Diesel Adventure bike breaks cover

sorry to call your bluff FP, 'tis a couple of grand cheaper.
See my long post on P1.
Didn't say it is cheap, though.

If you ride intergalactic mileages, it might make sense...
Merc. engine bits have world wide availability, I imagine.

sorry to call your bluff FP, 'tis a couple of grand cheaper.
See my long post on P1.
Didn't say it is cheap, though.

If you ride intergalactic mileages, it might make sense...
Merc. engine bits have world wide availability, I imagine.

It certainly isn't cheap. I'd be interested to see how the CVT works especially in traffic as it would save a lot of gearchanging!

The engine does sound like a diesel but its hard to tell from the video how loud it would be. The turbo whistle is nice though!

FP.:thumb

Diesel

........so what oil will it use [ :D:D:D ] , and what will the service intervals be ?

Steve

Tell us more about the servicing and engine life etc and what about the rubber belt......?

Do you just pop the bike into the local Mercedes Benz dealer and get them to service the engine etc..........!

I've checked out the Track website but there's not a lot of info on the extras such as the Touratech Zegas etc.

FP:thumb.

........so what oil will it use ....

There'll still be 'oil' threads, just on a different track ;)

I forsee endless ones on the lines of 'Tesco Value veg oil gives better acceleration than the Chinese Supermarket veg oil but the latter's cheaper'

ad nauseum.....

Hello FP. I am in no way connected with Track, that inspite of the recent and uncharacteristic flurry of posts.

Engine is indeed a Merc. unit, with hydraulic tappets. So no fun to had there, anymore.

The CVT? Dunno who supplies that. Van Doorne (now part of Bosch) is in Tilburg, NL - but that's only an assumption.
Service life of belt? Don't know, sorry. But I wouldn't expect it to be whole-life, so a service item. Cost? Ditto.
There must be folk on here with actual technical experience of modern, post-rubber band CVTs that can take a view.(?)

The bloke started off in business prepping 'bikes for long trips, inc making Vern type boxes / racks. It would be odd to my mind if he therefore directed
his customers to others makers, but stranger things have happened.:nenau

Interesting mini-test on Neil's 2nd linky.

From their own site, they are going to use their home market as guinea pigs,
which is nice.

What I don't get is why? :confused:

If the advantage of this bike is the MPG then I can't see it selling very well. Who is genuinely interested on the MPG of their bike? :nenau

Is it for the range then? We all had the option of buying the ADV version of our bikes but the majority didn't, and as for those that did: how often do you genuinely use that additional range. Half the time I find myself riding with vanilla GSs that stop for prtrol before I need to. :nenau

Is it to be 'different' then? We all had the option to nuy 'alternative' adventure bikes but most didn't. Why? Because the GS does it all, so we end up here :rolleyes:

So this thing is likely to weigh a ton and offer benefits that none of us need or want. Doomed to failure say I :teacher

Tell us more about the servicing and engine life etc and what about the rubber belt......?

Do you just pop the bike into the local Mercedes Benz dealer and get them to service the engine etc..........!

I've checked out the Track website but there's not a lot of info on the extras such as the Touratech Zegas etc.

FP:thumb.

(rubber belt) no not any more, well in cars and bike scoots anyway.
My Burgman 650 has a belt that is warrantied for the life of the bike:D
Or so i have been told by Suzuki Europe.:thumb2
How often do you see Auto motors in for a new belt?
Would be nice to see it in the flesh so to speak..

Why?

What I don't get is why? :confused:

If the advantage of this bike is the MPG then I can't see it selling very well. Who is genuinely interested on the MPG of their bike? :nenau

Is it for the range then? We all had the option of buying the ADV version of our bikes but the majority didn't, and as for those that did: how often do you genuinely use that additional range. Half the time I find myself riding with vanilla GSs that stop for prtrol before I need to. :nenau

Is it to be 'different' then? We all had the option to nuy 'alternative' adventure bikes but most didn't. Why? Because the GS does it all, so we end up here :rolleyes:

So this thing is likely to weigh a ton and offer benefits that none of us need or want. Doomed to failure say I :teacher

I'm not so sure it's doomed to failure I think it'll fill a small niche in the marketplace somewhere........!:D

I know this is a GS site and the GS is the 'benchmark' Adventure Tourer but there's room for plenty more bikes of that type. ADVrider is full of different makes, models and sizes of Adventure Touring bikes.

I am interested in how many mpg I get, the fuel is the next highest cost after buying a bike for me(other than the Touratech bill) some folk buy three and a half litre Mercedes and BMW diesels for £45k and then brag that they can get 40mpg so is the price of the Track really an issue?:augie

I ride an HP2 Enduro with a range of 120miles and a seat like a plank the bike does about 50mpg when ridden carefully so the extra range of the Track could be useful.

My other bike is a Buell Ulysses with a 1203cc Harley engine and belt drive it has a range of about 180miles and again gives about 50mpg. It's got a good luggage capacity and is very good two up but not really much good 'offroad'. it also vibrates like a cement mixer gone hard so the Smart diesel can't be much worse can it?

Mrs P rides a BMW F650GS with a Rotax 650cc single cylinder engine. It does about 60mpg and has a range of well over 200miles when she's riding it. Its got good luggage capacity and is reliable enough aswell!:eek:aw that's a GS isn't it.....!:blast

I could have bought a 1200GSA but every other bike I see these days is a BMW GS which isn't a bad thing but i'd like a bike that's a wee bit different from the 'Mondeo' of bikes.

