats that I can try.

I appreciate all your help - Thanks

get the airhawk on us ebay and its a fraction of the UK prices.... or was when i bought mine. the guy i bought mine from took it out of the box and sent it " undercover" so no tax or duty.....

I got a sheepskin from lamblands for the right price :thumb2
I still end up standing on the pegs after a few hours though, perhaps I need an arse transplant.
Stewart

I have seriously thought of the sheepskin as a first stop. Although I have found a guy that builds a new seat for £140. Then again you get what you pay for don't you.

Like it Eliminator, at least then when I do stop to rest my arse I can play at popping the bubbles :)

I see Aldi are having their camping stuff in next week, the inflatable pillow looks rather like an Airhawk to me :augie, hopefully strategically positioned under my Sheepskin to keep it in place, I will report back on the cheap option :thumb2

Stewart

Cycling undershorts

Have you tried cycling undershorts? No seams, where seams shouldn't be, and a modicum of padding where padding helps. I always wear them on the bike and they do make a difference. They also wick away perspiration leaving those delicate parts fragrant and fresh!

I use Polaris

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=16454

I found that after a couple of years the standard seat was only really good for about 100 miles at a time - seat with sheepskin good for about 250 miles - seat rebuilt by Custom Seats and sheepskin good for about 500 miles - seat with airhawk good for 1000 miles - with Custom seat, airhawk, sheepskin and LD Comfort shorts have managed 2000 miles in 42 hours with no major discomfort (and I have a damaged coccyx).

Back
Top Bottom