Swiss Alps Tour: Day 1 - Vevey to Verbier

u crack me up mate - i can just imagine the beer time....

but on a serious note 1st day looks good i have been in that area a few times and its very nice.

if possible people should search for a vid called "swiss view" to give u an idea of the areas we shall be in.

im not a quick rider as i prefer to pootle along and enjoy the views/trip rather than treat the road like a race track so ill be at the back of the group for the majority of the time and am happy to do that but also happy to stick with a slower group - whatever happens i ll be happy.

Yes. Exactly. Which is what I said.

However, there are clearly some people in the group that do have issues or concerns or a lack of adventure outside of Tesco's car park. For whatever reason, their experience is either limited per se, or limited in regard to an Alpine adventure. I'm in the latter group, and appreciate all and any of the comments, suggestions, and banter.

I think it's only right that the details are posted, as you've suggested, but to stifle discussion is tantamount to censorship, or bullying, isnt it? No-one has to follow the route(s) precisely, or even be on the same stretch of road at the same time as others, but the difference is there should still be an opportunity to voice an opinion here and now, and at the time.

Personally, I couldn't care if we ride 400 miles a day, or 40. I'd also be happy riding alone, or in a conga, at 20 miles per hour or 80, as the mood takes me. I have no pretensions of riding round the world (although I am planning a jaunt to the Himalayas next year, if anyone's interested). That said, I'm not entirely into the tree-hugging-hippy-happy-clappy-crap. So long as the spirit is there, where's the problem?

With a group of this size and ego-diversity, I think we should perhaps be a little more sensitive to those of us with smaller penises.

Like me.

Magnum, you're doing a great job, thank you.

Just my deux centimes. Rant over.

NURSE!!

I may be wrong,but I'm guessing Magnum has a job and a social life.

But if he is happy to debate every last detail with people then it's up to him.

Obviously he'll discuss hotel options etc,but I'm happy to chance it with every pee stop and fuel fill up without a dress rehearsal

And,as Day 1 has been debated for 3 weeks and we are going in only 19 weeks or so,you guys had better crack on with the dotting and crossing,otherwise Day 7 will be IN AT THE DEEP END !! :eek:

Don't panic Mr Mainwaring

BAP_BBC_5213.jpg

Yes. Exactly. Which is what I said.

However, there are clearly some people in the group that do have issues or concerns or a lack of adventure outside of Tesco's car park. For whatever reason, their experience is either limited per se, or limited in regard to an Alpine adventure. I'm in the latter group, and appreciate all and any of the comments, suggestions, and banter.

I think it's only right that the details are posted, as you've suggested, but to stifle discussion is tantamount to censorship, or bullying, isnt it? No-one has to follow the route(s) precisely, or even be on the same stretch of road at the same time as others, but the difference is there should still be an opportunity to voice an opinion here and now, and at the time.

Personally, I couldn't care if we ride 400 miles a day, or 40. I'd also be happy riding alone, or in a conga, at 20 miles per hour or 80, as the mood takes me. I have no pretensions of riding round the world (although I am planning a jaunt to the Himalayas next year, if anyone's interested). That said, I'm not entirely into the tree-hugging-hippy-happy-clappy-crap. So long as the spirit is there, where's the problem?

With a group of this size and ego-diversity, I think we should perhaps be a little more sensitive to those of us with smaller penises.

Like me.

Magnum, you're doing a great job, thank you.

Just my deux centimes. Rant over.

NURSE!!

I'm lost :confused:

I greed with Arsey's earlier point,IMHO there are lots of things we can debate but I don't think we need to debate every inch of the route,Magnum is a "local" and has rode most (if not all) of the route before,it was on the strength of that that I signed up for this trip,let Magnum decide the route,we are all starting and ending at the same point daily so we can all exchange stories and tall tales over a beer or 3 at day's end.
I don't think anyone is questioning that Magnum is doing a great job :clap

Martin,

if you need help with anything give me a shout and ill see what i can do.. in the summer how about doing a trial run on a few of the routes as i am only 2 hrs away from you!!!

:surrender I'm sorry. I've had a very long day, and have another one tomorrow. Nit-picking is laborious work, but, hey, someone has to do it, right?

