Indicator switch conversion

easier to use a kissan indicator unit, the switches are moulded round the brake an clutch cyls etc, itd be a long job

Sorry if this s a thicky question - but where would i find one of those ?
I'd LOVE a system where left is left, right is right, BUT left again cancels or right again cancels - hope that made sense !! :D

I'd LOVE a system where left is left, right is right, BUT left again cancels or right again cancels - hope that made sense !! :D

It makes perfect sense to me too. You can get this indicator system free, unfortunately however the downside is that it comes free with every new Harley-Davidson :augie

I have learnt that there is a way of turning the headlight OFF by using the indicator buttons. This came from an Amercian forum, so don't know if it'll work with a UK bike. I'll find out soon, as I HATE using headlights in the daytime (as long as the weather is good, obviously) as I think it's dangerous.

It also works on the UK spec bikes but defaults back to 'lights on' everytime you cycle the ignition :thumb2

Hi there.
Being new to BMWs (I hope to have a 1200gs soon), I really want to know if anybody has changed those daft indicator switches for "conventional" ones??

I remember a company in the early 90's did a conversion using Suzuki switch gear.

Now that the K series bikes use a conventional switch, would K switchgear fit and work???

It MUST be possible, as it's only switches and wires......
I don't get on with any type of indicators, i still use hand signals :hide

Are them journo's a bit thick 'better not to indicate in traffic' mind you when you look at the feckin toilet roll they work for 'how to do better stoppie's' and all that bollox, them cnut's have got about as much idea about motorcycling as my @rse has snake catching :headbat:anger

:jes:jes

I ride a gsa its my 4th bmw I do not like the switches if there so good why has no other manufactour copied them? JJH

because those fiddly tumb in/tumb out switches are cheaper, less wires, less contacts, less relays.
and since all the cheapo builders use those stupid things, it's become standard.
even the Lucas '70's flip switches worked better.

These stupid indicator are the grit in the vasaline! You'll soon get used to them. B....cks! After a year I still hate them. The only bike in a long line I've ever had that that using the indicators hasn't become second nature.

Hello Mate,
Don't know if you ever got the answer to your question but I did find this:

http://www.bikerhiway.com/kisan-sig...canceller-and-controller-sm5-plugin-p-88.html

Seems to fit the bill, however, I'm a newbie to the GS scene si I'm not about to say "this is what you need" but I'm considering getting one myself because like you Im not a fan of the cancel switch either.

Hope this helps!

I had the indicator switch on my old R1150GS modified to a 3-position toggle switch on the left-hand side. When I asked the question on here, I was told it was "impossible", but a little auto-electrical place near me said they would take a look at it for me.

Very simply, (I'm not an electrician, auto or otherwise), they took a live lead from the ignition switch, fitted a second indicator relay and ran scotch-lock to the 4 indicators, (does this make sense to anyone?). This left both circuits usable and easy to restore to standard. You can remove the standard plastic indicator switches if you want to avoid confusion.

Why did I do it? I lost my right thumb in an accident and have now now got a non-functioning reconstructed thumb which doesn't allow me to use the standard indicator switches on the right hand side. :thumb

Hi chaps im a little new on this site so be gentle with me however i should have a 09 gs arriving very soon, and at the mo i current run a very much modified k12r and in 2 years ive never been able to get my head around the cancel being on the throttle side, as stated when the throttle is wide open there aint a chance you can hit the cancel without coming off the gas and how many times have you hit the horn and everyone looks makes you feel a cock hey!
So i approached my local stealer to ask if it was possible to swop the horn to cancel button side and vise versa they said cant be done so like a child that you have just said dont touch that i go and touch it! infact i swopped them over so now my cancel is where the horn button was and vise versa and its possible to even swop the button over as they pull out so now my horn is still red and on the throttle side and the cancel button is grey and on the clutch side hey presto!!..
Its easy to do the switches are on a switched earth so remove the cover backs from the switch gear, find the earth for the indicator cancel and the horn and cut em than swop em over job done as soon as my gs arrives this will be the first mod illl do along with the moto conversion and a akro shotgun system cant wait :)

Dave

:confused: why would you want to change them? They take about 5 minutes to get used to and then you'll wonder why all bikes aren't built this way. Did you see this week's MCN ? The test drivers there thought it better not to indicate in traffic than use them !! :eek: No wonder people "think" they won't like them with journos whinging on about the unfamilar. I think they are instinctive and I like my bike a bit different to all the rice burners we see buzzing about. IMHO I think BM took a step backwards with the K1300 indicators and I hope they never do it with the GS. I'm going to have to lie down :D

I have just finished the first 150 miles on my new 1200GS and its my first use of the BMW switches. I agree with the above, it took about half an hour to get used to the switches and now I dont give it a second thought..

I wonder just how many of us have gone for the horn and hit the left indicator instead? :blast

I normally hit the hazard light just before I start filtering, and ones in a while I press the horn instead of the left hand switch.... :blush (could live without that)

Casper

because those fiddly tumb in/tumb out switches are cheaper, less wires, less contacts, less relays.
and since all the cheapo builders use those stupid things, it's become standard.
even the Lucas '70's flip switches worked better.

more is not always better JJH

Back
Top Bottom