Swiss Alps Tour: Day 1 - Vevey to Verbier

Magnum

Reaction score
Time to start planning the trip in more detail. I've made the map 1280 pixels wide so you can see some detail so I hope everyone has at least that screen resolution.

These are the criteria that I am using when putting forward each day's suggested route.

1 - Quality of riding experience. This means you will find motorways are out and twistier A and B roads have been selected with a few C roads thrown in for good measure. I don't think anyone on this trip fancies cruise-controlled days at a constant speed so hopefully this will meet with the group's approval.

2 - Scenery. Enhances 1 above and provides plenty of opportunities for piccies, which I think most of us are interested in taking.

3 - Wilderness Factor. Wherever possible we'll experience nature in all its wild splendour. Rugged mountains with sparse population makes the most naturally beautiful experience you can have on a bike in the middle of Europe.

I should point out that it is virtually impossible to have non-stop amazing riding on every single day. Mountains mean valleys and some valleys can mean congested and slightly boring riding, but those roads are only being chosen when essential.

So, without further delay ladies and gentlemen, let us begin :thumb2

Swiss Alps Tour: Day 1 - Vevey to Verbier

day1.jpg

Distance: 370km/231miles
Approx. Riding Time: 7 Hours
Maximum Altitude: 2,469m
Countries: Switzerland, France, Italy
Route: Vevey, Martigny, Chamonix, Megève, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, Bourg Saint Maurice, Prè Saint Didier, Aosta, Grand Saint Bernard Pass, Verbier.

Overview: This is probably going to be one of the longest days on the tour but it serves a valuable purpose by positioning us back in Valais for Day 2 which will involve less distance. Those that don't fancy the full 370km could take the Mont Blanc Tunnel at Chamonix and arrive at Courmayeaur in Italy. That would be much shorter though at around 240km and 4 1/2 hours riding. I did this last year and it wasn't enough riding, but the option is there if you want it.

Route Summary: Flat along the valley from Vevey to Martigny but imposing views to the 3000m+ mountains each side. Road gets interesting leaving Martigny climbing and twisting towards the French border. The next section from Megève to Prè Saint Didier passing through the Parc National de la Vanoise is all new to me but looks very promising according to the criteria set out above, especially just east of Bourg Saint Maurice. Trundle along to Aosta and then start to climb north-west towards Switzerland again. Over the simply stunning Grand Saint Bernard Pass at 2469m altitude and then down into Switzerland before the final ascent to Verbier at 1531m where we stay for the night and let Yoy buy us beer until we fall over :beer:

You can look at the route in more detail here but as usual Google Maps will not take the Grand Saint Bernard Pass, using the tunnel instead.

This is my suggestion. Let's talk it over and if we agree to confirm this route for Day 1, I'll start exploring accommodation options :beerjug:

Im ok with your routeing as it is your neck of the woods :comfort

Yep, I'm gonna be slightly sensible for once :)eek:) and agree, that as Mags knows the locale(s), I'm more than happy to sit back and let him decide the best looking routes. IMHO, I don't think there's going to be any 'dodgy' routes, somehow..!

However, I wouldn't want to see a motorway or similar once we're more than 100ft above sea leavel :green gri and I'm all for off-piste riding if the mood takes us.

I will also bow to those amongst us that have previous experience here (at least Arsey, I think??) and watch in dumb awe as the routes unfold.

Basically, I'll follow the leader. However, I'm more than happy to muck in with any of the arrangements if Mags needs a hand. Or a foot.

I know what we said about GPS :)thumb) but if there is a GPS file of all this lurking about at some point, I'd like to have a copy to fiddle with in MapSource and GoogleEarth. Purely for research reasons, of course :pullface. If not, I can just create my own.

Anyhow, nuff said. This route gets my vote, if required.

I'm going to lie down in a darkened room now...

Yoy

The higher, the twistier, the more remote the better for me . I will 3rd that magnum knows the area and the roads (Just a bit more pressure on ya mate:thumb2) Keep plannin mate i will be following:thumb2:thumb2

Magnum

The route looks great, but the distance doesn't....370km is way longer than any of the days you did last year, and in your summary of that day (Day 5) you said it was an hour too long and that you were knackered. On that day you did just over 300 km!

I think 250km in one day is more than enough on twisty scenic mountain roads and any further we could be asking for trouble. Tiredness, loss of concentration and cliffs don't mix well.

Plus I want to be able to sit and relax when we stop for a nice cup of tea.

Bandit

Magnum

The route looks great, but the distance doesn't....370km is way longer than any of the days you did last year, and in your summary of that day (Day 5) you said it was an hour too long and that you were knackered. On that day you did just over 300 km!

I think 250km in one day is more than enough on twisty scenic mountain roads and any further we could be asking for trouble. Tiredness, loss of concentration and cliffs don't mix well.

Plus I want to be able to sit and relax when we stop for a nice cup of tea.

Bandit
Good point, and I thought long and hard about this route before posting it.