I think we're violently agreeing. :beerjug:

It's just the levels of detail and granularity. I just feel that it's very easy for those of us who have been there and done it to rest on our collective elbows and deride those of us who haven't.

I'm not suggesting every route needs a full vote, or that Mags should feel obliged to prepare all or any of them, anyhow. I'm simply suggesting that others should be given an opportunity to air a view or suggest an option, in the spirit of the trip.

I only speak from experience. That's all.

I simply don't agree with trying to enforce some kind of gag. Unless some of us are into that? (Call me. 08777 123333 :ymca)

I shall retract my neck and crawl back under my rock, and sully this thread no more.

I used to have BSE, but now I'm a helicopter.

:pullface

Well I don't really have a job, at least not in the normal 9-5 sense. Check profile for details :ChrisKelly

I see my role as giving the group what it wants. If the group would like detailed journey plans in advance, I'll provide it, with the proviso of course that they are recommendations and most definitely not compulsory. This is a holiday after all.

Alternatively if the group just wants a printed route handed out on the morning of each day, then I'm fine with that too.

I'm in the fortunate position of having plenty of time on my hands, present family health issues excepted, and I know that others are in a less fortunate position to me time wise. Therefore I am more than happy to do as much work as required to help ensure 20 bikers who don't know each other have a great time riding some of the best roads in Europe :thumb2 What a simply superb concept :rob

There are going to be differences of opinion, but I promise you this, if we all adopt a slightly laid-back attitude it'll be fantastic :beerjug:

There's only really one rule and that's that we all eat together in the morning and of an evening. Otherwise this isn't a group trip. I hope the group agrees :thumb2

Well I don't really have a job, at least not in the normal 9-5 sense. Check profile for details :ChrisKelly

I see my role as giving the group what it wants. If the group would like detailed journey plans in advance, I'll provide it, with the proviso of course that they are recommendations and most definitely not compulsory. This is a holiday after all.

Alternatively if the group just wants a printed route handed out on the morning of each day, then I'm fine with that too.

I'm in the fortunate position of having plenty of time on my hands, present family health issues excepted, and I know that others are in a less fortunate position to me time wise. Therefore I am more than happy to do as much work as required to help ensure 20 bikers who don't know each other have a great time riding some of the best roads in Europe :thumb2 What a simply superb concept :rob

There are going to be differences of opinion, but I promise you this, if we all adopt a slightly laid-back attitude it'll be fantastic :beerjug:

There's only really one rule and that's that we all eat together in the morning and of an evening. Otherwise this isn't a group trip. I hope the group agrees :thumb2

Magnum

I completely agree.

You are doing an excellent job and it is very much appreciated. Organising a small trip with a few friends can be quite taxing. So what you are doing is blooming marvellous.

I am more than happy for you to publish routes, maps, plans or whatever you want....sketch....nothing. I made one point which I also made very early on in December, which I am not going to repeat here for fear of causing offence to someone (not you).

Bandit
:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer:

Magnum,

You're doing a brilliant job and this trip will be fab.

All I would like is enough detail of each day's route so I can plot in Mapsource and upload to Nuvi 550 before we go.

I'd be quite happy to do this for everyone else who will be using a Garmin GPS,as previous experience has shown that if 6 people plot the same route individually,you can bet that they will have 6 different routes !!

I know that some frown on GPSs but I'm taking mine !

And obviously we need hotel details to make bookings/choices.

But I'm not fussed about discussing each day as I'm happy to go with your plan,especially as you are fine-tuning what you did last year.

But I do appreciate that some will want to chew the fat a bit about this,if only to anticipate the build up a bit.

Magnum,

All I would like is enough detail of each day's route so I can plot in Mapsource and upload to Nuvi 550 before we go.

I'd be quite happy to do this for everyone else who will be using a Garmin GPS,as previous experience has shown that if 6 people plot the same route individually,you can bet that they will have 6 different routes !!

But I do appreciate that some will want to chew the fat a bit about this,if only to anticipate the build up a bit.