I'm not saying i'd rush out and buy a Track but the huge fuel range and cheap running costs after you've bought the thing appeals to me. I would imagine the service interval on the 'Smart' engine would be huge and the engine should be good for thousands and thousands of miles without problems.

The front and rear end of the bike are already used and should be reliable enough but I don't know anything about CVT's except the ones on the big agricultural machinery we use and they are plenty tough enough for the job.:thumb2

It'd be a bugger getting a service though as you'd have to get the fork oil changed at the local KTM dealer. The engine oil changed at the Merc dealer and the diff oil changed at the BM dealer.........:confused:

It'll be interesting to see what does happen to this bike as it developes and after all the American military are already using the KLR diesel.........!:blast

FP.

I find it very strange that a major manufacturer hasn`t come up with a decent diesel bike, particularly the likes of BMW who have diesel experience from their car division. There are plenty of us who would buy one. I just don`t get it.:nenau

I'm not so sure it's doomed to failure I think it'll fill a small niche in the marketplace somewhere........!:D

I know this is a GS site and the GS is the 'benchmark' Adventure Tourer but there's room for plenty more bikes of that type. ADVrider is full of different makes, models and sizes of Adventure Touring bikes.

I am interested in how many mpg I get, the fuel is the next highest cost after buying a bike for me(other than the Touratech bill) some folk buy three and a half litre Mercedes and BMW diesels for £45k and then brag that they can get 40mpg so is the price of the Track really an issue?:augie

I ride an HP2 Enduro with a range of 120miles and a seat like a plank the bike does about 50mpg when ridden carefully so the extra range of the Track could be useful.
My other bike is a Buell Ulysses with a 1203cc Harley engine and belt drive it has a range of about 180miles and again gives about 50mpg. It's got a good luggage capacity and is very good two up but not really much good 'offroad'. it also vibrates like a cement mixer gone hard so the Smart diesel can't be much worse can it?

Mrs P rides a BMW F650GS with a Rotax 650cc single cylinder engine. It does about 60mpg and has a range of well over 200miles when she's riding it. Its got good luggage capacity and is reliable enough aswell!:eek:aw that's a GS isn't it.....!:blast

I could have bought a 1200GSA but every other bike I see these days is a BMW GS which isn't a bad thing but i'd like a bike that's a wee bit different from the 'Mondeo' of bikes.

I'm not saying i'd rush out and buy a Track but the huge fuel range and cheap running costs after you've bought the thing appeals to me. I would imagine the service interval on the 'Smart' engine would be huge and the engine should be good for thousands and thousands of miles without problems.

The front and rear end of the bike are already used and should be reliable enough but I don't know anything about CVT's except the ones on the big agricultural machinery we use and they are plenty tough enough for the job.:thumb2

It'd be a bugger getting a service though as you'd have to get the fork oil changed at the local KTM dealer. The engine oil changed at the Merc dealer and the diff oil changed at the BM dealer.........:confused:

It'll be interesting to see what does happen to this bike as it developes and after all the American military are already using the KLR diesel.........!:blast

FP.

Plus it will run on the red stuff :rolleyes:

Kidding :hide :thumb2

When I got my standard 1150GS, I used it to commute on & got really frustrated with having to refuel every third day, so I got an Adv tank when one came up on eBay. It only cost £170 at the time as it was when the Adv had first come out & came off an accident damaged one, when most people didn;t realised how easy they were to retrofit. It meant I only had to refuel once & was good for the week.

To my mind, this is exactly where a diesel would be the ideal machine &, with one of these, I'd have been able to do a couple of weeks on a tank. That's convenient...

When I got my standard 1150GS, I used it to commute on & got really frustrated with having to refuel every third day, so I got an Adv tank when one came up on eBay. It only cost £170 at the time as it was when the Adv had first come out & came off an accident damaged one, when most people didn;t realised how easy they were to retrofit. It meant I only had to refuel once & was good for the week.

To my mind, this is exactly where a diesel would be the ideal machine &, with one of these, I'd have been able to do a couple of weeks on a tank. That's convenient...

Agreed, all the hype over the admittedly attractive new Ducati and its advanced electronics would pale into insignificance if one of the big players brought out a diesel with a comfortable cruising speed of 90mph (ultimate top speed is irrelevant in my book for a long distance bike) which could do upwards of 70mpg and had a range of 250miles before hitting the reserve of 50miles.

Mutley, many don't go for the Adv. version because of the size / weight issues.
One day I'll have a go at off-roading - but not with 30 litres of fuel sloshing about. Far too weedy for that.

I'm happy with my 11xx's fuel consumption, because I've been used to sports bikes returning low 30s consumption.
I am however riding more often and further than for years and it is not a cheap hobby doing this.

BMW are interested enough to have visited the (Tracker) factory twice.

Diesel and petrol prices are roughly the same in GB.
Here in the Benelux and Germany, diesel much cheaper than petrol:

http://www.drive-alive.co.uk/fuel_prices_europe.html

In NL, diesel is more than 30c / litre (or E1.50 / Imp. g) cheaper than petrol...

NL is perhaps a more extreme an example of this trend than other countries,
but say you lived here and rode 10,000mls / year.

If you were restrained enough to achieve 45mpg from a petrol bike:
@ E1.43 / litre = E1414 / year.

And a diesel one doing 125mpg:
@ E1.09 / litre =E388 / year.

That's over a E1000 per year saving.

Much less for GB riders, given different fuel prices structure. But maybe this helps the thing's saleability over here?

Back
Top Bottom