However, Day 5 last year consisted of this route - Dongo, Chiavenna, Maloja Pass, St Moritz, Bernina Pass, Livogno, Bormio, Stelvio Pass, Sta. Maria Val Mustair, Zernez, Albula Pass, Tiefencastel, Lenz. That's 4 mountain passes and a very high proportion of small twisty roads. I think this year's Day 1 will be easier because Vevey to Martigny (50km) is flat, Pre St Didier to Aosta (30km) is easy which leaves 290km/181miles of lovely twisty mountain roads :thumb2

Yes, it isn't a walk in the park, but if you still think it's too much just follow my suggestion by taking a shortcut through the Mont Blanc Tunnel which reduces the day's riding by 130km to 240km. I did this last year and it wasn't enough. I was only riding for around 4 hours in total. But, if you feel more comfortable with this diversion then you take it mate :thumb2

There's no other route that gets us back to Verbier and the only 2 places to cross the Alps in this region are the Mont Blanc Tunnel and the Grand St Bernard Pass/Tunnel.

Also forgot to say. It's better to have a long day at the beginning of the trip than on Day 5. I was camping last year too which didn't help.

Anyway, as I said you have the option to take a short cut :)

Monsieur Arsey, any comments on this suggested route? I know you have ridden in France quite a bit.

Or any other members of the group?

I've ridden loads in France (going again next weekend, and am in Paris tomorrow on business! :comfort) but can't really comment on the Alps bit.

I've also been around the Pyrenees (12 bikes), but again, much different, I believe, to this bunch of hills.

I'd only say, that to get the job done, I don't mind 1 or 2 days of 'slog', and am looking for a mix of riding types - purposeful and focussed rides, slow meanders, interspersed with the occasional opportunity for mild hooliganism.

That said, I don't and won't speed through villages or take part in silly manouvers, but like to get a shift on when the conditions are good. I'm deeply allergic to roadrash and have no desire to be a knee-down hero, though :)

Apart from that, I can't really interject. :hide

Yoy

Route Day 1

I'm happy to leave the route to you Magnum, as you are the "local", just glad to be coming along.

Not sure about the distance, but there's always the short cut. Anyway, I'll be so wrapped up in the scenery I might not even notice the sore ass until later! :eek

It may actually be a bit less than 7 hrs riding, but if it is think of it like this.

Leave Vevey at 9am, ride for 3.5 hours in the morning plus say 45 mins for cuppa/photo breaks.

Lunch 1.15pm to 2.15pm.

Afternoon, as per morning - 3.5 hrs + 45 mins breaks means arrival in Verbier at 6.30pm.

Days summary - 7 hours riding + 2.5 hours breaks.

Remember, this will almost certainly be the most riding we'll do in any day, and I've got quite a few sight-seeing stops planned for the other days :rob

Went on a spin a couple of years ago from Ireland. Started: Boat trip from Rosslare to Cherbourg from then on biking to Chamonix, Grand St Bernard, down through the hills to Monaco, Nice, Cannes,Toulon, Marseille, Narbonne, Perpignan, Barcelona, Andorra, through the Pyrenees, Biarritz, into northern Spain, and back to Cherbourg.
Meself and herself over 3 weeks.
I recon we can handle the first days milage. It looks great.

looks like i will be joining u for the trip now, the route looks ok for me and i think it will be ok. The run down to chamonix is quite straight and normal roads. Even going on the highway to martigny isnt very long but then we would miss out on the road that skirts around the lake shore and that is nice.

an option is to do the lake shore, join the highway and then blast down to martigny....

some info for the mont blanc tunnel the toll is €22 one way and the tunnel is 11km long

Monsieur Arsey, any comments on this suggested route? I know you have ridden in France quite a bit.

Or any other members of the group?

Looks fine to me but only on iPhone as am away till tomorrow.

I would suggest that you don't offer the route up for discussion too much as there will always be someone saying it is too long/short etc.

Most days there will be a direct route to the hotel so if someone who bought his GS to pop to Tescos and back is finding it too much to actually use the bike then they can go straight to the hotel and put their feet up.

We did over 200 miles a day on Route Des Grandes Alpes last year and it was fine

My 5 Centimes worth as I am near the start point and this is a route a few of us in Geneva do occassionally (fondly known as the Tour du Mont Blanc).

It can be done in a long day without to many problems, but you will need a stretch at the end. Getting away early is the obvious key.

My thoughts/suggestions would be;

1. Hit the Autoroute from Vevey to Martigny. Yes, I know it's autoroute, but the side road is not a great deal of fun as it can be busy with slow local traffic and once you get past Aigle some of the traffic calming and the like starts to wear you down. The view is largely the same from the Autoroute and you will eat the miles, leaving you more time to enjoy the mountain roads later,
2. Martigny to Chamonix is a good run, good roads and fabulous scenery.
3. Flumet to Beaufort is good, but the road deteriorates as you get to the high points (at least it was like that last year). Watch for gravel picked up in some of the corners. The road gets very narrow as you descend into Beaufort
4. Beaufort and across to Italy, also watch road quality. It's good but you won't break speed records.

Bike.jpg
This is on the Italian side

5. The road up to through to Aosta is good and drops into a great gorge for part of the route. It is easy to get tangled up in the main highway, but again, you can make up a little time here if you need to.
6. Aosta to Col du Saint Bernard is straightforward. The real fun is the last climb to the top of the Col and then the decent back to the main road. From there is it straightforward to Verbier.

The route is great, don't be too put off by the distance.

Back
Top Bottom