Thank you for this, I prefer this Arsey than any other. :clap

It is very likely that you are the most experienced tourer on this trip.
I think there is lot’s that some of us will learn from this trip and the guy’s on it, about preparation and planning for future trips.

Sadly I am sure that some lessons about kit and preparation won’t be learnt until we are 3000ft up a feckin mountain.

I'd love copies of the routes you make by day (mapsource for Zumo 550) I'll check em against my efforts.

First beers on me. :beer: please bring your own straw. :thumb2

Thank you for this, I prefer this Arsey than any other. :clap

It is very likely that you are the most experienced tourer on this trip.

I haven't done that much at all of this kind of stuff.

Did the Pyrenees in 06/07 and the Route Des Grandes Alpes last year but the rest has been pootling around the Ardennes/Ardeche/Route Napoleon etc.

And I've never been to Morocco as I find sand chafs the bollox somewhat.
:augie

I haven't done that much at all of this kind of stuff.

Did the Pyrenees in 06/07 and the Route Des Grandes Alpes last year but the rest has been pootling around the Ardennes/Ardeche/Route Napoleon etc.

And I've never been to Morocco as I find sand chafs the bollox somewhat.
:augie

I saw your route de napolean thread it looked fantastic.

This year and next year for me is swapping skiing pass outs for bike touring ones.
So i'm really looking forward to seeing some of the alps in green. :Motomartin

nooooooooooooooo :eek:

a chap needs both :)

Yep but I need a good wife more than one of the other things. :blast

I still will have at least 1 ski trip, trade organised to Meribel.

But 3 like this year and a road trip will not happen again anytime soon. :pullface

Magnum,

I know that some frown on GPSs but I'm taking mine !

And obviously we need hotel details to make bookings/choices.

But I'm not fussed about discussing each day as I'm happy to go with your plan,especially as you are fine-tuning what you did last year.

I'll have a copy of the file(s), if that's OK? I've tried mapping Mags' route using the mapping tool thing, but ended up bolloxing it :toungincheek

Of course, you're right - if one tries to let MapSource calculate it, unless one fine tunes the options, one ends up going via Birkenhead. Which is never a good idea...:D And I know because I am one ;)

Accommodation

Today I finally found some time to look for suitable accommodation in Verbier. It's not an easy task as there are surprisingly few Hotels and many are extremely expensive. Not only that most of them are closed in Summer. However, after a few hours of phoning round this is the best solution I can find. There are a few slightly cheaper B&Bs but none have more than 3 rooms and there isn't enough B&Bs to accommodate us all.

The Bristol Hotel, Verbier is a 3 star hotel smack bang in the centre of Verbier. The Manager has said we can park our bikes in their garage overnight and they have plenty of single and double rooms.

Now we are 19 and taking into account request for single rooms, we need 8 doubles/twins and 3 singles. Room rates are CHF 185 per double room and CHF 135 per single including breakfast and all taxes. This means those sharing will be paying CHF 92.50 per night which at today's exchange rate is about £54 per person. B&B's in Verbier charge between CHF 65 and 100 per person per night depending on season.

I haven't booked it yet, but if you want my advice given the location and time of year I think we should.

Comments please chaps.

Today I finally found some time to look for suitable accommodation in Verbier. It's not an easy task as there are surprisingly few Hotels and many are extremely expensive. Not only that most of them are closed in Summer. However, after a few hours of phoning round this is the best solution I can find. There are a few slightly cheaper B&Bs but none have more than 3 rooms and there isn't enough B&Bs to accommodate us all.

The Bristol Hotel, Verbier is a 3 star hotel smack bang in the centre of Verbier. The Manager has said we can park our bikes in their garage overnight and they have plenty of single and double rooms.

Now we are 19 and taking into account request for single rooms, we need 8 doubles/twins and 3 singles. Room rates are CHF 185 per double room and CHF 135 per single including breakfast and all taxes. This means those sharing will be paying CHF 92.50 per night which at today's exchange rate is about £54 per person. B&B's in Verbier charge between CHF 65 and 100 per person per night depending on season.

I haven't booked it yet, but if you want my advice given the location and time of year I think we should.

Comments please chaps.

Looks good.

So what's the plan-we all book our own ?

Back
Top Bottom