G1150PS mount

MiGSel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's finished: my new mount to put a gps or whatever you wish to put on a RAM mount above the speedo.

I mounted it today and went for a short test ride: no shaking, no vibrations, perfect sight!

Attachments

• img_3713.jpg
    img_3713.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 4,640
from the side:

Attachments

• img_3714.jpg
    img_3714.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 3,932
I still have my IMO mounted about the speedo, and IMO + gps cables on the left of the speedo.

For the gps-only mount I was thinking about something to hold the cable by means of the two holes on the left side of the base plate.

Or else through the opening between the dashboard and the silver cover plate.

Attachments

• img_3717.jpg
    img_3717.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 3,782
Looks excellent Migsel. How easy is it to fit? Is there another metal plate behind the instrument panel, or do you just bolt it through the plastic?

Finally - how much?

Mike :D

Is it not too far away from the rider to read....a serious question here and not a piss take.

Mike O said:
Looks excellent Migsel. How easy is it to fit? Is there another metal plate behind the instrument panel, or do you just bolt it through the plastic?
It's not bolted Mike. The holes are for fixing an extra plate on top, if you like to mount an IMO like I did. I put in some "dummy" bolts to cover the holes.
The base plate is held in place by the speedo. So what you do is remove the speedo, put the base plate in place and mount the speedo on top of it. There is a 1 mm collar between the dash and the speedo collar.
I took some pics while I did it, I'll make a little manual. The whole operation shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Here's what it looks like while mounting:

Attachments

• img_3701.jpg
    img_3701.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 3,561
ANDY MELTON said:
Is it not too far away from the rider to read....a serious question here and not a piss take.
Not for me, it's very readable. Actually it's much for people who need reading glasses to read a close distance.

And it's much safer than a handlebar mount. You don't take your eyes of the road to read your gps.

And yes Gecko, I can still see the road, I'm not that short :D

Mike O said:
Finally - how much?
This one is the prototype. I'll have some made that will be anodized black instead of painted. They'll be ready by the end of the week and they can change owners for 75 euros, including the RAM ball.
The IMO holes are in, but I'll supply the dummy bolts. You can use those for mouting some cable clips to hold the power cable. Or the holes can be used for mounting other things.
Cheers :beerjug:
Michel

Michel:

Excellent work, it looks really professional. Do you do Honda ST1100's?

A suggestion for you, from the "school of hard knocks" - be very picky about where you run the GPS cable. You want to have enough slack that you can adjust the mount to compensate for sunlight coming directly from the rear in the late afternoon. Also, you don't want to get the wire pinched, I had a problem with this once - see this URL: StreetPilot Cable Failure. When I installed the second cable, I put a fairly long loop in it (you can see this in the third photo from the top), this turned out to be a much better design than the first install, where I tried to hide the cable. Also keep in mind that you want to be able to easily remove the GPSR with gloves on, to do this it is simplest to first remove the GPSR (with cable attached) from the mount, then remove the cable from the GPSR that you have in your hand. This requires a bit more loose cable than you might first think is required.

As for the 'reading glasses' issue you mention, I actually had to get bifocals made specific for the motorcycle - I wanted the GPS to show up in the near vision area, but the side mirrors to show up in the distant vision area - so I hauled the motorcycle down to the optometrist and had her come out into the parking lot and measure everything up (eyepoint to GPS and eyepoint to tankbag map is different - a bit less distance - than what the optometrists normally assume for reading purposes). I was pretty happy with the result, more info and pictures here: Bifocals for the Motorcycle. NB this thread reads from the bottom of the page upwards.

PanEuropean

Definitely interested Michel.

As you are probably aware, I'm in the USA at the moment. I've just ordered a BMW Navigator II and this looks like the ideal way to mount it.
At present I have a SPIII mounted on a RAM mount on the right side of my handlebars. I think I'll use your mount on the new kit, running the cables behind the silver 'underscreen', exiting at the top centre...
How long is the RAM 'screw-joint' on your example (mine's a lot longer - oo-err :p) - I assume the mounting plate you're using is the generic fitting which should work on the BMW mount - do you have part numbers for these 2 pieces?

Can you think of anything I haven't asked ?:D

Mike

Mike O said:
How long is the RAM 'screw-joint' on your example (mine's a lot longer - oo-err :p)
This is the RAM shorty I'm using, ram201b 1.5" on center:
tn_ram201b_jpg.jpg

The standard 2.5" works too, but the shorter one will do and it looks cleaner imho.

I assume the mounting plate you're using is the generic fitting which should work on the BMW mount - do you have part numbers for these 2 pieces?
This is the thing at the back of the Garmin cradle. It fits without drilling and the Navigator cradle is based on the Garmin one, so I suppose that one will fit too. Part no. ram202.
tn_ram202_jpg.jpg

PanEuropean said:
Excellent work, it looks really professional. Do you do Honda ST1100's?
Thank you for the compliment. :D
No Panmounts so far... I design stuff I want to use on my GS. And if I think it's useful for other GS'ers, I make some extra.
But if you park your Pan in my yard, and far enough so nobody can see it, I can take a look at it
s_wink.gif

A suggestion for you, from the "school of hard knocks" - be very picky about where you run the GPS cable. You want to have enough slack that you can adjust the mount to compensate for sunlight coming directly from the rear in the late afternoon. Also, you don't want to get the wire pinched
With this mount there is very little risk of damaging your cable. The mount doesn't move with the handlebars, so al you need to do is route the cable correctly and give it enough slack as you said.

Cheers,
Michel

G1150PS Mount

MiGseL,

Greetings from Downunder..

I have been lurking for a long time, but I can skulk in the dark no longer,,,

I must have one of your GPS mounts..." My pprecciouusss !!"

They ARE the business.. :beerjug:

:bow

Hi Gwilli,

Welcome to the nuthouse :D

I'll send you a note by e-mail with address details and such.

Cheers,
Michel

G1150PS

Hey Burnie,

Gwilli = Canberra, Australia
MiGSel = Zonhoven, Belgium

:beer:

Greg

MiGSel

Hi there Michel

I'd like one as well, pleassssssseeee:beerjug:

Regards