'File missing or corrupt'....

jonnie comet

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
My mate has just rung me, re this problem....thinks I can suss it......:rolleyes:

His computer will not boot up. He simply gets to a black screen saying that this file is missing, or corrupt.

windows root\system32\hal.dll

He has tried re installing windows, but the PC will not boot from his disc....he has made his DVD player priority in 'set up' and disconnected all peripherals.

I've had a google 'round, and it seems to be a fairly common problem, but with no common solution....:nenau

I told him that I would ask you guys.....:thumb2

Any ideas?..........PLEASE........:)

Just nipping off to watch AC/DC in Manchester now. Many thanks for any replies......:) :)

Hi

Try following the step by step approach given here.

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/findbyerrormessage/a/missinghaldll.htm

It would be worth finding out what he has changed in the BIOS setup, you need the boot order to have the CD or DVD drive before the hard disk. If he is not confident with changing BIOS settings it is probably best to record all the settings carefully on paper, then set the BIOS to is default settings, then check the boot order and change it to make the CD or DVD drive the first in the boot sequence. This will probably boot and then you can get on with trying to fix the problem.

Steve

Back
Top Bottom