Garmin V versus Streetpilot

John Armstrong

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a GPS and like the idea of autorouting as the better half drives a lot, and if it does this I could sell the idea to her. So it looks like the V or streetpilot, the first of which seems to be about half the price of the latter.

It can be down a lot to personal choice, but has anyone any views on why Streetpilot would be the better choice?

Ta.

Street Pilot has a bigger screen and takes memory cards ( very expensive propriatory ones from Garmin). V has ony 19M of ram whereas SP takes upto 128M. Go to Joe Mehaffey site for comparative reviews.

As you say the space for detailed maps is "limited" on the V, and as I'll probably get most out of it in France wondering which of the "Toutes Directions" is best to follow then the Streetpilot is probably the better bet. Unless a V comes up nice and cheap.

John

Judge now has one for sale, but to give you a clue as to the direction you should go in, it's been replaced by a SP3..

Yes its rather noticeable that ebay etc have V's for sale and no streetpilot 3's. The decision now seems where best to get a deluxe 3 from, as the on-line dealers seem to be of a similar price but some offer extras, though some of these seem to be overpriced! Or is it better going with someone like Bracken?

GPS V

I've got a GPS V and i'm very pleased with it. As stated the only drawback is the small memory and the slow download of maps because it uses a serial port connection.

Having said that its small size is very handy & you can put it in a pocket for security.

Its instructions are very clear & for the price i don't really think you can beat it.

For good prices try the GPS Warehouse (they have a web site but I can't remember the address) or www.expansys.com.
Incidently the GPS Warehouse will price match any other supplier.

Back
Top Bottom