Escape to Colditz

It's not a kick in the stones from the Sachsenring probably the best motogp weekend on the calender for food hotels etc

Certainly is but I can't go until August. I've been to the Brno MotoGP quite a few times since the Masaryk Circuit opened and the GP circus went to back to Czech.

I used to live nearby in Zastavka so always freeload on my old colleagues when local hotels reach millionaire pricing levels.

Stayed in this hotel on the outskirts of Colditz http://www.waldhaus-colditz.de/ and would highly recommend it. A bit quirky but good.

Proprietor Günther Krebs
Lausicker Straße 60
04680 Colditz
Tel: +49 (0) 34381/3371

Stayed there in 2002 - it's about a mile outside of the main town square (see last pic below - view from town square with castle up on the hill)

Stayed there twice, last year they'd 'themed' all the rooms ... We got a Moroccan room :thumb

Highly recommended :)

Stayed in the castle during the summer was more like a hotel than a youth hostel I think I paid 22 euro breakfast included and had a room to myself.

The escape tour is worthwhile as well and they have been working on the POW museum realising that more people visit for that element of the castles history than any other, they are also rebuilding the glider in the attic to add to the museum apparently in the years following the end of WW2 it was used for fuel to help heat the castle. The BBC were filming while I was there expect to see Colditz reruns this year....

and on a further note and subject to signing a waver form they they let you store your bike in the courtyard overnight.

Stayed in the hostel in August for a couple of nights. The hostel is in the outer courtyard and has been heavily modernised after it was a hospital until recently.

The bit we know and love from the famous boardgame and TV show is less renovated and is the inner courtyard.

The tour takes you from the guardroom (where the museum is) into the inner courtyard. It's not as bleak as the B&W photos but then hardly anything in clour hardly ever is!

The French tunnel is still there and you can see but not jump down it in the chapel and then into the wine cellar where they hacked a hole in the wall. Being frogs they may have been side tracked by the wine but they apparently ignored it before getting caught.

The rooms where the prisoners were are stoll bare and empty and considerng after the war the commies used it as a prison for non-commies, then an old folks home it is still pretty bleak and unwelcoming.

Worth the trip though.

Back
Top Bottom